The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic -- which one is best? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
I am looking to learn the Mental Epic effect. I have seen this performed only once in front of a large crowd of about 200 people. I think I know how the effect is accomplished.

Which Mental Epic product is the best to get? I have seen several sizes offered on various magic sites (large stage-size ones to small table-top ones). I am looking to perform this effect for a small, drawing room audience perhaps around a dining room table, etc. Which one is best?

Thanks for your opinions and info -- as always!

Frank
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
A legal pad works best. I use Danny Archer's Triple Threat. It's probably on his tape, available from LLPUB.COM.

I modified the method slightly so that I use the name of a favorite celebrity, instead of just a word.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
I say forget about the Mental Epic boards and learn Bob Cassidy's version on his DVD. I forgot the name of the effect, but it is basically the same thing except that it is ten times stronger. No boards are used, just billets and envelopes. And there is NO force whatsoever. Three different spectators can think of anything they want, and you read their minds one at a time. It will take more practice than Mental Epic, but it is worth it. And you save money. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I agree that using a version with a notepad is better. Using the "Mental Epic board" smacks of "trick". The one that I'm now doing is StenoESP from Richard Osterlind's new booklet. It is very strong and you end clean. My family, which numbers over 100, meets for Christmas Eve dinner every year and they always ask me to do something. This got one of the strongest responses of anything I think I've ever done.
You can get the book from Richard at:

http://www.osterlindmysteries.com

Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4696 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I agree that Bob Cassidy's "Fourth-Dimensional Telepathy" (available in his excellent "Art of Mentalism II" book and taught on his tape) is the best approach to the classic three-phase prediction effect.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Lior
View Profile
Inner circle
1961 Posts

Profile of Lior
I am not so sure that Bob's Fourth dimensional Telepathy is a prediction!!!

Teny has a very good plastic version
and it can be done close up.
(and then you can move to B'wave)

Toni Binarlei has some Pad epic in his book

happy new year
The Lior Touch
https://1amagic.com/
PEA Dave Lederman Award 2009
PEA Dunninger Award 2001
Life Time Achivmeant IUPA 2016
rickmagic1
View Profile
Inner circle
MIddle Tennessee area
1545 Posts

Profile of rickmagic1
I have to agree with Philemon on that one also. I think the fact that one of the bits of info being "predicted" is a drawing duplication adds a nice change up in the routine. If you're going to do anything in mentalism, you definitely want to use objects that the audience is very familiar with to reduce the chance of them thinking "trick". Both Osterlind's and Cassidy's versions do this
Rick
Richard Green
The Modern Conjurer

Coming soon:
Victorian Secrets: An Evening With The Spirits!
mystic1
View Profile
Veteran user
342 Posts

Profile of mystic1
"Numbered" index cards. Cost: less than 2 cents
Bilwonder
View Profile
Veteran user
Oroville CA
327 Posts

Profile of Bilwonder
I agree that the Epic board tends to look out of place. If you do get one, I think it must be a white board. It's cleaner, clearer and more often used now days in the "real world." I would also make sure it is gimmicked so as no force is needed as in "Final Epic" by Alan Shaxon in his book Practical Sorcery. He make use of a clever 2nd slide. Haydens looks nice in the ads, but I haven't actually seen it to know it's set up.
billswondershow.com
"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
Tony Razzano
View Profile
Inner circle
South River, NJ
1600 Posts

Profile of Tony Razzano
Get Richard Osterlind's new book. His mental epic routine is one of the best and uses a steno pad. One of two "epic" type routines that I use. Sorry, I won't discuss the other one.

But Osterlind's is all you really need. It is very good!!!
Best regards,
<BR>Tony Razzano, Past President, PEA
Winner of the PEA"s Bascom Jones and Bob Haines Awards
fhood
View Profile
New user
Southern California
86 Posts

Profile of fhood
Thanks for all the info. I'm going to look into the Osterlind booklet. Thanks again!

Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Mental Epic -- which one is best? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL