The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommendations on Loads & Ditches (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
I posted this elsewhere, but thought I might get more traffic here.

I would like some ideas on how to do this. I am working on a routine that requires repeated loading(preferably from the back of a table) into a top hat &a box, and ditching(again to the back side of a table).

The object will be a stuffed rabbit, and the table will be whatever is available at the site that I perform at, so what ever I use, it will need to be portable.

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
johnpert
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
322 Posts

Profile of johnpert
Consider using a box made to your specifications. Half of the box could have a cover to be used as a table top to place your hat, etc. This idea is in some of Duane Lafflin's videos.

Duane accesses his loads from the inside of the box, inside hats, and the back of his table (I believe this is his last resort, however).

Hope this helps,

john
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
John

Although there may be some times when I can use the hat or box for ditching, for the most part I want to be able to show the hat, and or a box on the table to be empty so that things can be magically produced from them.

I was thinking of some sort of "bag" that could hang off the edge of the table. Then when the hat is turned open side down, I could move the hat to the edge of the table and let the rabbit drop in - "lapping" into the bag.

For loads, I've read about an "s" shaped "double hook and loop" that can hook onto the table's edge, and hook onto the load.

Yet I was looking for some direction on all this, and other methods.

thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
John, this may not be what you are looking for, but I do a dove production with it & then I do a dump later, of a glass bottle.

http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product......tem=5374

good luck
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
S&M

I am considering BA, but since parts of my routine will involve a larger table area, I will need to work with the table that the site will provide.

Yet something like this, with a dup., and set far from the first table, could provide for a nice appearance/teleportation.

John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Wizards' Journal #9 shows how to use a see-through plastic crate as a "Visible Invisible Well" that can be used on top of any table. You can use the crate as a production item first (the article shows how to produce everything from silks to doves from it), and then set it down on the table when you are finished with it and it continues to act as a well for other nefarious purposes.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
How about a tip-over-trunk style box?

Regan
Mister Mystery
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Is it possible for you to rig the bottom of the hat and the top of the table? If the bottom of the hat hinges in half and the top of the table contains a sliding panel, you could literally open the traps and make your loads and ditches. If you have a matching, ungimmicked hat that you can use during the rest of your show, all you would need is a subtle switch at the appropriate time. I know it's not an elegant solution, but it might work.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Spellbinder: sounds like the opposite of B.A. Yet it does sound interesting.

Regan: My show will be "small" in the props area, but I have considered gimmicking a cardboard box(that could sit on top of a table) in that way. Looking at Wilson's Complete course, I do see that it could allow repeated loadings. So I will need to give this more thought. I'm not sure I have much time to create this, but it could be fun trying.

Magicman: I just got my collapsible hat in the mail today. I think it would be very hard to gimmick w/o destroying it in the process of learning how to create the best flap mechanishm.

For those that don't yet own a collapsible hat, let me warn you that the mechanism, on mine at least, projects 2" into the opening of the hat when it is open, in 4 places! This will place some limitations on the size of my load.

Thanks for the ideas. I am trying to get several loadings and ditching methods, to make each phase look different, and keep ahead of the audience.

Thanks
John
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Recommendations on Loads & Ditches (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL