The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Body Tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
As some of you know, I've written a 150 page book on impromptu magic with the human body. Lots of cool, updated and classic tricks. Some of which I've put on video. Its not the best quality (I should have been closer to the camera), but its something. Let me know what you think.

Body Tricks
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci......12023206

Cool Magician
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?doci......25964654

Man Of Magic (Documentary)
http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=812994763957999608

Stephen Ablett
http://www.magicmystery.co.uk/book.htm
Mike T
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of Mike T
At the time of writing this over a dozen people have read the post and not replied.
Come on guys, how about a little feedback?

Hey Stephen, good job.

Although a lot of the stuff you did was really old (and I do mean really old), all was nicely executed. A few bits I'd not seen before which meant (obviously)? I enjoyed those more.
The best thing of all? The fact that ALL of this is completely impromptu.
Regardless of the distance from the camera, I think the quality of the image let you down a bit. That said it was still very watchable.
I think the 'finger bite' would be great used before 'bitten coin'
My favorite was probably the 'arm twist' at the end of the 'Body Tricks' video.

Kudos to you for sticking it up here.

Best regards, Mike.
It's times like this I wish I'd listened to what my Grandad used to say...
Danny The Idiot
View Profile
Regular user
London, UK
170 Posts

Profile of Danny The Idiot
Hey Stephen,
it's great stuff, only let down by sunshine. So your hands and face were bleached out and made it unclear as to what was going on.
The close up finger bite indoors works really well. Ouch!!
So - it worked I'm interested in your book. Do you use legs, ears other bits of the body?

best wishes
Danny
Danny Schlesinger

www.CircoRidiculoso.com
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Yeah, its split into 14 chapters, with a chnpter on tricks with your arms, tricks with your fingers etc.

For an example, check out the website: http://www.magicmystery.co.uk/book.htm

Steve
Richard Paddon
View Profile
Loyal user
214 Posts

Profile of Richard Paddon
Steve,

Looks very interesting. I like to have this type of resource that gathers this category of tricks into one place.

Just ordered it.

Thanks,
Richard
iSawThat
View Profile
Regular user
The Ivory Tower
188 Posts

Profile of iSawThat
This work is encyclopedic Steve, very impressive. It would've been more appropriate to give a bit more credit in the pieces, things like Banachek's psychokinetic touches and Derren Brown's three-of-diamonds force appear without mention of them. Overall it's well worth the price, and it really has something for everyone: magicians, mentalists, stage hypnotists, and even just people who want to have fun and show their mates a few cool things you can do with your limbs.

Buyers take note though, that explanation of effects are rather skeletal, if adequate. Thought and effort will have to be put in to craft these into your own, which I think is great. Can't beat the price too.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Aside from the production quality, those looked good. A lot of stuff I have done as a 'throw away', you made them seem more magical.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Meier Yedid would be proud of the several effects you performed that were his creations. Very nicely presented, too.

I'm looking forward to getting my mitts on this work.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
toni42
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of toni42
My kids enjoyed watching the videos with me. Very entertaining Smile
Phil C
View Profile
Special user
Ontario, Canada
903 Posts

Profile of Phil C
Just ordered this.
Didn't have the time to look over yet.
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2006-08-27 07:38, Mike T wrote:
At the time of writing this over a dozen people have read the post and not replied.
Come on guys, how about a little feedback?

FYI:
A dozen people out of 26,971 currently registered members = ~.0004%
One message out of 1,530,058 current total = ~.0000006%
Now, knowing the habits of online forum goers, most of that first dozen looked into this thread, saw a list of outside links (some may have realized they were vids), and moved on to other threads.
Patience.

My only comment is that the screen size is too big for the resolution, and as a result the vids look pixely. That makes it difficult to see finger tricks when the entire actor is in view of the camera -- the individual fingers aren't clear.
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
I'm currently in the process of making a DVD of Body Tricks. The main problem I have is that the fingers are so small, its hard for them to be picked up cleanly on camera.

I can zoom in and get a close-up, but I move my hands so much getting into positions that the cameras often miss the important move.
I've had to shoot the same trick several times now, just because I accidentally keep moving out of the frame of the camera.
Its a long and painful process but it will be done, and it will be done properly I guarantee you.

The videos above were shot in one afternoon on one take, by myself. On a stationary cheap mp4 camera. It was just a quick demo of body tricks in the book.
The actual DVD is being shot on Sony High-Definition cameras. So that promises to be a lot better.

Steve
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Maybe shoot from more of the waist-up instead of knees-up? Then during explainations, shoot close-ups as needed.

I liked the setting of those sample vids: outside, suit & shades, etc. =) =)
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Shoot agaist a solid background in a studio setting with proper lighting and you'll be able to see everything better, even from a distance.
je4thomas
View Profile
New user
Now in Southwest China
53 Posts

Profile of je4thomas
I am out of the country and unable to view the video. Sounds interesting though. Is there another way to view it?

e
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Magic...at a moment's notice! » » Body Tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL