The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Copperfield (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Ya I saw that one, I thought the whole show was great. Although the pregnancy one was a little much for younger kids I think. I liked his routine with the duck bucket and the slow mo.
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
negrette
View Profile
Regular user
Washington, DC
178 Posts

Profile of negrette
I have to agree with the initial poster here. I saw Copperfield a few months back when his tour had him in DC. He very obviously was not into the show himself, which really really took something away from it for me. The illusions were incredible and he's a great performer, but when you can see his heart is not in it, it really reduces the overall affect of the show. I honestly walked out of the theatre and was disappointed.

I saw Copperfield once before, maybe ten years ago, and it was the complete opposite. He was into it and completely filled with energy. I remember loving that show and it was one of the first shows I've seen. Just goes to show that presentation is really what its all about.

Oh, and on another note, I also saw Ricky Jay perform his 52 Assistants show while it was in DC. Now there is a man who, though he's done the same act for decades, still makes it look incredible. I've seen the HBO special and the act is basically the same, yet his presentation is flawless and the show is an absolute joy to watch, even when you know the effects he's going to display all the way down to the patter he uses. The difference was night and day. I have to say perhaps Copperfield should stop performing for a few years.
Mallusionist definition of the Simple force: The cards are fanned and if the spectator tries to take the wrong card, the magician holds onto the deck really, really tight.
http://www.mallusionist.com
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Hang on.. Copperfields Grandfather supposedly supported him in his career in magic (according to grand daddy's aces) and in this one he didn't..?

tsk tsk tsk what a wierd old man!
Carrie Sue
View Profile
Veteran user
Auburn, MI
332 Posts

Profile of Carrie Sue
Copperfield jumped the shark approximately 10 years ago. He IS fatigued, he IS snippy with audience members, and his show is NO FUN anymore.

And I've seen him five times, so I know what I'm talking about.

He should retire or take a sabbatical and recapture the wonder he's lost at what he's doing.

Carrie
www.proximityillusions.com

ASLAN IS ON THE MOVE!
elecktra
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of elecktra
Maybe now that he has purchased that island with the magic water, he will take a nice long vacation and come back good as new Smile 500+ shows a year ain't easy people! He still reigns in my book.
Bendy
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
518 Posts

Profile of Bendy
Quote:
On 2006-09-24 02:47, elecktra wrote:
Maybe now that he has purchased that island with the magic water, he will take a nice long vacation and come back good as new Smile 500+ shows a year ain't easy people! He still reigns in my book.

I'm hoping the whole island with the fountain of youth thing is a PR stunt to stir up interest in an upcoming special or something. Otherwise, he's lost his grip on reality; which would be sad.

I saw Copperfield in January of 2001 and it was a great show. He seemed happy to be there and not at all fatigued, bored or arrogant. We, (the audience), go no self-promotional video loop before or during the show. I had heard from a friend who had seen him more than a dozen times that David always signs autographs after the show, so I was looking forward to that. Much to my disappointment, that year was the first year that he did not stick around and sign autographs.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Quote:
And I've seen him five times, so I know what I'm talking about.
Carrie

I've seen him 10 times, and I say you're wrong.

Lots of us still enjoy DC's shows, and wish him to continue.

In the end, if you're not happy with his shows.......DON'T GO!
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1072 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I am planning on seeing him on Jan. I am very excited. I tried to get another fellow magician to come with, but he has see this act 3 times he says. Says he can quote the jokes DC will use lol. I am also thinking this whole thing with Musha Kay makes me think DC is getting ready to get out of magic for some reason heh. Anyway, I get to cross off one of the 5 names on my "To See" list of magicians.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
I am surprised how people have come down on his show. Think of the practice and design time on some of his illusions. A little more than scotch and soda. If you had to invest a couple of years into one illusion don't you think you would be doing it more than one tour? He has eliminated some illusions and replaced them with others over time, maybe not as quickly as the magic community would like however. I have seen comedians who have had the exact same jokes/routine for the past 5 years, even Cosby had the same skit the 3 years that I saw him. I missed him in Nov by a couple of days otherwise I would have gone to his show again and the last one was about 5 months ago. Sure I would love to see another special with him or some new awesome illusions or for that matter even some of his performances released (other than Illusion 15yrs). Well Joey I hope you enjot the show!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Police Magician
View Profile
Special user
Georgia
648 Posts

Profile of Police Magician
I have only witnessed his show once. That was also in Elmira, New York in 1985. I have not had the opportunity to see him again, but would love too.

Glenn

Click here to view attached image.
emanmagic5
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
614 Posts

Profile of emanmagic5
[quote]On 2006-07-24 00:50, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:

Howie Mandel plays a similar video at the begining of his shows. It plays over and over and over.. then just as it gets to the end.... ( the word stop comes up on the screen ) it begins to rewind in play mode and then start all over again. The audience starts to get upset and then Howie appears and asks... " have you had enough?"

wait howie is a comidien right?and anyone know when the foutian of youth special is coming or know anything about it?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic names and the media » » Copperfield (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL