The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has to be conceivable to be believable (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
So I finally went and got myself Jason Palter's 'Third Degree Burn'.
And... it's great. Absolutely what I expected, and once I got into the workings I was flying.
I have used 'blistered' for a few years now (I do a long presentation with it), and it was because of this that I believed 'Third Degree Burn' would be fantastic. In fact when I saw the clip I was tempted to make my own device (since, with respect, the method to a magi would have to be fairly obvious)but thought it would be the right thing to do to go and pay Jason for his idea.
However I came to realise in a very short time that there was something wrong. Third Degree Burn is great as a 'magical' effect. Most laughed or went "Woooh" and a few to be honest looked quite shocked. But only a few. And that for me as a 'mentalist' was the problem.
Y'see when I use 'blistered' they ALWAYS go "Woooh" or look absolutely shocked. And I believe it's because their minds can conceive that it just might be possible that I can physiologically produce a blister just by thinking it...... but a blister shaped in the number and suit of the card they are merely thinking of?.... A bridge too far I think. Maybe not for a magician having some fun, but certainly for a mentalist.
Anyway, like I said, I'm not knocking 'Third Degree Burn'. Rather pointing out the differences in thought between commercial magic and the world of the mentalist.
Bobser
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
Colin
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1355 Posts

Profile of Colin
PM'ed you....
Check out Psych-Artist.com now for free essays and other resources.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Point taken. Probably, for a mentalist,you'd have to do a bizzarre bit of presentation, right? Hard to pull off with playing card images. Best to have the image one of several icons chosen. Icons appearing on your finger would be sort of spooky, as in horror movies. Cards appearing? Slick and cool, but magicy, as you said.

How about a small icon applicator with rubber cement on it..it dries to look like a scar. On your arm, this would be pretty snazzy. Easier would be to put the scar on your arm earlier, then force the icon. ...
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2006-09-28 17:07, bobser wrote:
So I finally went and got myself Jason Palter's 'Third Degree Burn'.
And... it's great. Absolutely what I expected, and once I got into the workings I was flying.
I have used 'blistered' for a few years now (I do a long presentation with it), and it was because of this that I believed 'Third Degree Burn' would be fantastic. In fact when I saw the clip I was tempted to make my own device (since, with respect, the method to a magi would have to be fairly obvious)but thought it would be the right thing to do to go and pay Jason for his idea.
However I came to realise in a very short time that there was something wrong. Third Degree Burn is great as a 'magical' effect. Most laughed or went "Woooh" and a few to be honest looked quite shocked. But only a few. And that for me as a 'mentalist' was the problem.
Y'see when I use 'blistered' they ALWAYS go "Woooh" or look absolutely shocked. And I believe it's because their minds can conceive that it just might be possible that I can physiologically produce a blister just by thinking it...... but a blister shaped in the number and suit of the card they are merely thinking of?.... A bridge too far I think. Maybe not for a magician having some fun, but certainly for a mentalist.
Anyway, like I said, I'm not knocking 'Third Degree Burn'. Rather pointing out the differences in thought between commercial magic and the world of the mentalist.
Bobser

I kind of agree with Bobser.I have had TDB for a while now,and I have performed it in the real world to a wide range of reactions.

This is a well made prop.The big shortcoming IMO is that it is too NEAT.Let me explain:If you really could make blister's appear on your fingertips..would they appear perfectly formed as Number/letter,and suit?
I think if they were somehow manifested mentally,they would probably have a more mysterious irregular shape yet still be recognizable.

This is the same train of thought that I had with the Spirit Glass effect where the image of a playing card appears on a glass disc.Very cool,but just too perfect IMO.

This motivated me to create my own spirit glass effect,with a much more mysterious,and 'spirit like image'.

I am now thinking of a way to get the same type of blister effect(certainly not with all the wonderful choices that TDB affords,but something that looks a little less perfect.

This is no way to say that I will never use TDB again.This wonderful prop will be put into action when the appropriate situation calls for it.Probably as Bobser alluded to...when I am performing straight magic or having a little fun. Smile

Best.

Rich
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Quote:

Bobser

Bobser

I agree ... You have "learned" a valuable lesson that many want-to-be mentalists fail to grasp. A performer who wants to entertain people as a mentalist need to understand the importance of "believability".

If it isn't "believable" ... it's magic.

I not slamming magic. I'm a big fan of good magic.

But if you want to be accepted as "Mentalist" --- refrain from mixing magic with menatlism.

Chuck Hickok
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
Bobser,

I am in agreement with Chuck and often times it also extends to the performers presentation and not just the effect.

Having just watched an online video of a guy doing a prediction effect I felt compelled to add this observation to this thread.

Let me say the performer is very competent and offered a polished performance.
But he had the feel that many competent magicians have to their performances.

I have seen this more and more with mentalists of late.
They are slick both in material and performance but not believable.

J ack
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
ChuckHickok
View Profile
Loyal user
245 Posts

Profile of ChuckHickok
Jack,

Good point. Part of what makes a routine believable is the "outcome" must be in doubt. The audience must sense that this is an "experiment" ... and some experiments don't always work.

Audiences expect the Magician to perform without errors.

Audiences watching a good mentalist should be conditioned to expect a few things not to succeed.

Until recently, I did't deliberately make errors. (I just worked around the ones that happened naturally) I am just now experimenting with making a few small deliberate errorss in my memory routine. (Postcard Memory Routine)

Hopefully the errors will condition the audience that I'm human, I doing experiments, and some things don't always work.

I'm learning there is a real art to "acting in peril" ... and getting the audience on your side.

Chuck Hickok
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
My fence has 20,
3226 Posts

Profile of magicmind
Quote:
On 2006-09-30 12:38, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
Point taken. Probably, for a mentalist,you'd have to do a bizzarre bit of presentation, right? Hard to pull off with playing card images. Best to have the image one of several icons chosen. Icons appearing on your finger would be sort of spooky, as in horror movies. Cards appearing? Slick and cool, but magicy, as you said.

How about a small icon applicator with rubber cement on it..it dries to look like a scar. On your arm, this would be pretty snazzy. Easier would be to put the scar on your arm earlier, then force the icon. ...

sounds a lot like an effect called bruised...search for it here on the Café
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Has to be conceivable to be believable (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL