The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Stage Show -1 Man Help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey guys,

I am just getting my act polished for the Christmas season. My Xmas act would be so much better with an assistant but I'm afraid we wouldn't be available the same days. I want to try and plan my show so I can move the necessary props around while keeping the audeience in the same frame of mind I am. These aren't giant illusions, but some props need to be brought out at certain times.

Hopefully you guys can give suggestions!

Evan
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
Well I do think it would be much easier to help if we knew what you were planning on performing and in what order?
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
You could borrow one of Santa's elves if it weren't so close to his busy time of the year. So what do you need to move around? For instance?
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
EvanMagic
View Profile
Elite user
Manitoba
471 Posts

Profile of EvanMagic
Hey,

These aren't large scale props. Like a few stands, tables, props. The props aren't huge. But in order to keep the attention of the audience, it would be really nice to have someone help, or have a good plan of organization. I am using a lot of music for audience choosing, and possible in between pieces. I guess it's just choosing the appropriate songs.

Evan
Tyler_Magician
View Profile
Special user
509 Posts

Profile of Tyler_Magician
Change your show so you don't need help moving props around. Many magicians do it by themselves, you just need to make changes to your show and what props you use.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
How about adding good quality locking casters to the bases of items that need to be moved?

Julie
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
I assume you are using several appartus trick in your show.
The number ONE thing to keep in mind, when you leave the stage to retrieve your props you run the risk of loosing your audience. - The reason magicians want assistants in the first place.
At the same time a huge table piled with props, or having too many tables will end up looking more like a product demonstration than a magic act.
Get an assistant, or redo your magic act.
You may want to read Maximum Entertainment by Ken Weber, his advice is priceless of subjects such as this.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I agree with 61magic here, you should at least find yourself one assistant, relatives or friends even do. While performing alone just one or two illusions, it`s ok, but whole show...it`s really hard. I use assistant (at least one) even when I perform Close-Up shows, helps to keep everything smooth and I can concentrate only on performing.
Bill Hoffman
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Bill Hoffman
You do not have to perform the illusion with the assistants. What I mean is you do not have to use a "box jumper" Though someone to help move things around is very nice. Contact your local HS theater class, someone there will be willing to help I'm sure, those kids are usually hungry for any stage time they can get.
MagicBH@Gmail.com
<BR>http://billhoffmanmagic.com
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
Good advice MagicBH Smile
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Reliable assistants are difficult to find. One man acts with big stuff are exhausting. Moving between dates with big stuff on the same day --- a goal to which I once aspired and never made work profitably without ruining my stamina.

For a potential source of assistants though -- check local dance schools for their students.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » New Stage Show -1 Man Help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL