The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » New Sub-Trunk Opinions (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
Hey all, so I have a really big question I'd like to throw out there and get some thoughts and opinions on. I'm working on a new sub-trunk, to go along with a Pirate themed show I'm putting together with some friends of mine. The idea for the sub-trunk would be that it's going to be, instead of a trunk shape, in the shape of an old rum barrel. So some questions I had would be, does anyone know if 1) A sub-trunk has been done in the form of a barrel, and 2) Would this even be possible. I'm worried, you see, about space and stability. A barrel, being taller more-so than wide, might have a tendency to lose it's stability and tip over. I could overcome this obsticale, however, by bracing it around the bottom, but I wouldn't want the audience suspecting that the bracing had something to do with the effect. The other issue, as I mentioned, was size. The top of a barrel being small and circular as it is, I wonder if it would be possible to even have enough room for the t**p, what with someone standing atop it, and if so, would there be enough room for the switch. And the height of the barrel, I wonder if it may be difficult to get in and out of it, as well as on and off of it.

I would really like to build this barrel, so if anyone has any ideas or opinions that may help, please let me know. If not, could you maybe suggest something else to go along with the pirate theme that could be used. Preferably not a treasure chest, as we are incorperating that with another illusion. Thank you for you time and replies.

Patrick
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
I have seen some kegs that are easily large enough to hold a person. Just build it the size you need. The pirate theme is sort of a caricature anyway, so it should fit in nicely.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Consider a sub trunk in the form of a chest. It would fit into your theme without the headaches retrofiting a barrel.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Another idea - you could have a barrel on its side on a stand. This might still function like a pirate chest.

Amos McCormick
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Nyte Dragon
View Profile
New user
Tampa, Fl
66 Posts

Profile of Nyte Dragon
But therein lies the problem, 61magic. We're using a chest for another effect, and I was trying to stray from using 2 chests in the act. Was trying to think of other options, but other objects that would fit the description ellude me.

Amosmc, the problem with turning the barrel on it's side, is I would worry that the curve of the barrel would make balancing quite a challange. Maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I'm thinking.

Thanks for the help, you two. I appreciate all the thoughts and opinions I can get Smile
pradell
View Profile
Special user
Alaska
560 Posts

Profile of pradell
Try building a small model first to see if it will work. My concern is that barrel walls are rounded and not flat. The illusion of the tip over trunk has to do in part with the flat sides and back of the trunk shape. When you tip over the barrel, how do you accomplish the same effect with the curved sides?
:magicrabbit:
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
But this should not be a tip-over trunk, should it... One of his concerns was "to even have enough room for the t**p"

Gene
61magic
View Profile
Special user
Sacramento California
775 Posts

Profile of 61magic
Here is something to think about. I owned an Abbotts canvas box. It was basically a sub trunk with an additional canvas bag laced over the trunk. The method of exchange was done inside a curtain cabinet rather than the standing on top method.
This idea could be adapted to your barrel.
The switch being made in a curtain cabinet so you don't need to worry about standing on it. You could even play with the design of the lid to do away with a tr_p altogether.
Professor J. P. Fawkes
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
Patrick,

If you don't have to do it surrounded, why not check if you can use the "other" sub-trunk method?
(The round shape and the viewer's angles may be a problem...?)

Gene
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Build your prop in the 'shape' of a small row boat.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
leapinglizards
View Profile
Inner circle
1263 Posts

Profile of leapinglizards
I don't remember who, but years ago I saw someone do a sub trunk with a CLEAR barrel. They did the traditional tube curtain presentation, with someone standing on one of the flat round ends. I assume that the T**P either rotated, or went out not in.
Leaping Lizards!!! Who knew it was possible.
<BR>
<BR>www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
A "barrel" is just a rounded container made up of vertical staves and held together with metal hoops. There is nothing magical about the proportions.

Where I'm going with this is that you can make a barrel to whatever proportions fit your needs, as long as it's the basic shape and recognizable as such. A couple of years ago I made three barrels for a production of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead. These had so many requirements it was hilarious: they had to be lightweight bur strong enough to hold actors jumping on them, they had to be big enough for two actors to fit inside at once but not look too large, and they had to be short enough so an actor could step into or out of it without his voice changing.

An afternoon of work with AutoCAD let me work out the proportions, and the things worked out fine. As far as the audience was concerned, they looked like barrels, so they were barrels. Let your pirate theme guide you to the design of this stuff, instead of taking things literally and painting yourself into a corner.
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
The operative I think is t NOT try to retrofit an old whisky barrell. make the thing from scratch soo you controll the proportions.
magicjohn2278
View Profile
Special user
Isle of Man UK
544 Posts

Profile of magicjohn2278
Quote:
On 2006-09-26 19:55, Nyte Dragon wrote:

does anyone know if 1) A sub-trunk has been done in the form of a barrel,....

Patrick

Just for info, I've never seen a sub-trunk barrel, but I have seen a circular sub-trunk... in the shape of an oversized hat-box if I remember correctly..
MagicErik
View Profile
Loyal user
Sneek, Netherlands
284 Posts

Profile of MagicErik
There are some meassurements you have to deal with.. Two persons have to stand on top of it. The trap can be on top or on the back of the barrel. When from the top you need to have space to jump in without hurting your knees. When from behind you need a curtain that is wide enough not to be seen. Standard meassurements for a square trunk are about 100x80x80 centimeters. You probably end up with a somewhat wide and flat drum. Options could also be a dynamite chest or a box made of 2 oildrums next to each other...
Gr, EVI
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » New Sub-Trunk Opinions (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL