The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Which method is correct? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Hey guys,

I have using puppets lately for managing children when babysitting, experimenting in the classroom, and using them for fun with some friends, and I have recently (last 8 months) been learning vent work. The only source I have learnt from has been a relative of a friend of mine who has been a vent for a while, and he told me the advice 'lick and flick your tounge on your top teeth for the hard letters'. After a few days of constant practicing I was starting to understand what he meant, and after a few weeks I practiced by singing songs to myself with this new way of speaking.

After all of this, I have recently seen a ventriloquist performing her act, who was deffinately using a different technique. She was using what seemed to be a gutteral technique for the closed lip letters.

I was wondering if you guys knew what these techniques are called, and if there is a 'correct' or widely accepted technique that is used proffessionally.

Thanks for ya help,

Dave
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Go look at the axtell site for tips.
Steve V
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Hi Dave. The techniques are called different things and I'm glad that one has helped you! We call it the Front Press and the Pull off. YOu can see the drawings and hear audio clips in the free ventriloquist lessons we have at http://www.axtell.com/learn.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
If your technique produce good articulation, then your technique is right for you.
Don't bother other technique, which is maybe not suitable for you, because every one have different head & mouth construction.

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Thanks guys, that was heaps helpful. I think I will just stay with what I am using now, it is most comfortable for me. Thanks again!
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Congrats on diving in to the world of Ventriloquism!

I've been a vent since I got my first figure at age 7! (A Juro, Charlie McCarthy pull sting)...

Budihaha is right (and very wise by friend Buddi!)...Use the method that suits you best!

Practice, Practice, Practice (singing along to songs using the technique is an EXCELLENT process by the way) and you will become very proficient very quickly!

The most important part of Vent is to HAVE FUN!

When you are ready to 'move up' and add a more pro figure to your cast, be sure to check out http://www.axtell.com He has the BEST 'soft' figures to be had, anywhere!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Ventriloquism!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8812 Posts

Profile of harris
Vent is great addition to my work in schools.

Singing is interesting. For a long time my puppets sang better than I did???

Last weekend we finished a run of Godspell. The director included one of my puppets

(Grandpa) into the play.

In the song.." prologue and Tower of Babble" Grandpa sang the "Gibbon" part..

The decline of Rome was natural and inevitable..."

By the time we got to all 6 parts singing at once it was very strange for this

nearly normal actor/singer....

This nearly normal vent learned the old fashion way from Maher Lessons and being

awful for a long time...

Still learning after all these years...
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
brooklyn
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of brooklyn
Go to http://www.dummyworks.com

The Maher Course is available for order there. It is terrific and will help to get you started properly.
indridcold
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of indridcold
Thanks guys again, good help. I think I am okay at the moment. I am happy with the way my lips don't move and the sounds that are comming out, and the fact that I can do it naturally now without having to think about it. I am sorta worried if I try to 'learn' about it too much I will taint what I am comfy with at the moment. I am now looking into scripting and ruitining. Hope to be having a fun time.

Dave
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Which method is correct? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL