The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » To our Service Men and Women (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious here. Are there any special services available for our young men and women serving in hazardous areas overseas? I would personally be willing to cover the renewal membership fees for a few members serving Freedom in Afghanistan, Iraq or other hazardous zones. I doubt that I stand alone.

What of our peers in Israel and Lebanon? Do we look away from one or another in the name of political correctness or do we view them as Brothers & Sisters of the wand engulfed in service?

Shouldn't these members be recognized in the Linking Ring along with their contact information for cards and care packages...or is this too formidable a task? Is it possible that we have so large a number of international members serving the cause of Freedom that it might unduly dominate the journal? I have no doubt that the brothers and sisters from all the free nations, who are there, have been there and will be going there all have smiles and stories to share. Shouldn't we be doing more to recognize them?

And...God forbid...should one of our own fall in this service, shouldn't the Broken Wand ceremony be performed by a Brotherhood peer who wears or wore the uniform? Shouldn't the bronze Brotherhood's seal stand next to that of the branch or nation of service where they rest? Don't we owe them this?

Just a thought.
Skip Smile
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Steve Hart
View Profile
Veteran user
Cocoa, FL
388 Posts

Profile of Steve Hart
Hey Skip,

We do. Yes the I.B.M. does help out with our members who are serving in the military as the need arises.

At last count the number of members were few. I will check on this and find out how many members are currently serving in the military and how many are overseas in the danger zones.

If you wish to help out just contact Sindie at the I.B.M. Headquarters and she will put you on a calling list when the need arises.

Meanwhile, look for other members or potential members in need. From my experience I have found it is not always wise to pay for someone's first time membership. There is a limited amount of commitment to I.B.M. until they participate and understand the value.

If they are struggling to pay their membership once they have joined then it could be useful to help them out. The same goes for a Youth member.

You are the best judge of how to make donations.

Steve Hart
I.B.M. membership committee-Chair
www.SteveHartSpeaks.com
www.magic2motivate.com
"Motivational Magicians are some of the highest paid magicians, find out why?"
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I figured we must be doing something. Difficult to imagine an organization as great as the IBM not doing something in this regard. I also agree with the initial membership. My offer was for the renewal...and not so much as a "Helping hand" but as a "Thank you for your service." I'll contact Sindie as you suggested...should have thought of this myself.

Again, however, my inquiry was not so much about service members facing difficulties but more about recognizing those US and international members who are serving in these hazardous areas...along the lines of the convalescing members list or the who's-performing-where list in MAGIC Magazine.

No complaints - Lots of compliments! I love the IBM and the gifted minds who reside within. Thanks, Steve.
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Mike Gorman
View Profile
New user
Cary, North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Mike Gorman
Skip,
Thanks for the note and the suggestion that we find a way to say "thanks" to our armed services magicians serving overseas. I'll mention the idea to Phil Willmarth, Executive Editor of The Linking Ring, when I see him tomorrow.

Perhaps a contact list could be published for those servicemen and women who wish to correspond with other magicians via email or snailmail? I hope it wouldn't be much of a challenge to keep the messages positive and uplifting... that's the only danger in publishing a listing.
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
See there...I thought Phil had retired his esteemed editorship or I'd have mentioned it to him at the last Ring meeting. Just goes to show...

I can only assume that there is some political or, as you suggested, maintenance issue that I'm not aware of or we'd be doing this already.

Thank you, Mike,
:) Skip

Suppo
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis
101 Posts

Profile of Suppo
Resurrecting this dead thread. Sorry, kind of new to this forum. This is a rather personal issue for me having been there, done that. Suppo is Navy slang for Supply Officer.

The deal with service people and magic and IBM or SAM is this:

A lot of us get into it, some of us are lucky enough to have a base out of which we operate that allows us to get to know some locals, get into a ring and get membership into the IBM or SAM. Those, like many who enjoy magic, are the exception.

I know that when I became aware of IBM, I was at a remote duty station almost within the continental US and at least a day's drive from civilization (thank you Denny Haney for the support during that time). Not much chance of getting to meet magicians. I received material for the IBM but did not know any magicians who would endorse me. Life sucks, you get used to it quickly, specially serving. I gave up on the idea because I could not get endorsements.

Now, the IBM isn't about exclusion, I learned that after geting hurt and exiting my occupation. I did contact IBM HQ and voiced my consternation. I felt allowances were not being made for persons who had unusual occupations and were not capable of fulfilling those requirements. I was offered significant help but haven't really had the opportunity to cash in on that help until now (it takes some of us some time to find our next career). Unfortunately, the help that can be offered is still a little known fact. For those who offered to help at and around IBM HQ, thank you very much.

Reason 2: I would also offer that whereas $50 or $60 isn't a lot for an Officer, a professional, or a semi- successful pro, it is a heck of a lot for an E-6 on down, specially with a family. You never forget going to OCS and getting E-5 pay for 13 weeks. It makes you appreciate your guys even more living in their world financially for a little while. My first check, I asked if it was a partial pay. It was $400. Imagine caring for a family getting $800 a month.

If you want to help someone serving, make it easy for them to get in if they are expressing a sincere interest. Keep your eyes and ears open. If you meet a service person who is talking to you about magic, tell them about the societies and tell them to contact the HQs and explain that they are serving. Make sure they know allowances can be made. Even offer to endorse them if they are interested.

Regardless of politics and money concerns for others in need, these guys are willing and proud to stand the watch, risk all, and do what it takes to protect us and our beloved country, regardless of location. Personally, they are the best we have, they volunteered to stand that watch for the rest of us, and deserve any help that can be offered.
afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
What about sending care packages? I know my car club puts together boxes of car magazines to send over to Iraq for the troops. What do you guys think about sending over a package of magic tricks, cards, etc... to any magician servicemen serving overseas. I mean, what better to help raise morale than a little magic...
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
Care packages work wonders. My daughter is not a magician, per se, but she dabbles in the simpler tricks and she inherited my love for a great practical joke. While she was serving outside of Baghdad, I'd send her bi-weekly packages with paperback novels, magazines, snack foods, music CD's, popular TV show DVDs and a selection of practical jokes & tricks. Her unit looked forward to these packages as much as she did...and humor helped to make their time in-country far more bearable. Even her commander, having been accidentally stung by a joke or two, commented on her contribution to the unit's Espirit d'Corps. If your Assembly or Ring has a member or a family member serving overseas, try to send a monthly package full with "Home". The payback will be immeasurable!!

Skip Smile

afillius
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of afillius
Excellent, I will suggest this on Thursday at the meeting.
www.stsgroupinc.com
pro audio/video/lighting

Great magic is about creating great images - Jay Sankey
Mike Gorman
View Profile
New user
Cary, North Carolina
58 Posts

Profile of Mike Gorman
Suppo,
A tip for you and any other readers who may be hard strapped to come up with $40 membership fee... just contact the HQ of IBM (and SAM) and tell them of your plight. It's that simple! Even endorsements are possible through the HQ in many cases!

I know that several of the IBM board members personally sponsor some members who can't come up with the fee... and all this is done resprectfully and quietly so others do not know of the gift.

Both IBM & SAM also have appropriated funds for these type of things... but it must start with the person contacting the headquarters to state their need! I know that ESP is a whole brand of magic, but it won't work in these cases.

I'm happy that you made the right contact and I'm sure that most major magic organizations will be happy to help those less fortunate join the great magic brotherhood!

Mike Gorman
Past IBM Int'l President
Suppo
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis
101 Posts

Profile of Suppo
Mr. Gorman, thank you for the confirmation. You were one of the people who replied to my concern when originally voiced and that should be mentioned. Thank you again for the reply back then as well.

Not to mislead anyone, I, myself, am comfortable financially. I did make $800 a month during OCS, but the officer pay got a whole lot better after graduation. For me, I have just been in need of sponsors. I had a slightly interesting time trying to find a career after military service and put my hobby on hold until this year.

The form is in the mail Mr. Gorman Smile
MagicManBx
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of MagicManBx
WoW. For me to see something like this makes me very proud of my fellow magicians. I'm active duty military (USAF for 6 years) and have been doing magic for almost 10 years. I started when I was about 14. I know I'm going to be yelled at for this, because I'm not yet an IBM member, but I'm going to join. I havn't just had the spare cash lying around, but I will! Aside from that I was deployed to Africa and had I known about this I would loved a Magicians care package or something. I got one care package from family while I was deployed and it made my day. I can only imagine what a deployed person who receives a package with the IBM logo would think! I think it's a great idea and I'm definately for it. I know I have no say in this, but I will join! Now that I think about it, I have to join or I wont be able to go to any more ring meetings... Smile LoL....
- Orlando
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to ring in here about my experience. I am currently enlisted E-5 in the US Air Force, as well as the President of IBM ring 172 in Tucson. I just recently returned from the Middle East and while there my SAM membership was due. At the time I did not have my membership card and could not pay online, so I contacted SAM Nationals so that I could get my number and pay. I recieved a message from them stating that they would pay for my Dues for the year and thanked me for serving. I was quite impressed. I understand that dues can become expensive and at times there are more important things to spend your money on. I just had a son who is now 16 months and my wife stopped working to stay home with him. So money is tighter then it used to be. I know it was SAM that paid my dues, but I am sure if it would have been IBM they would have done the same thing, or at least I hope they would have. Actually, I was going to pay them and wasn't asking for a handout, but they did anyway. This is stand-up from a National Organization, who has never met me and I am glad to be members of both Organizations.

As far as what you can do to help those members serving, on thing that I did while I was there was signed up for a website call booksforsoldiers.com. This website allows people to request books and Cd/DVD's and people go to the site and buy them for the soldiers. One guy I met over there just started getting into magic and he requested Royal Road and a few other books, all of which where bought for him, by non-magicians that just want to help out. It may be nice to see some type of add in the Linking Ring/MUM requesting information on members who are deployed. This information could come from Local Rings and clubs and maybe some thing could be set up to get them care packages of anytype. There is nothing better than getting a package in the mail, I can tell you that.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Take care.

Scott Fridinger, SSgt USAF.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
Hey everyone.

Just wanted to ring in here about my experience. I am currently enlisted E-5 in the US Air Force, as well as the President of IBM ring 172 in Tucson. I just recently returned from the Middle East and while there my SAM membership was due. At the time I did not have my membership card and could not pay online, so I contacted SAM Nationals so that I could get my number and pay. I recieved a message from them stating that they would pay for my Dues for the year and thanked me for serving. I was quite impressed. I understand that dues can become expensive and at times there are more important things to spend your money on. I just had a son who is now 16 months and my wife stopped working to stay home with him. So money is tighter then it used to be. I know it was SAM that paid my dues, but I am sure if it would have been IBM they would have done the same thing, or at least I hope they would have. Actually, I was going to pay them and wasn't asking for a handout, but they did anyway. This is stand-up from a National Organization, who has never met me and I am glad to be members of both Organizations.

As far as what you can do to help those members serving, on thing that I did while I was there was signed up for a website call booksforsoldiers.com. This website allows people to request books and Cd/DVD's and people go to the site and buy them for the soldiers. One guy I met over there just started getting into magic and he requested Royal Road and a few other books, all of which where bought for him, by non-magicians that just want to help out. It may be nice to see some type of add in the Linking Ring/MUM requesting information on members who are deployed. This information could come from Local Rings and clubs and maybe some thing could be set up to get them care packages of anytype. There is nothing better than getting a package in the mail, I can tell you that.

Anyway, thanks for listening. Take care.

Scott Fridinger, SSgt USAF.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » To our Service Men and Women (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL