The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Starting out with Fakini! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
[quote]On 2006-08-27 21:58, London wrote:
"Yes it is a fantastic tip in terms of the part regarding Mr. Benson and preventing the balls from "talking" but Fakini balls wouldn't talk if you tried."

Perhaps I was being unclear in my previous post.

I don't believe I ever implied that the Fakini balls and shells would ever "talk". Being that the balls are made of silicone rubber, that would impossible.

I only said that a wooden set would click together and the felt discs helped prevent the noise. I used this old modification to prevent the Fakini balls and shells from sticking.

Where London said, "I highly recommend letting them stick in the shell and learning how to get them out when you need to. There will be a lot of good things to come of it."

I can only add that a sticking shell can either be useful or hindrance depending on the routine.

For instance, if a ball stuck to a shell during my act, it would be catastrophic because of the nature of my routine.

Also I can imagine a magician would have a lot of trouble with Shimada's double shell techniques if the shells stuck to the balls!

No one has to follow my procedure.

I only offer it to give my fellow manipulators another option.

Best regards,
Levent
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Levent,

Your opinions and advice are GREATLY appreciated, please know this!

Being new to this type of manipulative act (I've been a juggler for 3 decades) I'm seeking as many diverse experiences and tips I can get...

Right now I have the Fakini Silicone balls, so that's what I'm learning with...On down the road I may decide to try a wooden set, if so, I will definately be heading to the craft store for the felt dots, that bit of advice is so simple, yet one that would probably have completely slipped by me...

Thanks again for taking the time to stop in and help out!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
If you get started with Fakini, stay with that and really no need to try others unless for fun and collecting. Besides, the audience doesn't know what the balls are made of.

As a kid, all I could afford were the 2" German sets and they cost me a whopping $6.50 which was a lot of money to me. You can imagine the look on my face had you asked for $75.00 to upgrade to Fakini. Hahahaha!

Today, money not the issue, I'm afraid I still use them! Nothing against the German wooden sets (it's the only one I'll use) but going from Fakini to wooden sets will be the difference joy ride between a leer jet and a horse drawn buggy.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

True point Randy...

But!

I juggled NOTHING but Dube European style clubs for YEARS...Wouldn't think of picking up anything else, right?

Then my wife bought me a 7 club set of Radical Fish...It is a diametrically DIFFERENT type of club (kinda like the difference between wooden and silicone multiplying balls)...

Guess what?

I LOVE them!

So, I am the type of personality that I will try ANYTHING once, cause who knows, I may love it!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Prof. Piper:

I'm curious, what is the size and color of the Fakini set that you recently purchased?

Best regards,
Levent
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Size: approx 2" (No marking on the tube...I got these in a Magic Shop closing clearance sale)

Color: Orange/Red color...maybe magenta?

The label says:

'New Tournament Manipulating Balls'

House of Fakini of Toledo, Ohio

Prof. Piper
(Terry)

P.S...I got them for $12.50...That a good deal?
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Yes! A good deal. Fakini Tournament retail $55.00 and the 1 3/4 begin at $75.00

What confuses me is the Tournament looks exactly like a golf ball is only white isn't it?

If you have a Magenta (one of several colors offered by Fakini) then they are at least the 1 3/4 smooth ball set that retails $75.
mc_magi
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
949 Posts

Profile of mc_magi
Omg Fakini for less than 20 bucks?
You've got yourself an amazing deal.
Wish I was there to get a set for myself.
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

These are indeed magenta and very smooth....Size is probably 1 3/4 inch....I don't have a way to measure for sure...

Dang...Sounds like I got a phenominal deal!

Now to do them justice and kill with them!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I wanted to paste a quote from what terry said. The reason I am posting it is because I feel he has hit the nail on the head and right from the start. This is something so many manipulators just overlook and just plain do not get.

QUOTE:
My thought process now, as I'm gaining the moves, is developing a story to go along with WHY I'm multiplying the balls...All of my routines have MEANING, not just the end result...

This is essential to the success of the manipulative arts. It shows thinking well beyond the idea of showing off or a show of skill alone. It shows a creative thought process and one of thinking beyond the box. It shows thinking beyond what has already been done before.

I think we as manipulators tend to draw upon what has been done before instead of searching outward for ways in which to change how we present our manipulative magic.

I say AMEN to you Terry for really understanding that you do need to expand your manipulative magic and give it meaning and take it to the next level.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Wow...

Thank you so much for the kind words Kyle!

It means a great deal to me to hear such things (and it's very encouraging) from someone who is experienced and so knowledgable in Magic!

I've always (in my close to 30 year off and on career performing) tried to strive to do things differently...When I watch someone else perform, I appreciate what they are offering, and may try to emmulate a technique or what not, but never, ever Dupicate it...

To me that's just wrong....

More than that, it's laziness....

Thanks again for the post, I really appreciate it.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Im glad you chose fakinis they are great I started with them and am not even tempted to buy any others theyre just that good
that_magic_guy
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of that_magic_guy
As far as the slipping is concerned have you ever tried that pink grip paste that they sell at office supply stores? a little of that on each finger and you'll never lose them.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I don't think squeezing the shell is such a good idea to release the ball. You could crack the shell. Even small cracks could increase over time.

Also a very sticky hair gel or palmade might be helpful in creating the tacky feeling you want if you use wooden balls.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Starting out with Fakini! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL