The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Am I alone in this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
9/11 was a very surreal day for me. I had just spent 12 days in the hospital with fatal pneumonia. The doctors would not let me leave till my fever was gone. I had numerous complications and secondary afflictions. Needless to say it was the hardest and scariest thing that has happened to me. Finally the Doctors let me go home, instead of starting my fourth year of college at school, I went home to my parent's house to be nursed a bit before attempting to finish moving my things into my new place at school and try to have some sort of life. I woke, the first morning of my week visit at my parent's place... and there on the news at around 9am I saw it. It was literally the first thing I saw after opening my sleeping eyes (because I couldn't lay down, I slept in the recliner in the tv room) I watched the whole thing for days straight since I had nothing to entertain me but the T.V. I watched it, second by second, unable to do anything. I was useless.
During this time I was also going through personal relationship hardships. It was a really bad time in my life with not many people to help me get through. I don't like remembering it, so to be honest I've turned myself "off" to the whole 9/11 thing. I have walls around my feelings of that time and they are what keep me from getting emotional about it. It's not the best approach but it's been working for me. I know others are having a hard time and I sort of look the other way. I'm just not ready to take that step in healing. But sharing this in a way is a baby step.
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-08 09:08, Cliffg37 wrote:
I am with you lass.

Speaking as a New Yorker, who watched those towers being built, speaking as one who used to work in tower two, I also get hit hard by the anniversary.

As a transplanted New Yorker, I remember going to the Towers on several occassions. Once was a normal touristy thing and I was stunned at what you could see from up there. You could see individuals in the park in Greenwich Village!

Another time, my wife and I went up and I actually went out of the observation deck and onto the roof itself. Do you realize how WEIRD it was to see the TOP of the other Tower?

The last time, it should have been closed. It was overcast and the Towers were covered in clouds. That had a strange upside as well as it was like being in a huge white room! In the corner, where the two Towers were closest, you could see the clouds streaming through the gap between the two Towers!

Thanks for letting me share!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences with me. It has helped. And thanks for not turning this thread into too much of a political discussion. All of my co-workers have been prepared that Monday will be difficult for me. I did tell the co-worker I'll be traveling with (and we are traveling by car...business trip to Mufreesboro, AR) that it will be a difficult day for me, and exactly why. I've also got a friend from Little Rock willing to travel to where I'll be to make sure I'll be okay once we go "off the clock."

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
Sylver Fyre
View Profile
Regular user
Michigan
152 Posts

Profile of Sylver Fyre
Travel safe Margarette!
Sylver Fyre

"Do not warm yourself by the fire, become the flame"
---------------------------------------------
www.knottybitssideshow.com
Add me on Myspace or Facebook! http://www.myspace.com/sylverfyre
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Quote:
Besides the hassles at the airport, what rights have you lost? And are they worth the price to protect you and your fellow citizens?

A lot of the talk of "lost rights" is hysterical nonsense. In many cases it's the painting of a false picture by the same people that accuse the Government of painting a false picture of the terror threat.

What I'm saying is that not a lot of people can honestly claim that their rights have been trampled upon. Yes all our lives have changed. However, there is no doubt about what went down on 9/11. The threat of terror attacks is not a percieved threat. It's very real, we have been seeing it for years. And, apparently, even 9/11 has not proven to be enough of a wake up call. Maybe it's easier to rail against what isn't than actually face up to, and rail against, what really is. I guess it's just easier to fight a straw man than a real enemy.

My 48 year-old sister and her husband just flew last week from Pittsburgh to Las Vegas non-stop for a mini-vacation. At the airport, my sister inadvertently left a tube of lipstick in her purse. It was NEVER noticed or confiscated by airport security, and she ended up inadvertently taking it on to the plane.

Are we really safer these days with all the new restrictions regarding liquids, gels, sprays, etc.? Probably not....
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-09-10 11:16, Margarette wrote:
Thank you for sharing your stories and experiences with me. It has helped. And thanks for not turning this thread into too much of a political discussion. All of my co-workers have been prepared that Monday will be difficult for me. I did tell the co-worker I'll be traveling with (and we are traveling by car...business trip to Mufreesboro, AR) that it will be a difficult day for me, and exactly why. I've also got a friend from Little Rock willing to travel to where I'll be to make sure I'll be okay once we go "off the clock."

You're welcome. Didn't mention the fact that my wife is EXTREMELY ackrophobic (sp?). She didn't care as long as we were encased with nice thick glass walls, but once we got up on the roof, she spent the entire time spooned into my back, gripping my coat for safety!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Just got back from a holiday in Marmaris, Turkey.The week before I went Kurdish Terror groups let off bombs in Marmaris killing a number of tourists. It didn't stop me going..if you do that then you have "thrown in the towel"
We now live in a totally different World...bombs could be let off anywhere at any time..life goes on.I would be more worried about travelling on the underground..at least there are plenty of security checks on plane passengers.

Howard
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
Oh....and my son actually flew to Las Vegas 0n the 11th September..he is still there now.

Howard
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I handled the day fairly well. I wasn't my normal talkative self at work. Everyone knew the reasons I was rather subdued that day. When my co-worker and I got to our destination, my friend did visit to make sure I was okay.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Am I alone in this? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL