The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Survivor (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2006-09-15 12:14, RobertBloor wrote:
Here's my take on survivor's new season and the people who say it's "wrong"...

ANYONE who is upset over the current season dividing by race is either A) ignorant or B) a hypocrite.

In past season's they've divided by AGE - old farts against youth. Hey guys - that's AGE discrimination.

They've divided by sex - girls v. boys. BTW - that's gender discrimination.

And now they're dividing by race. How is this different than their other episodes?

Before one jumps on the "racism" bandwagon, one should look at the big picture.

Those who are protesting now, but not before are only quietly saying that age and gender discrimination is okay, but race is not.

And the bottom line is this - it's a "realtiy" (cough) TV show. Who cares?

Robert Bloor

Robert,

I can assure you that I am neither ignorant nor a hypocrite. I am indeed unhappy about the racial segregation in this episode of survivor and will not watch it. Just like I didn't watch the episode where they separated the men and women. I agree with you that that was yet another form of discrimination.

I didn't see the age separation as a big deal however. Here is why. With race or sex you are what you are born and will never change. To be classified/judged by that is unfair. It also helps prepetuate biased stereotypes that do us as a society NO good. Some of those stereotype will stay with us for a long time. Age however is a different matter. Every "older" survivor was once young and every "young" survivor will someday be old. The contestants have already or will be in each others shoes some day. I saw that separation as a contest of experience/wisdom verses physical strength.

There was no reason other than ratings for this " social experiment" as they called it. If they really wanted to do a social experiment they should have taken people from different cultures that normally have their own stereotypes of each other and team them up. They either work together or loose the game. ( example... The homophobic marine that became friends with the gay man and learned a think or two about himself at the same time)

Best,

Tim
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2006-09-18 18:38, Timothy Drake wrote:
They either work together or loose the game. ( example... The homophobic marine that became friends with the gay man and learned a thing or two about himself at the same time)

What season did that happen?
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Calling him homophobic is a bit much, he just didn't know any gay people. I have a gay guy in my house renting a room and my closest male friend at work is gay, does that make me militantly pro gay? Nope, cuz I could careless what goes on outside my vision or earshot in their personal life.

As for survivor I think that there is no difference between the Asian, Latin, and those horrible honkies in anyway because they actually are from the same culture, American culture. The only difference for the black folks is they feel a bit of pressure because they do feel they are representing their race. All I know is I'm rooting for the Latins cuz of the girls, with a secondary cheer for the Asians. I want all the guys kicked off the freakin' island.

One last thing, ethnic covers culture etc, they didn't divide based on ethnicity, they divided by race and not everyone of the same race shares the same ethnicity.
Steve V
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
On 2006-09-19 12:45, Vandy Grift wrote:
[/quote]

What season did that happen?
[/quote]

The first season of survivor had ( I can't remember his name ) a marine who didn't like gay people. ( ok.. so maybe homophobic is a strong word but it was more than just " not knowing any gay people" ) He ended up becoming good friends with Richard Hatch ( voted for him in the finale ) and publicly stated at the end of the series that he had been wrong in his original thinking.

Best,

Tim
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
That was Rudy and he wasn't a Marine, he was a squid. Get it straight! LOL.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Rudy was the Master Chief of the Command for SEAL Team Two and I remember seeing memos from him with his name on 'em when I was in (I wasn't a SEAL but worked for an admiral that had a couple boat squads under him). He was and is a very tough guy and just didn't hang out with anyone who was openly gay. There is no rule that makes anyone have to accept anyone but the Master Chief showed what a tolerant fellow he is. One last thing, there was this guy who was a SEAL who did work for Rudy in Virginia, big dude, looked like a young Tom Selleck, about 6'4" of muscle....that guy was as fem as they come (he was married, uh huh, and was quick to whip out photo's of the wife) and Rudy treated him the same as everyone else. Back to Survivor, the first guy booted off was on Letterman last night and the split didn't bother him at all.
Steve V
The Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
1982 Posts

Profile of The Mac
Yup! "SURVIVOR APARTHEID" is gonna draw big in the ratings!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Survivor (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL