The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Madness Behind the Methods REVIEW (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
Hello everyone- this is a review for Madness Behind the Methods by Simon Lovell. This is a 3 dvd set and its worth every penny! the set has some of Simon's most requested tricks such as Heartless, twisted rose, and sleight of tongue! My favorite trick in this set would have to be "Your number's up" in which you reveal a spectators phone number in a rather creepy way! Those tricks I just named are only on the first DVD! Simon includes a lot of sandwich effects and his story trick- using a full deck of cards!! The dvd not only has great effects on it, it is extremely enjoyable to watch! Trust me when I say, you will NOT be disappointed!

You should also take a look at Simon's other material such as Simon says and the Son of Simon Says! You can take a look at the review for Simon says here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=110

All I can say is get this set! you will not regret it!
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
crdshark86
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
238 Posts

Profile of crdshark86
You can find my review for heartless here: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......tart=0#2
Ask me about Dan Harlan's Jam Sessions!
magicjack1977
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
213 Posts

Profile of magicjack1977
"Madness behind the Methods" is one of the best of the 'magic makers' produced DVD's. Lovell has an infectious style about him and will keep you entertained throughout the 3 DVD set. He also introduces a lot of his pet card effects as well as his napkin rose routine and patter; great stuff. I could have done without the constant prescence of Rob Stiff though `ala "the art of card splitting".
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
I found the effects to be largely underwhelming, with the handling not always particularly clean (oil and water effect). This is however a series for the layperson and not full of magician foolers. The effect with the telephone revelation - whilst a nice idea, is rarely going to be practical in the real world, unless pre-show work is done. Similarly, not that many people will be happy destroying their deck for sleight of tongue.

If you are relatively conversed with card effects, you will find little new here. The patter and, off the wall presentations, and one liners are however very enjoyable and give an insight into an alternative presentation style.
korttihai_82
View Profile
Inner circle
Finland
1880 Posts

Profile of korttihai_82
This set had some great gems but what it really needed was simon with LIVE REAL LAYMEN AUDIENCE! that's the reason why this set isn't as good as it could be and the man of danger set from Lovell still reigns supreme. don't get me wrong, this set still contains extremely good and commercial cardmagic for laymen, but there is a great risk that you mislook lot of em cos you don't see them presented for laymen. I did, until I saw same things on man of danger set performed in real bar and they fryed! a lot of laymen.

J-M
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Thanks for bringing this up
Cards never lie
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
I know Simon and have seen him perform live on many occasions. His material kills! Simon gives you all the moves and all the presentation. What more is there!? Oh, right...get out of your bedroom and actually perform for someone!

That's how you find out whether the material is worthwhile.

Further, who wants a "magician-fooler" anyway? Magicians don't hire magicians. Lay people pay the bills. You hear this a lot from inexperienced or "bedroom mirror" magicians.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
ragingcalm
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of ragingcalm
I'm all for real pratical magic, and view magician foolers as a waste of time. My comment about magician foolers was to an extent making this point. However suggesting that he gives you all the presentation, whilst correct isn't entirely helpful, since there are very few people who even if they wanted to (which is never a good idea) could get away with Mr Lovell's presentation. What it does however do, is give an insight into alternative presentations and allows a degree of emulation.

With regards to 'bedroom mirror' magicians, his most entertaining effects, as pointed out by crdshark86, also appear to be the least pratical. Few working magicians will be able to afford continually destory decks of cards by covering them in saliva, unless of course you have a specific saliva covered deck for the effect and carry an additional one for alternative effects.

As Korttihai, points out it is a shame that all the effects aren't performed infront of lay people. Sleight of tongue, which I believe I'm correct in thinking is the only one filmed infront of laypeople, gives a glimpse of how successful Mr Lovell's presentations are at entertaining the audience. My only other Magic Makers purchase on cards (Sal's lecture notes) was also filmed without an audience.
BenSalinas
View Profile
Special user
Coinoscenti
746 Posts

Profile of BenSalinas
You're absolutely right, ragingcalm. A live audience would have really boosted the DVD's appeal. I also know Sal and his audiences are positively dumbstruck when he performs. He's one of only 2 magicians to ever fool & entertain my wife.
Your Friendly Neighborhood Coin Flinger

www.SalinasMagic.com

The Modern Coin Magic blog
www.ModernCoinMagic.com
Robert Sixx
View Profile
Special user
853 Posts

Profile of Robert Sixx
There is some great material on this set!
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Guys, guys. I do not need to see how an audience reacts. All I ned is for the magician to perform the effect for me....I am the audience. It either impresses me or it doesn't and that is where I make my decision not from some audience which are some times paid (sometimes) don't jump on me here. Seeing the effect performed then viewing the procedure is the best way to decide. Of course this is my opinion, and we all know about opinions.

John (acesover)
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

As life plays, I just got it as a present . . . lucky me
Cards never lie
sirbrad
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
2097 Posts

Profile of sirbrad
Now that's magic.
The great trouble with magicians is the fact that they believe when they have bought a certain trick or piece of apparatus, and know the method or procedure, that they are full-fledged mystifiers. -- Harry Houdini
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3362 Posts

Yessiirrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Cards never lie
richgerb86
View Profile
Loyal user
Reading, Pa.
204 Posts

Profile of richgerb86
Sorry-- I can not give my money to Magic Makers. Check out his videos. I believe they are called Man of Danger. It is him performing in New York Bars. It is video not DVD. Simon's stuff is great, I just can not support anything by Magic Makers. Do not overlook old videos, there are a lot of hiden gems out there.
paymerich
View Profile
Special user
Norwalk, CT
546 Posts

Profile of paymerich
It is a Phenommenal DVD set. You are missing out on gold if you don't have it.

Simon if you see this note I have a question. Was Rob Stiff drunk during the taping ?

You NYC monday night magic pal

Pablo
Have a Magical Day!
<BR>
<BR>The Maniacal Mage
<BR>
<BR>Pablo Aymerich
<BR>Norwalk, CT 06851
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Madness Behind the Methods REVIEW (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL