The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Closer Suggestions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jondark445
View Profile
Special user
716 Posts

Profile of jondark445
Hi:

I'm really having trouble finding the right item to close my show with. Barring a chair suspension or other larger illusions anyone have suggestions for something nice, splashy and that will end the show with a nice bang?

--Jon
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
Jon,

It's very difficult to suggest an appropriate finish for your act. It depends a great deal on your style of performance.

For instance, my finish for a children's show is a coloring book. (It's not the standard one. It's one that is no longer available.) I get a great reaction from it and I close all my children's shows with it. (I have about 5 different children's shows.)

The coloring book doesn't necessarily fit your request for a "splashy" routine and it will only end your show with a bang if you have the right routine.

A thorough description of your show and performing style would be necessary to give suggestions.

Michael
Brian Lehr
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Canada
1605 Posts

Profile of Brian Lehr
As already mentioned it probably depends on what kind of show you are doing. Is it a daycare show? Birthday party? Stage show at festival or school?

Currently I use three closers, depending on the venue and the package chosen by the event organizer: Candy made via Dove Pan, Bearded Dragon production via Bunny Box, Chair Suspension.

If you do a search in the "Little Darlings Index", you will find this topic listed there, and you should find many options given that should help you.

Brian
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
I would recommend pretty much anything by Wolfs Magic. My personal favourite closers would be Chicken Sword or Wacky Weasel.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Jon:

I think it's generally considered strong theater to close your show without any audience members "on stage" - it's just you (and your hired assistants if you have them). So, think about something that's a very strong piece of magic that can be performed without audience members.

Now, if this is a birthday party performance, I think you do end with the birthday child assisting since the whole show is put on for that child's enjoyment.

Ron Reid
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Jon,

You can close with almost anything. The thing that makes it a closer is how you structure it. Use sight gags and jokes. Build up the finale with the audience clapping in rhythm or by counting 123 with you. Any trick or stunt that has a defined finish can be a closer. I closed a show today with the eggs and glasses done with golf balls and no water in the cups. It got one heck of a reaction because I had built it up.

I debated long and hard about a chair suspension or a bunny as a closer and in the end decided that I didn't want to lug that much stuff or put an animal through the rigors of being on the road with me all day.

I would strongly suggest the Jozo Bozo video on milking. This guy teaches a PHD level class on children's stage craft on that DVD. His entire 30 minute children's show fits in a small case. It is a GREAT show. I believe he closes with a blendo and a change bag. It has a very defined finish and a ton of opportunity for jokes, sight gags, and personality. It plays for those kids like a house on fire.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
derrick
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug holes for
1044 Posts

Profile of derrick
I disagree about haveing the birthday child in the last trick at a birthday party. I use the birthday child in the first trick that I use a helper at a party. I end with a type of sucker routine. It gets every child involved and excited. The emotions run high and everyone remembers how fun the show was.

derrick
MagikDavid
View Profile
Loyal user
Cincinnati, OH
297 Posts

Profile of MagikDavid
As others have mentioned, it depends pretty much on your performing style and venue. There is one effect which comes to mind which plays strong for all ages and has a definite ending. I end most of my shows with Axtell Drawing Board. Kids (and adult kids) just love it. You can tailor the routine for older kids by just changing the character that you draw. If you're not familiar with the effect, you can find it here:

http://www.axtell.com/illusions.html
One good thing about being wrong...
Is the pleasure it brings to others.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Closer Suggestions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL