The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bevelling deck with one hand for a pinky count (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

eryanic
View Profile
Special user
683 Posts

Profile of eryanic
Normally after I flip a double face down and push the top card onto the table, I'll need to reposition the deck with 2 hands to get the deck bevelled for my next pinky count.

Does anyone experience the same issue? I've tried a few methods on using one hand to get the deck in an ideal bevel for a pinky count, but would like to know what you guys use out there.

I noticed that David Acer in particular does this pretty well
scorch
View Profile
Inner circle
1480 Posts

Profile of scorch
If you squeeze the deck with your fingers against the heel of you thumb, it will naturally bevel.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Combonation of the thumb and pinky, it should bevel with one hand pretty easily...

I prefer a "twisted" bevel such that instead of the entire deck sliding one direction, it merely rotates around the center, such that the deck is beveled for both a thumb count or a pinky count at the same time.
Spackle666
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Spackle666
Daegs. thank you. that little comment on the twisted bevel ended months of frustration.
"it's bad luck to be superstitious."
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Why do you need a pinky count in such a situation mentioned in the initial post?
When you are going to turn the double face down, you can make break below third card by pushing off third card a little.

Hideo Kato
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Transylvania
1367 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I never had a problem with beveling the deck one handed.
I have to admit that I rarely use pinky counts.
hideo kato, I guess it's just personal preference.

-Matt
The masters make the rules, for the wise men and the fools
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
There is the cases Pinky Count is best to use, but the case OP mentioned in his initial post is not one of such cases, I think.

Usually Pinky Count is done when right hand is over the deck or attention is far from the deck. If you do Pinky Count when you deal the top card on the table, you have no cover for Pinky action.

Hideo Kato
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
I still to not get it - is the goal to do 2 DLs in a row? If so, Kato-san is right.
Cards never lie
Mano
View Profile
Inner circle
1028 Posts

Profile of Mano
In any case, you should be able to do pinky count with out Bevelling deck at all; and also you do not need cover for pinky count, jus keep practising and you'll know what I mean, I can pinky count any amount of cards right on a layman eyes and they won't see a thing; just keep pinky counting and you'll be there.

my 2 cheles.

Mano.

P.S to me any serious card worker must know the pinky count. you can also ask Dave williamson.Smile
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
Why not just turn your hand over a bit and thumb count them, switch to a pinky break as taught on Daryl's videos, and you're good to go? I don't know that audience would ever notice this, and the handling looks just as casual as sitting there with the deck face-down.

IMHO.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2006-11-29 23:07, Mano wrote:
I can pinky count any amount of cards right on a layman eyes and they won't see a thing.

This is quite true because you don't need any covers for Pinky Count if you are performing for a layman. But if you are performing for laymen, you'd better consider the view from your right side.

If you twist left hand clockwise or right side down, it is called as a kind of Covers.

Hideo Kato
echomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
344 Posts

Profile of echomagic
I use a pinky count almost all the time. The reasons are as follows.

You can turn 1,2,3,4 or more cards over that look to a spectator like exactly the same action. Notice I didn't say move.

You need no cover. Turning your left hand slightly downward toward your right, and picking up your 3rd left finger and turning it down toward your left pinky a little bit, you cannot see the count. If a spectator is burning your hand, just just put your left hand in motion a little for the 1st card.

After the 1st card is counted, all the other action takes place under the cover of the first. The count itself moves the counted cards less than 1/4 of an inch.

It will take about a year to get really get comfortable with this but this is a utility move that you will use the rest of your life. How often would you use a great DL?
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
There are a number of get ready actions. My advice is to use the one you are most comfortable with . . .
Cards never lie
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
Personally, I find the greatest utility for the pinky count, in counting more then 2 cards, in readiness for some kind of secret addition.

Remember, although perfectly covered, the grip on the pack can look very slightly tense. (I guess whether or not this affects you depends on the way you hold the cards when your not pinky counting.)

Above all, its a brilliant move, that is well worth the effort invested in it.
michael640
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of michael640
Personally, I find the greatest utility for the pinky count, in counting more then 2 cards, in readiness for some kind of secret addition.

Remember, although perfectly covered, the grip on the pack can look very slightly tense. (I guess whether or not this affects you depends on the way you hold the cards when your not pinky counting.)

Above all, its a brilliant move, that is well worth the effort invested in it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Bevelling deck with one hand for a pinky count (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL