The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Alternative Party Options (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
Let me start that I have never done a party of any kind, so this may sound crazy... Smile

I was wondering if anyone has done (or considered) a walk-around, table hopping, kid's party show. All I know is that I hate being on stage, but I feel completely comfortable walking up to someone I don't know and showing them a trick one-on-one. I don't think this would work for the 6-8 age group, but there are so many cool effects that are close-up that I think would be so cool at a party with older kids. PLus you wouldn't have to plan a "routine". Master a few tricks and show them to all the kids sepreately or in small groups. The you would get each person's reaction and adjust your plan accordingly. Just an idea, I thought it might be cool...
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Kids are not cooperative when performing strolling magic. When you leave one area to travel to another, the same group will follow you. The ones who saw it a minute ago will be hecklers trying to challenge you if they see you perform it again. They will even try to grab your props.

I think it is best for you to try doing strolling magic in a restaurant. I would recommend for you to read a book titled "The Restaurant Workers Handbook," by Jim Pace and Jerry MacGregor

If kids are more your style, keep trying to do stand up acts in front of them, you'll get use to it, I did. Try doing free shows for different classrooms in a school. You'll get your publicity and practice.
If you have any questions, pm me.

If you wanna be professional, be patient. It won't come overnight. That is why magic is a profession.

If you have any questions, pm me.

Good luck,

Dynamike
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
Put yourself in the Parent's position. What advantage is there to them in having a strolling performer at a childs birthday?
Apart from simply entertainment I can think of very few. Unfortunately most Parents do not normally book childrens performers simply for entertainment but in addittion to occupy/control/babysit the children for an allotted time. I cannot see a big market in this for kids birthdays myself. I also think that not routining your performance is a big mistake (including close up. It seems clear by your post that the reason you are not comfortable performing for larger groups is that you are not ready to perform shows particularly paid shows.
Phillip
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Peedlkyle, Phillip is right. Try getting some experience. Do a few of your friends parties for free.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Since it appears this is what you want to do. then I suggest you get a large table and sit around it doing the tricks only once. Buddy type character. Include several "teach-a-trick" effects do a couple of close-up effects (Solid kid proof stuff because at this range they'll grab.) The teach-a-trickcan be used to "control them". Explain ahead of time you will do a couple of tricks, then teach them one, then a couple more, however, they must remember their manners and no grabbing of the tricks. Teach them easy ones like salt through the table, stuff in Cub Scout Magic Book or Encyclopedia of Imprompt to Magic.

Remember the above advice it is good by if you're going to do close-up with kids this method works. (I use it with Cub Scouts. They see a trick or two then I teach them one from their Magic book.)
Dennis Michael
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
I have done walk-around at a kids' party.
And it worked, but ONLY because the adult supervisor-to-kid ratio was about one to one and there was also another magician performing, which prevented the kids from following either one of use from table to table.
This was a special, "one-off" thing; I doubt that it would work on a regular basis.
Re-read the posts, above, by Phillip Jones and Dennis Dowhy; they pretty well cover this issue.
Cheshire Cat
View Profile
Special user
Wilmslow, UK
941 Posts

Profile of Cheshire Cat
The secret of entertaining children is to keep all (well nearly all!) entertained at all times. This is the reason the parents book us all with such enthusiasm - and why we are discussing high tax bills in another posting. On this basis it is a successful venture usually. I feel your proposition would be like just hiring a facepainter (what are the rest of the kids doing whilst each individual is being attended to?). Children certainly in my Country also usually, when having parties in Church halls, village halls etc., all sit together in joined tables, so how would you sectionalise the table? and last but not least, kids need constant topping up and mopping up of juice, encouraging to eat the sandwiches as well as the crisps etc. at teatime - so you would always be 'in the way' of parents or restaurant staff. You may say at this point: "but I'm not talking teatime". I would reply that apart from 5/10 minutes colouring there is very little chance of children remaining seated at tables for any length of time unless in family groups with adults. You appear to be self-conscious - snap! - after 38 years in the public eye as a pianist then entertainer so am I! But believe me as soon as your little helper is there holding the wand then very few adults will be looking at you. The same if you present puppets. Our early parties were not easy for any of us - some of our earliest ones we stayed 3 hours would you believe!! (for maximum financial gain) - but believe me, if you can stay the pace it gets less strain; and it also gets easier as you get older too! Smile
Peedlkyle
View Profile
New user
I live in my house
98 Posts

Profile of Peedlkyle
I didn't plan to try this. I haven't done a show but have worked a lot with kids and magic. I have had a lot of first hand experience with prop taking and annoying kid hecklers. I have NO IDEA why a parent would want a strolling magician, it just seemed like it might have been cool. I can't do Birthday parties, so what other parties are you guys hired for?
On the other hand, you have different fingers.
aznviet6uy
View Profile
Veteran user
Santa Rosa, CA
315 Posts

Profile of aznviet6uy
i had the same problem of not liking to perform on stage, but as i did it more often i got used to it, i took some drama classes, and now i can face my fears of being on stage looking into thousands and thousands of eyes, hahaha more like 50-100, but HEY! its still alot of people, and i did accomplish a goal i never thought i would ever be able to do.

-Chris
shhh..... I see Magicians.....
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
WHAT would you use just fro kids walk around? And they don't let you set up a table
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
JSMagic
View Profile
Loyal user
Boston
202 Posts

Profile of JSMagic
i only can think of one..sponge balls
If a magician is not intending to "trick" a spectator, why is every "trick" called a magic "trick"?
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
All I can say is listen to the wise words above, Don't try it, the members above have given all the reasons why.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Alternative Party Options (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL