The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ventriloquism and voice throwing (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
OK, I remember as a kid getting a book about this and the idea of throwing ones voice stumps me, then and today. Is it different then ventriloquism? or the same thing different name? I remember toying with it, but all I really understood was talking without moving lips and getting the voice to come from deeper in the throat But making it sound like it's coming from somewhere else??? I am sooooo confused
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
Budihaha
View Profile
Veteran user
Bandung - Indonesia
328 Posts

Profile of Budihaha
Voice throwing is part of ventriloquism.
Most ventriloquist now call it Distant Voice, because it heard like from a distant.
There are some resource to learn this technique. One of the best, I think, is by Bob Neller.

Regards,

Budi Ha Ha
Budi H. Hadiwarsito
Bandung - Indonesia
www.budihaha.com
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Let me DEconfuse you. There is an interesting story about Paul Winchell, the great Vent who gave us Jerry mahoney and eventually went on to do voices for Disney animation, including his most famous Tigger.

Anyway, the story goes about how TV was new and a ventriloquist had never been used on a TV Broadcast, because they thought it wouldn't "work" on Tv.

But they let Paul try, (I don't remember why).

Well, they ran into a little technical problem. Everytime Paul would say his lines, it came out clear and loud. But when Jerry said his lines, they could not hear them!

Paul eventually noticed that the guy who was controlling the boom mike over head was MOVING it back and forth between Jerry and Paul, depending on who was speaking. Paul asked him why he was doing this, and he said it was to catch the little guys lines.

Paul suggested that he try to keep the mike on HIM, (Paul) and magically it worked out great! They could now hear both speakers.

Why was this? Because "throwing one's voice" is an ILLUSION (caused by the fact that your lips are not moving and the figures lips ARE, in perfect sync to the words. This fools the ear as well as the eye.! No human being can REALLY throw their voice. But it's nice to have people believe you can!

Want to prove it to yourself? OK. This may feel a little foolish, but stand in front of a mirror, and say anything, and WATCH how the voice seems to be coming from the image of you in the mirror. Did you just THROW your voice into the mirror? Of course not! It's an illusion!

Turn on your TV set, and watch how words seem to be coming specifically from the mouths of the people on the screen, when in actuality, the real SOURCE of the voice, (the TV speaker) may in fact be INCHES away from the spot where the words seem to be emanating.

Bottom line, the human ear is a very poor locator or pinpointer of sound sources.

The ventriloquist takes advantage of this fact, thus the ilusion of throwing one's voice is created.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Wow...that is absolutely correct Doug...I'm so proud!
Steve V
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Backing up Steve V here...

Absolutely beautiful and accurate explination of 'throwing ones voice'!

I have to explain this about 120000000 time a day at the theme park I work (ok, that's an exageration)...

Couldn't have said it better Doug!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
What happened to secrets........
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-08-28 21:08, Steve V wrote:
Wow...that is absolutely correct Doug...I'm so proud!
Steve V

Proud?
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Yes...you often are in left field but that was a beautifully done explanation. I need a tissue!
Steve V
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 05:27, cardone wrote:

To a certain degree you have a point, but:

EVERYONE knows, at the end of the day, that that cute figure on your arm isn't ACTUALLY doing the talking...

Even the smallest of kiddos (in my years of experience) figure it out and start watching the Vents lips....

So this, in effect, is not a secret at all.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
DrNorth
View Profile
Veteran user
North Starr Entertainment, Harrisburg PA
364 Posts

Profile of DrNorth
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 05:27, cardone wrote:

Yes, but being a specialized site, I also doubt many non vetriloquists are seeking secrets here. Especially when they are so much easier to find on other sites. Even more so then magic secrets.
Smile
"For it shows things that were, and things that are, and things that yet may be. But which it that he sees, even the wisest cannot always tell"
~Galadriel

"A heretic is a man who sees with his own eyes."
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-08-29 20:10, Steve V wrote:
Yes...you often are in left field but that was a beautifully done explanation. I need a tissue!
Steve V

Me? Left field? Naaahh!
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
Yes they know I'm doing the talking.... but how am I doing it ...was I born with the skill? Does it come from my belly ? These are great mysteries......I think they mystery makes it better ... especially voice throwing ...the stuff without the dummy ... This stuff is like a magic trick... is it not ? So it has secrets .. real secrets ...lets keep it that way ......
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Dang, Doug finally puts together a rational thought and you go and point out it is exposing a secret to venting.
Steve V
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-08-31 08:43, cardone wrote:
Yes they know I'm doing the talking.... but how am I doing it ...was I born with the skill? Does it come from my belly ? These are great mysteries......I think they mystery makes it better ... especially voice throwing ...the stuff without the dummy ... This stuff is like a magic trick... is it not ? So it has secrets .. real secrets ...lets keep it that way ......

You got it. From the latin, ventor (the belly), and loqui, (to speak)...so then ventriloquists are ", uh, shall I say it? "belly speakers."

Posted: Aug 31, 2006 4:35pm
Quote:

On 2006-08-31 13:58, Steve V wrote:
Dang, Doug finally puts together a rational thought and you go and point out it is exposing a secret to venting.
Steve V

Then, this is the only rational thought I have ever come up with?

Naaaah.
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Yes! I'm changing my birds name from Houdini to Doug tonight.
Steve V
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
I would be honored.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Ventriloquism and voice throwing (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL