The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Two Towers... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
I first read The Lord of the Rings as a high school freshman. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't entirely compelling reading. (By the way, I read the trilogy before reading The Hobbit and I'm not entirely convinced anything is lost by doing so.) I re-read the books after seeing the first film and found the reading much more enjoyable.

As for Dickens, I have tried to read A Tale of Two Cities several times (I think the opening sentence/paragraph is one of the best ever written in English literature) but just can't seem to stay with him. Odd, since I really enjoy reading Dumas. Come to think of it, I just may try again.

Oh, yes! Both LOTR films are great. I'm looking forward to Return of the King.

I also recommend watching the extended version of The Fellowship of the Ring on DVD.
HiveMind
View Profile
Veteran user
303 Posts

Profile of HiveMind
Paul- On Dickens, That is exactly my opinion
I could have said about Dickens exactly what
you said and it would be absolutely true for
me. Maybe I should try again too.

The extended version has some nice additions
I really like the bit with the elves going to
Gray Havens to depart to Valinor, though that
is probably the smallest addition in the
extension.
"Free will is an illusion." - B.F. Skinner
aposjf12
View Profile
New user
New York City
96 Posts

Profile of aposjf12
I think Andy Serkis played Gollum!
Dr. Jakks
View Profile
Special user
832 Posts

Profile of Dr. Jakks
Yes, the hobbit is actually in the works, because as you know the Lord of the Rings has already been shot in full. I am really awaiting a certain scene in the third, but I won't spoil it for those of you who don't know Frodo is impaled by an orc!!!!!!!!!!Just kidding Smile . By the way the ints were GREAT.

Jakks
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I really liked it too, especially the battle at Helm's deep.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2003-01-04 21:32, Jakks wrote:
Yes, the hobbit is actually in the works, because as you know the Lord of the Rings has already been shot in full. I am really awaiting a certain scene in the third, but I won't spoil it for those of you who don't know Frodo is impaled by an orc!!!!!!!!!!Just kidding Smile . By the way the ints were GREAT.

Jakks

From the information I have heard there is at present no plans to film the Hobbit, at least until the third film is in the can.
With the success of the first two films it is inevitable that the Hobbit will of course make its way to film but that is probably four to five years from now.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
IceRaven,
If you visit NZ drop us a line, we don't get too many visitors down this part of the world!!

PS I live about 20mins from "Hobbiton" (Matamata) and just recently spent a working holiday in Queenstown where lots of the lakey mountainy scenes were shot. Just thought you would like to know
Smile
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Cornelius
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
213 Posts

Profile of Cornelius
An extraordinary film. It will receive more Oscars than any other this year.
three_spot
View Profile
New user
45 Posts

Profile of three_spot
I rebuke those who prefer the movies over the book!!!!!!

the movie was amazing though im rereading return of the king now!
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
The books were great, but not everyone apprecieates his writing style. IT is a little different, and not everyone loves it. BUt the movies are easy for everyone to be amazed at. THey are colorful, accurate presentations of the already great books. I'm just starting Return of the King for fun. That's the third book to add to my current reading list, I don't even know if I will finish it before next Christmas, but I'll try.
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
ChrisZampese
View Profile
Veteran user
Hamilton, NZ
341 Posts

Profile of ChrisZampese
Quote:
On 2002-12-25 11:25, HiveMind wrote:
Hmmm I don't know. My father (an english
teacher) almost puts Tolkien in the same
category as Stephen King and Frank Herbert
(he thinks them both hacks) I don't really
understand that.

It always makes me wonder really. No matter how 'great' or 'poor' a writer is from a 'professional' point of view it makes no difference to the enjoyment that thousands of people get from the book. I Think it just goes to show that writing is an art, and like most art cannot be defined by a set of rules.
The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. Whoever does not know it and can no longer wonder, no longer marvel, is as good as dead, and his eyes are
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
THIS WAS MY FAVORITE OF ALL OF THEM....
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Two Towers... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL