The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Entourage As A Mentalist Effect (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
I've just received Gordon Bean's latest 'Entourage'.
It is a wonderful thing. The kind of effect that makes you chuckle at the cunning of the thinking as you practice it. It is a B'Wave without that certain verbal requirement, and as such would appear to be a natural candidate as a mentalist item.The only problem is trying to justify the 2 jokers in a believable manner.
So far I've been getting great reactions with this using different strategies including planting clues on the jokers which I then reveal as a subliminal influence, but I wonder what other Café members have come up with?
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Hi

I draw a pair of dirty pants on each of the jokers. This really goes down well with specs and I have had the odd lady in tears with this ploy.

Also I find that wearing plimsols while performing this really adds to the illusion.

PO
Kevin Cook
View Profile
Elite user
431 Posts

Profile of Kevin Cook
Hi

I draw a pair of dirty pants on each of the jokers. This really goes down well with specs and I have had the odd lady in tears with this ploy.

Also I find that wearing plimsols while performing this really adds to the illusion.

PO
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Thanks for that Patient One.
It was even funnier the second time.
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
Gordon suggests calling them two royal guards and that has seemed to work fine for me. I've been doing it a lot and I haven't detected any undue interest in the jokers.

As a side note - I actually screwed it up last night. I got the suits mixed up. This was even after loads of performances so perhaps I got a bit lax. I pass this on as a warning to double-check before the final denouement.

I was pretty angry with myself, I can tell you.
Martin Pulman
View Profile
Inner circle
London
3399 Posts

Profile of Martin Pulman
Doiron,
The royal guards line doesn't work for me because I always try to present card work as experiments (Canasta style). It may well be that Entourage simply doesn't lend itself comfortably to a psychological style presentation, though I have to say that so far people seem to like it. Not sure it's going to replace b'wave in my pocket just yet though.I guess I'll just have to continue experimenting.
WolfgangStiller
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs, Colorado
218 Posts

Profile of WolfgangStiller
Quote:
On 2006-08-17 18:57, Martin Pulman wrote:
The royal guards line doesn't work for me because I always try to present card work as experiments (Canasta style). It may well be that Entourage simply doesn't lend itself comfortably to a psychological style presentation, though I have to say that so far people seem to like it

My style (I'm a mentalist / psychic entertainer) prevents the guards style patter from working for me but I have managed to make this work for me. I generally avoid effects with normal playing cards but this is just too strong. The presence of the jokers is what bothered me at first and almost prevented me from pursuing Entourage. I justify the jokers on two basis. One is that they serve to isolate the queens from my own hands. I perform this as an effect where spectator does all the work (both physical and mental). I further ask the spectator to focus on the jokers as they will be very important in a way that will be obvious later (the climax) as they select the queen. This seems like an odd request but makes a weird kind of sense when it turns out the jokers guided the spectator to the correct queen.

-Wolfgang
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Entourage As A Mentalist Effect (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL