The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Anchoring props on stage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Most of us who do stage magic with large props ultimately mount them on wheels to keep the show fast moving on and off stage.

During the actual act those props have to be anchored to not move or roll out from under the performers.

Lucy and I have two basic methods we use.

One is to have the stagehands set the prop atop box bases that get the wheels off stage too high to touch.

The other method we use is to drill two 3/4" holes in the stage. There are two steel post locks on the backs of the props to drop a rod into the holes and lock (like a metal gate) so that the prop can't move.

What methods do the rest of you use?

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
I always install at least two double docking casters on everything I build!!

Jack
Lou Hilario
View Profile
Inner circle
2234 Posts

Profile of Lou Hilario
Hi Bob,
I am curious as to what props on wheels are you referring to? If I wanted to have a prop on wheels to remain stationary, I would attach casters that have locks on it.
The only illusion I had with a lock on its casters was the "Backstage with the Magician" illusion and the Woodbury "Geometrically Impossible" illusion. These were the heavy illusions.
The others did not have to be stationary, unless, you are doing cruise ships.
Magic, Illusions, Juggling, Puppet & Parrot Show ^0^
http://www.louhilario.net
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Sub trunks and Tip Over trunks are examples of a common props on wheels.

I did not include locking casters, although we use them, because the failure rate is so very high. (Do enough shows and they will get someone hurt.)

I have drilled wheels and locked them with a rod but it is very slow threading the rod and impossibly hard to set in the dark.

Locking casters is likely all many people use.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1817 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
My sub trunk is on a dolly so I lift it off, with the assistance of an audience member, and put it on the floor of the stage. My double tip-over trunk was so heavy, it didn't move!

Michael
Fornby
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of Fornby
I am right now building an "Artist's Dream" in my own design (and workings). To make the easel firmly fixed, I have a piece of plywood with four holes where the legs fit, on the floor.

Maybe a solution for you also?
(Everything is black and there are also other objects that cover, in my case).

Gene
Face
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Face
I don't use wheels, I move my props with thing called Roccla, or similar to that. I use wheels only, when the prop must be moved during the performance on stage.
DavidCaserta
View Profile
New user
81 Posts

Profile of DavidCaserta
Use wagon brakes found at any theatrical supply store.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Try using floor locks like the type found on this site: http://www.rwmcasters.com/products-parts.htm

I've had experience with these on a shop floor and they work rather well. You'll need a cross member to attach it to, but they work rather well.

Another option is to put some wooden shims on the floor - casters come to a screeching halt when they hit them.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I have founbd the contact brake (toe touch on and off) is more expensive but well worth the price. ($20-25 a caster for metal style locally.)

Those brakes that lock with two levers (one up and one down) at the side will kill you every time.....
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
George Ledo
View Profile
Magic Café Columnist
SF Bay Area
3042 Posts

Profile of George Ledo
We use wagon locks on platforms and similar units all the time, and they work great. You can get them at theatrical equipment shops, or, for a smaller version at a lower cost, you can use quick-action toggle clamps from a place like Woodcraft (www.woodcraft.com). It's basically the same device but on a smaller scale.

The only hang-up with wagon locks is that they stick sideways out of the base and are ugly, but they're a lot easier to unlock than reaching under the base for the caster-lock release. Whenever possible, we put them on the upstage side of a platform, or just bite the bullet and paint them like the platform itself. Never black!
That's our departed buddy Burt, aka The Great Burtini, doing his famous Cups and Mice routine
www.georgefledo.net

Latest column: "Sorry about the photos in my posts here"
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
George,

Thanks for not telling me to just use bricks.

Actually, I think you should publish your address book. You have some of the best resources of good "stuff".

Thanks!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Anchoring props on stage (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL