The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Believe in Real Magick??? (10 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
karnak
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
747 Posts

Profile of karnak
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2006, ssucahyo wrote:
Fellows, please let me know how many of you believe in Real Magick??

Well, I did write a novel about it once. (Shameless plug!)

"Stage magic and sleight-of-hand trickery meet ceremonial magic and deadly spiritual warfare when a widowed single mom and her amateur magician teen son are caught in the terrifying occult crossfire between warring lodges of modern Magi, battling for possession of an ancient grimoire (an esoteric textbook of ritual magic) containing the arcane secrets of obtaining immortality and limitless supernatural power. MAGIC is an old-school 'metaphysical thriller' or 'spiritual shocker,' updated and set in contemporary suburbia."

Click here to view attached image.
For a supernatural chiller mixing magic (prestidigitation, legerdemain) with Magic (occultism, mysticism), check out my novel MAGIC: AN OCCULT THRILLER at http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Occult-Thriller-Reed-Hall/dp/1453874836
ringmaster
View Profile
Inner circle
Memphis, Down in Dixie
1974 Posts

Profile of ringmaster
Quote:
On Aug 10, 2015, S2000magician wrote:
Quote:
On Sep 12, 2006, ssucahyo wrote:
Fellows, please let me know how many of you believe in Real Magick??

No.

OK, I do.
No, I will not explain why, here.
One of the last living 10-in-one performers. I wanted to be in show business the worst way, and that was it.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I do not believe in "real" magic. While I concede there are plenty of things we do not understand in the world, I also think that is different from "magic(k)".
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
What's the difference between someone who believes in Real Magick and someone who believes in God?? After all, BOTH involve the Supernatural. I notice that those who scoff at Magick are the same ones who believe in God. Isn't that contradictory?
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
Jay Sankey offers --

"Being able to make a pack of cards dance is reassuring and beautiful, orchestrating magical effects is marvelous, mystifying other people is enormously satisfying, and thinking of myself as an accomplished and credible magician is very gratifying, but all of those things are dwarfed by something else: the energy, intelligence and creativity living inside each of us.
To be able to “tune into” this seminal vitality, and at the same time inspire others to unconsciously reveal their own true vital selves, and for us all to share, in those few moments, the truth that being alive together is magic, is for me, real magic."
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Orville_Smith wrote:
What's the difference between someone who believes in Real Magick and someone who believes in God?? After all, BOTH involve the Supernatural. I notice that those who scoff at Magick are the same ones who believe in God. Isn't that contradictory?

Why go there? Seriously what is the point? To inflame others with name calling and mockery? Good job.

As far as I am concerned the "real magic" (K or C.) is not the feeling I get but rather what happens for others.

I was doing busking with balloons of all things and there was a little girl who came to see me EVERY week. She loved it always good people her mom and dad. Then one week she shows up without her mom, had just her dad with her. So I simply asked where her mom was. She said "She is home trying not to die." Turns out her mother was quite sick. Terminal as it were. So in the midst of all of this the little girl wants to come see me to get a balloon to help her mom feel better. Didn't think it had any "magic(K) power other than the ability to make her mom smile at a time which she wasn't really in the mood to do so. Only wanted to make her mother feel more comfortable.

Her father told me that the little girl would not leave her mothers side for any other reason except for this.

There are more stories like this one. To me THAT is what is "magic(K) about what I do. It is not about the tricks or anything else. It is about how people perceive what it is we do and the affect it has on them/
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4246 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
I believe in the supernatural, but I do not believe that one can simply whip it up on command "like a housewife whips up an omelette" to quote Basil Rathbone as Wolf Frankenstein Smile I don't believe that the supernatural is under the control of human beings (though it may seem like it is, at times).
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I don't believe in supernatural, either. If it's there, what would be unnatural or (super)natural, about it? Wouldn't it just be another part of nature?
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5155 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
Quote:
On Aug 15, 2015, Orville_Smith wrote:

Why go there? Seriously what is the point? To inflame others with name calling and mockery? Good job.

As far as I am concerned the "real magic" (K or C.) is not the feeling I get but rather what happens for others.

I was doing busking with balloons of all things and there was a little girl who came to see me EVERY week. She loved it always good people her mom and dad. Then one week she shows up without her mom, had just her dad with her. So I simply asked where her mom was. She said "She is home trying not to die." Turns out her mother was quite sick. Terminal as it were. So in the midst of all of this the little girl wants to come see me to get a balloon to help her mom feel better. Didn't think it had any "magic(K) power other than the ability to make her mom smile at a time which she wasn't really in the mood to do so. Only wanted to make her mother feel more comfortable.

Her father told me that the little girl would not leave her mothers side for any other reason except for this.

There are more stories like this one. To me THAT is what is "magic(K) about what I do. It is not about the tricks or anything else. It is about how people perceive what it is we do and the affect it has on them/

Dannydoyle, your story regarding the girl is beautiful, and proof that your skills as an entertainer have the power to emotionally captivate and move people. That's something every entertainer - I would hope - aspires to.

But please don't dismiss Orville_Smith's comments so overtly. Objectively, he's absolutely right. It's not a debate. Religion is faith-based, not fact-based. He may not be spot-on regarding those who scoff at "Magick," as that would require some factual support. But philosophically, he's on point. We are all just here...confused, concerned, and continually wondering what "here" actually is.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It was a pointless attack. WAY off point sorry.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Orville Smith
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Orville Smith
Quote:
On Aug 16, 2015, Dannydoyle wrote:
It was a pointless attack. WAY off point sorry.

Thank you for your apology. I felt certainly shocked when you had accused me of name-calling when I did none at all. Practicing politeness as I always do, I'm very careful that I don't slight anyone.
At the same time, I also want to compliment you. Your experience with your busking left an impression on me. It was heart-wrenching. But your busking turned heart-wrenching into heart-warming. My hat's off to you.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
It may well be that the moment you choose to acknowledge a belief in continuity or causality - you've entered into the magical.

Just how effective your model of reality is as it concerns your own inner comfort, expectations and results...
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Really?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
The new buzz word is SUPERNORMAL!!!!!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
STAGECOACH!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Believe in Real Magick??? (10 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL