The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need some help. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Hi, I am not new to magic.. I have been studying/practicing/performing since I was 8.. I am now 20, I just couldn't find a place to put this..

I've been a magic hobbyist for as long as I remember, but it's finally time to decide what I really want to do with my life. Well, magic, and music has always been my passion. I would like to perform magic, rather than work in the music industry though.. I am currently an Electrician APPRENTICE. Wich basically means I am learning the trade, and will be finished schooling within 4 years.

I really want to perform magic for a living! Will somebody direct me the right books to help me survive, and better understand the "Business" of magic. (How to land jobs, how to make money, etc..).. I have had 1 job performing before, and I pretty much got that by luck.. I only made tips. I have thought about taking acting classes for the credibility, and also going into the Millitary hoping that I would get the chance to entertain the troops, making their days easier, and more exciting.

Thanks!!
TKE
View Profile
Veteran user
FL
346 Posts

Profile of TKE
What kind of magic are you interested in?

close-up, stage, mentalism, kids...?
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Oh, sorry I forgot to mention!

Close-Up, and Mentalism.. I'm not really into the stage illusions like I was when I was younger.. Thanks.
Ustaad
View Profile
Inner circle
Iindia - States
6157 Posts

Profile of Ustaad
Quote:
On 2006-09-05 17:38, GeorgeMeck wrote:
. . . and also going into the Millitary hoping that I would get the chance to entertain the troops, making their days easier, and more exciting.

A very noble thought!

Smile
MAGIC is a SECRET, without the SECRET there is no MAGIC.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hi George,

There are 3 books that should be "required" reading and will help you go far. They are referred to as the "Fitzkee Trilogy."

Written by Dariel Fitzkee, they are "Showmanship For Magicians", "The Trick Brain", and "Magic By Misdirection."

You can find them at http://www.leejacobsproductions.com/Fitzkee.html or check with your favorite magical book dealer.

Get them, read them, re-read them and study them thoroughly. You will learn so much that will help you with your goals.

Good luck, and welcome to the café! Mark.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Mark, I agree with your recommendation as far as the performance of magic is concerned. But I don't think Fitzkee is a good source of marketing information (particularly seeing as his pet project was a commercial flop). I don't however have a better source.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
The Magic Ref
View Profile
Veteran user
Flint, Mi.
303 Posts

Profile of The Magic Ref
My suggestion is to realize that the best money making magicians are "Performers". It's the the magic that keeps you working it's the finish polished product. Read all you can on the performance side of magic. I mean think about it, our friend David Blane became a house hold name by doing, the biting Quarter, Doc Daly's last trick, and the Balduchi Levetation. Could he have done more tech stuff sure, but would it have been more entertaining, I doubt it. Be Young... Have Fun!
Be Young...Have Fun!
Brad Burt
View Profile
Inner circle
2675 Posts

Profile of Brad Burt
It's all sales. Everything is sales. To make a living doing magic you first need:

A PRODUCT that is good enough to promote and sell to folks that need what you are selling. Get your act DOWN first. Do serches on this site using words like 'routining', etc.

The product though is not 'just' the magic act you put together. In a much narrower and more important sense the product is YOU. Yes, take acting classes. Take dance, voice, etc. Read widely in both fiction and non-fiction. Practice talking AND doing your magic routines.

Got a product? Let's sell it. Go to the book store and buy:

Guerrilla Marketing: Secrets for Making Big Profits from Your Small Business (Guerrilla Marketing)

Mr. Levinson has a series of invaluable books on selling your product with little or no money. Dive in and find out how. Best,
Brad Burt
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need some help. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL