The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate advertising on a budget (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Flec
View Profile
Special user
UK
585 Posts

Profile of Flec
If you wana appeal to big corporate companies, but havn't got a lump of cash in your bank...what do you do?

I do come in contact with these guys quite a lot, and these are the guys I wana do magic for. but I havn't got the money to get myself a brochure, an advert in the press, an advert online etc etc.

I know word of mouth is the best form of advertising, but how can you get that word of mouth? I'm handing out business cards left right and center.

do you guys do anything differently?
Jim Snack
View Profile
Inner circle
1338 Posts

Profile of Jim Snack
You don't need to spend a lot of money if you have an act that meets one of their pressing needs, but you do need to let them know about it. I suggest showcasing your talents at association events where you will be seen by those who work for the corporations you want to work with (I'll let you figure out which associations are a good match for you). You can even barter your services for advertising or a feature story in the association magazine or newsletter. Your phone will start ringing.

Jim
Jim Snack

"Helping Magicians Succeed with Downloadable Resources"
www.success-in-magic.com
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
You will be suprised how far you can get by just making a few phone calls. For example, call a company and ask the receptionist to speak with the person in charge of planning the company Christmas party. You will usually get her to transfer you right away. Tell this person what you do. She may not need you for the Christmas party but she could use you at the company picnic next spring. Calling is cheap and it works better than anything.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
My very first large corporate show came unsolicited. Someone (assistant to the CEO) saw me performing elsewhere (first a rodeo and then a hospital).

Therefore, rule one is meet the people in your existing audiences. Everybody also does something else. Cultivate them!

Remember that the first rule of duck hunting is going where there are ducks.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
I started working trade shows here in Vegas by putting on a suit and going to the convention center and buying a one day ticket to whatever show was happening that day. I walked around and talked to the vendors that were not getting much traffic. I explained how I could help and handed out business cards. Many times, I was able to get into a show using a name badge from a previous show.

I also followed up by phone, letter, and email with every contact that I made at these shows.

This was a very small investment and it resulted in numerous corporate trade show bookings in Vegas, Orlando, Atlanta, LA, Chicago, and New York.
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Wow Lee, that's tenacious,I'm inspired!
here and now
LeeDillingham
View Profile
Loyal user
Las Vegas
263 Posts

Profile of LeeDillingham
Remember trade show work is not for everyone. It is physically hard work. Many times, you will be hunched over a close-up table for 8-9 straight hours. It takes some endurance. Make sure that you have a hot tub and a stiff drink available after the day’s work is over. I have seen many magicians get their first gig and not want a second.

I enjoy the challenge. You have to look at yourself as a member of the booth sales team. Your primary goal is to increase traffic and qualify leads. I always know that I am successful when the booth personnel leave me by myself in the booth. Last week, I was working the big EMS/EMT convention and I made the largest sale of the show by myself when no other booth personnel were around. The client called today and asked if I was available to work their booth at the American Ambulance Association convention in Orlando this week.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Lee,

Great going!

People don't realize too that trade shows are usually on concrete. Hours on that are quite different from the same time on a wooden stage. We don't rehearse on concrete for all the right reasons.

This old marketing professor takes great joy in hearing that the big sale was yours!

It's about relationships with people.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Corporate advertising on a budget (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL