The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Down-Selling a client? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
For years I have tried to master the sales technique of 'Up-selling:' the technique of adding on features to clients - The bigger show, adding strolling magic to a show, etc.

But recently, I have noticed my desire to down-sell. I have added stage hyponosis to my 'menu' but now that I have done a bunch of shows, I realize that there are really a set of prefered conditions for having a good show. That means that when people call for a possible show, I find myself sometimes steering people away from contracting the show.

Most recently, I got a call and they were looking for entertainment. When I asked about the event they responded that they expect around 200 people will be held at the local Aquarium.

My first thoughts were that the comedy magic is probably a better bet than the hypno - the show can work with a smaller and/or distracted crowd. My second thought was "They probably don't really need any entertainment at all; strolling entertainment at the most."

In terms of fulfilling my role as 'full service provider' should I suggest that they skip the formal entertainment or do I give them what they want? This is definately a company I would like to work for again, so I would rather lean to building a relationship rather then cashing in right now.

Any thoughts?

peter gross
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Your post isn't clear about what they asked for when they contacted you. Just "entertainment" or "we heard you do this really great hypno show"?

"I could do [show A] for you, but if I could suggest, Mister Executive, - and you know I've been satisfying clients like you for 1,325 years - given the setting and the crowd you described, I think [Show B] would really make your people happy, and I could offer it to you at a very attractive price."
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I gotta say this.

I am not a fan of the "Do you want fries with that" school of thought. I do what I do.

BUT my markets allow for it. Each market I work calls for a spacific show, and odds are quite high they are booking me because they have seen this show already. I charge what I charge and everyone is happy.

As for giving them what they want, what they want is to be entertained. With the hypnosis show you can't always do that in the constraints they mention. So you can't do the show. No matter what they want. It has physical limitations if done properly.

I have always presented things as "here is what I do and here is how it can fit what you need".

Like I said "do you want fries with that" really dosn't work for me personally. I know all about the slicing the salami theory and yada yada yada. I just don't do it. You will find that on many if not most occasions people will yeild to your wisdom. After all they called you for a reason now didn't they?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Oops! I think we agree! Should we start over? Repeat customers are trying to repeat a success. Why not?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Mr. Sanders, if you meant you agree with me, isn't that one of the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
What I do ( management) we explain what fits the best for their event and budget......

Always charge a fee that you are happy with.......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Down-Selling a client? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL