The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question about the length of your show and the number of illusions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ben G
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Ben G
Hello all,

I am working on my first real and steady stage show. I was wondering how many illusions you are including as well as the length of your show.
It would help me greatly to balance everything.
Thanks a lot.

Ben
Ben G
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Depends on what type of show you are planning on doing (Comedy, Serious, Major Production, Bizarrist, etc...) Where are you planning on doing it (Headlining, opening for another act, corporate gig and so forth)
For a non headlining show or corporate gig, I would say a 20-30 minute show is good. If you are the draw act or headlining, then have at least 40-60 minutes planned. What I would really recommend for your own flexibility, have an hours worth of material ready that you can break down into 20 minute segments.
My booking experience in the past has shown that the venue doing the hiring has an idea in mind of how long of a show that they want, so it is best to be prepared for however much entertainment they want. It can also help with your pricing. "I have a 20 minute show for $X, 40 minute for $X and the grand stage show for $X. Which one can I get ready for you?"
I'd much rather have an hour of material and have them need 40 minutes, than have 40 minutes when they want an hour.
As for how many illusions...That is extremely subjective. I have one show that is 26 minutes long, and has 6 different major elements/tricks. I have another show that is 15 minutes long, and is just one single illusion. The first is a comedy show, very fast paced and does great in outdoor venues where I need to draw in a crowd and they can pick up what is going on at any point. The other is for a sit down crowd, much slower and more artistic with a lot of tension built up. In the past I also did a comedy illusion act that was 20 minutes long with only one illusion. A lot of patter, build up and "stage business" involving audience members and smaller "tricks".
It all depends on your target crowd and the kind of act you do. Most of my stuff is around 20 minutes long and I do a lot opening for bands and in-between sets at clubs. But I always have at least an hour of material ready.
Gwyd
Ben G
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of Ben G
Thanks a lot Gwyd.
I'll be headlining a show. Serious setting with some bizarre effects too.
I think I'll go with one hour break as you said in 3 parts of 20mn.
Ben G
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
How are you headlining a show with a show you haven't put together yet?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2742 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Don't think of it as how many illusions but more as how many sets/routines. Some routines will only have one illusion whereas others can have 3 or more. Some illusions are quickly done and others can be drawn out.

My current illusion show (over 1 hour) only has two illusions! But that is because I use my other talents like juggling and mime and dance and playing instruments.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
As Stan Kraimien, said in his book, one only needs four illusions for an illusion show. Illusions don't make the show, it enhances it. Some of the better effects like snow storm, "well done" Sands of Egypt, Jumbo Sidekick, and Gumball machine are more powerful than boxes.
Dennis Michael
Lusion
View Profile
Special user
590 Posts

Profile of Lusion
This topic was discussed before correct me if I am wrong.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
ALL of these topics have been discussed before! Smile But we have new people revisiting them, and now and again, new people contributing ideas to an "old" topic.

Ben G: I'd say that in most instances, 45 minutes is the magic time frame to shoot for. The old adage of "leave them wanting more" is a good rule of thumb. That is the upper limit of what I like to do, because in this MTV age, people have to constantly have something coming at them.

My 2¢ worth.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Quote:
On 2006-09-15 15:22, Dannydoyle wrote:
How are you headlining a show with a show you haven't put together yet?

Lets give the guy a break and encourage him..........not try and make him feel stupid. I say good luck and follow your dreams. Hopefully you'll get the answers you need on here to help out your act.

Take care,

Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Question about the length of your show and the number of illusions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL