The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » VooDoo Box: 1 person illusion? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey guys,

I am wondering if I can do the voodoo box by Andrew Mayne using only me (in the box) and an audience member who would insert the umbrellas. I am not planning to use an assistant for schedule reasons.

Any ideas?

Evan
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
It could be possible if the audience member were a stooge.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Not really possible. There needs to be a certain order they go in so you don't get jabbed. Too many uncontrollable factors where you could get hurt. Think about it. Would you let a complete stranger shove pointy thing into a box you were squished in? There isn't a lot of room. What's going to stop them from pushing the thing into your flesh. The is what is "supposed" to be happening.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Not a good idea!
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
However, if you had a family member or close friend that could rehearse the trick and practice with you before hand and become familiar with the routine, you could then plant them in the audience as Lou Hilario said.

This would give the appearance that you didn't have an assistant.

Other than that, I don't see any other way.
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
andrewmayne
View Profile
V.I.P.
142 Posts

Profile of andrewmayne
I really wouldn't recommend that. I have faith in my fellow man - but not that much!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
It seems to me that it would be easier to train someone to be inside the box.
shots
View Profile
Loyal user
Kissimmee, FL
256 Posts

Profile of shots
I recently received plans from Andrew, and can't wait to perform this illusion. That said, even though you'll be using umbrellas, the ends tend to be pretty sharp--you could poke your eye out!

Seriously, thanks Andrew for the idea and plans for a great illusion!
Magic in the Shadows
purplemonk
View Profile
Regular user
116 Posts

Profile of purplemonk
Just the thought of being poked by an eager audience member makes me eerie
magicmarkdaniel
View Profile
Special user
Bolton, England UK
831 Posts

Profile of magicmarkdaniel
There's also the possibility that the audience member you invite onto the stage could choose to steal the limelight and leave you in the box, encased with umbrellas. May sound ridiculous but it'd be something I'd be conscious of.

Mark
Mark Daniel
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I do Voodoo box with my daughter in the box with great audience reaction (please, no one call child protective services just yet, she's fine once I remove all the umbrellas).

There COULD be a way to do this with just yourself that I can think of, but I'm not sure how entertaining it would be AND you could potentially lose control of your audience if you are not careful. I have not tried this myself. I offer this as a suggestion...so do at your own risk. However, never allow an audience member to insert the umbrellas unless they are a trained stooge. The possibility for injury of you and the possiblity that Mark mentions above is very real.

OK, enough with the legal ease.

What if you set up all the umbrella points into the holes of the box before you step into the box. So they appear to be leaning on the box from the outside but the points are about 3 inches inside each hole. Then climb into the box, close the lid and the audience sees the umbrellas one at a time "magically" go horizontal and pierced into the box (as you are pulling them quickly from the inside). After all of them are inserted, they are popped back out and you are revealed and healed.

You could prepair your audience with story of your invisible assistant that helps you with illusions.

Just some thoughts...
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
semo
View Profile
Loyal user
San Jose, CA
300 Posts

Profile of semo
I had another thought that may bring this to the next level, but I'm not sure if it would work. What if you tied some black string to the points of each umbrella that was laying on the stage and thread the string through the holes of the box. Then the umbrellas may seem to jump from the stage and start stabbing the box. It would not be too tough for people to know that you are pulling on strings, but it may look kind of cool.
Scott Emo, co-creator of Fenced In Illusion - There's nothing better than breaking free!

And creator of Sacred - The Child Conjuring Illusion - Because there is nothing more magical than the creation of a child.

Find them at: http://www.masterofillusions.ca/
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Great idea,,, I think the aud. would love this... Just pre-arrange/talk to a person before the show.... Also you could come up with some type of joke... Point real fast and talk real fast telling them where and what order to put the swords/object in.... Then ask them to repeat it... (make it where they can't.... tell them again real fast....

Then pull out numbers and number the holes and tell them to follow the order....

just a thought....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » VooDoo Box: 1 person illusion? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL