The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What routines work for busking? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of levitate
I'd like to start learning some stand up-ish magic for the street. I think I'm in the right place...

I'm not talking about Blaine style street magic but more like you see any other street performer doing what they do. I'm going for something where like you can just be walking and still appreciate whatever I'm doing. That is to say patter is somewhat irrelevant.

I do coin, bill, and card work mainly with a bit of mentalism. I wouldn't mind learning some new genres so feel free to recomend other stuff.

Thanks,

Michael
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Read the threads here. there are tons

linking rings
cups and balls
egg bag
silks
chop cup
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
levitate
View Profile
Veteran user
319 Posts

Profile of levitate
All those are great but I was hoping too for some specifics in the realms of coins and cards if those work at all

Thanks
mikevandecarr
View Profile
New user
Chicago area
47 Posts

Profile of mikevandecarr
Truthfully, anything can work on the street.

Mike
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Simon lovell's cards accross on his "live" video would be perfect for the street and it's a cheap video.

miser's dream would be great. get carney's "Book of Secrets"

The 3.5 of clubs trick is a killer if you have a good presentation. Play it up.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
ROBERT BLAKE
View Profile
Inner circle
1472 Posts

Profile of ROBERT BLAKE
51 cards to pocket. david williamson
cards across
card in balloon
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Professor's Nightmare
Cards Across
Cards to Pocket
6 Card Repeat
Card to Forehead
Card to Wallet
Card to Orange
Card to ANY Impossible Location
Card Warp
Dr. Strangetrick (Michael Close)
Torn & Restored Card (almost any version)
Card Sword
Card Stab (almost any version, but Malini is great!)
Card Through Hanky (any version)

Coins Across
Coins Through Table
Coins To Glass
Coin In Bottle
Coins Through See Through Hanky (Ammar)
Expansion of Texture (Houdin/Vernon)
Miser's Dream
Sawa's Slot Machine (Dr. Sawa)
Coin In Balloon
3 Fly and all of its variations

Just a few ideas

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-03 09:18, mikevandecarr wrote:
Truthfully, anything can work on the street.

Mike

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think mentalism would be tough to pull off on the street. Smile
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
mikevandecarr
View Profile
New user
Chicago area
47 Posts

Profile of mikevandecarr
This is meant as a warning to anyone who may be interested in busking so they will not be discouraged by what could possibly be said to them.

If you are going to do a long presentation etc, etc....it may not work, especially if you don't have experience as a busker but....

I wouldn't doub't for a second there is someone out there that can pull it off.

The street is really more about personality then anything. I learned how to busk and I do very well everywhere I go.

I also want to add one more thing...Buskers have something no other, controlled environment, entertainer has and I don't care if the other entertainer has been successful for 20 years, if they never busked they shouldn't give advice on how to do it.

however, once you can busk and you do well and find your hats overflowing, you will be BETTER, then 99% of anyone else that performs in a controled situation.

Cheers,
Mike

P.S. a controlled environment is anywhere where your audience is built in or already captive. I hope this makes sense.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
If anyone was bothered by Mike's words, then they're really going to be shocked when they hit the streets!Think of the discussions here as busker boot camp. If you can't handle it here, you certainly can't do it out there.

My busking has been rather limited, half controlled and half not. It's pretty much clear to me that I prefer the controlled environment better.

I've heard great advice from both the encouragers and the discouragers. Both are right. Listen to them both. Don't be offended by what they say. Then decide.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2006-09-06 10:47, mandrake01 wrote:
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think mentalism would be tough to pull off on the street. Smile

Actually I think Whit Haydn might have something to say about that. In his book "Street Magic" he details a short mentalism bit he used to do when it was too cold out for manipulation. But that's Whit. For me, you're absolutely right, I could never pull it off.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
I think a John Archer type could do very well on the streets with mentalism. There is a lot of comedy. Comedy works great on the street.

I think the reason most mentalism doesn't work on the street is the attitude it is presented with. There is a tremendous "look at me" factor about most mentalists that plays great to a controlled audience but would leave a street audience cold.

If done right, I think anything can fly on the street as well. It is the doing it right part that is tricky. I think an established busker would find it fairly easy to create a mentalism act that would work on the street. I think someone just starting out should focus on becoming comfortable being a busker first. The easiest way to do that is to do proven material, cups and balls, rings, cards, rope, etc..

After they learn how to busk, THEN I think just about anything will work on the street. Smile

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I love John Archer's "Komedy Killer" routine. It's a version of Kolossal Killer and I've figured a way to not need the gazillion way out wallet. A good old Himber is all it takes. Built in comedy lines, some "semi" mentalism for fun, and a finale that redeems all the silliness.

Too much talk for an opener, but once you have the group going, it would make a great "middle" piece. People can walk in during the trick and pick up on it without feeling they missed anything.

Definitely worth getting "Educating Archer" DVD if you don't have it already.
Lee Darrow
View Profile
V.I.P.
Chicago, IL USA
3588 Posts

Profile of Lee Darrow
Mike is dead on target. If you haven't busked, and think you know the ropes, then you are in for a shock when you hit the streets.

Hitting the concrete is a LOT harder than hitting the boards, people! It's true in the martial arts and it's certainly true of busking. Been there, done both, got my lumps from both, too. But I learned. BOY, did I learn!

And I'm STILL learning, even though I don't busk much any more.

Lee Darrow, C.H.
http://www.leedarrow.com
<BR>"Because NICE Matters!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » What routines work for busking? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL