The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Harris "Osmosis" tearing in AOA Vol.2 (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
I like the routine of this trick.

But tearing a card by your fingers while the card is folded into quarters.... How in the H*** can you do that???

I might as well try tearing a full deck of cards.

Any suggestions???
You know how to make God laugh?........... Tell him your plans!!!
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
Practice.(took me awhile to get it too).

Or simply use scissors.

Bending can help a bit, but really you just have to make that first bit really count and then its easy after that.

It helps if you leave a SLIGHT gap between the "halfs" on the edge you are tearing, that way you leave like an 1mm gap between them so you only tear two layers of card at a time instead of 4... but that only helps a little bit...
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1096 Posts

Profile of James F
I had this same problem at first as well. Just keep trying. You'll eventually (and by this I mean like 20-30 tries) find a method of tearing that works. It still hurts though. I remember when I used to do this routine regularly my fingers always hurt. Its like opening a REALLY tight lid. It hurts really bad, but if you give it that extra push, it opens. You just need to try a little harder to tear the card.

james
Caliban
View Profile
Special user
727 Posts

Profile of Caliban
Try using very cheap cards. It's the finish on the better quality cards that makes them harder to tear, so I actually find that poorer quality cards work better for Osmosis. If you go to a discount store and buy the cheapest cards you can find - you'll find they tear MUCH more easily.
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
These are Great tips..... I'll Try Them.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
By the way, I think it is a Mirouf's trick, published in AOA. Its french name is "osmose".
Salby
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1256 Posts

Profile of Salby
Yes-- the actual creator of this effect is Sylvian Mirouf. I just wrote it as Paul Harris' because it was in his book and most people would recognize Paul's name.

I believe Paul added his "Afterthoughts" to this effect though.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Alexis Sandler
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Alexis Sandler
Great performance Michael!

You seem to have swapped the position of the cards around as well. The audience view in your vid is the performer's view in AOA2.

Also, nice use of the PH idea of making the slit on the fly rather than having it prepared. I've always performed it with the prep, but I'll give it a go the other way now I've seen you do it.

Alex
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
The dollar store cards (NOT THE PLASTIC ONES) are very easy to tear. Look for the ones with the dull, thin plastic coatings.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Thanks for the comments. Regarding swapping the position of the cards - that's interesting - I didn't notice that I've done that. I think over the years, I've adapted the routine to fit what I like best.

And about the prepping of the card on the fly - that's the only way to go in my opinion.

I remember having a problem ripping the cards in the beginning. It must be something you acquire the knack for, as I don't have a problem doing it now and I always use bicycles. Some people have suggested cutting the middles out with scissors, but you lose something important when you do that, as the "gaffed portion" is harder to spot when the cards have a rough ripped edge.

MK
kelvinkind
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of kelvinkind
I think this routine would be better when doen with a piece of paper instead of playing card. afterall, tearing a paly card is a really strange thing to do.
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
560 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Try it! Maybe it would work better that way for you. Let me know if it works!
mtstic44
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of mtstic44
I know this is an old thread but I just learned osmosis and I've
practiced and I know what you mean when your fingers hurt.
IT is well worth it and I'm also wanting to learn Paul Harris's
other linking card effects. I have vol. 2 of AoA and I am overwelmed
such great stuff. When I can I'm going to get his other 2 books.
byronmaddox
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of byronmaddox
Regarding the difficulty in tearing the cards. Simply put them in the microwave for about 40-50 seconds. This is what I do with Immaculate Connection. Will need to experiment with time the microwave. They will come curled. Just straighten them out. Done deal! Hope this helps.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Paul Harris "Osmosis" tearing in AOA Vol.2 (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL