The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Effect Plot Too Grisly To talk About.. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Do you like effects that are way beyond macabre? I'm talking about crossing the line into bad taste land.

If so, I have an idea for a grisly packet effect...just the bare plot bones, though. Inspired by R. Shanes "Slasher" I think this would be the ultimate low in bad taste. And that's terrible for me to say, since it's my own idea! I am sure I will never go to the trouble of actually making it up, because there is no place I can think of performing it where people wouldn't turn away in horror and revulsion. Heck, it even makes me sick! It would be waste of money to put it together...if I even finished the plot.

But I can't talk about it here, because it would be deleted, so if you want to hear about this sick thing in all it's gruesome details , please PM me.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
brian giberson
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of brian giberson
Let's see...bad taste, sick, horror and revulsion. Is that what you want to communicate to your audience?

Magic is a presentation that a performer starts with words, props and presentation, then is concluded in the spectators mind and imagination. Why would you wish any of your above stated goals on someone?

You sound like your aware that this is over the line. I just worry that an unseasoned magician, eager to shock, will create more magic hating spectators that other magicians will later encounter. ( The Web anyone?)

Now having said all that, If this is a mental exercise that you are just puzzling out for your own amusement....go for it. I've practiced and scripted out things I have no intention of performing just because I enjoy the mental exercise.

Shock is easy, macabre is harder, wonder is very hard.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
A packet effect that causes revulsion ?

That's redundant !!
Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4207 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
Quote:
On 2006-10-20 01:06, Mystician wrote:
A packet effect that causes revulsion ?

That's redundant !!

LOL That was funny.
John Nesbit
View Profile
Inner circle
United States
1421 Posts

Profile of John Nesbit
Yes, such as "The Web" !
;)

Peter Marucci has come up with some gruesome effects (stories), with cards. Nicely thought out.
gsidhe
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1725 Posts

Profile of gsidhe
Quote:
On 2006-10-20 00:30, brian giberson wrote:
Let's see...bad taste, sick, horror and revulsion. Is that what you want to communicate to your audience?

Magic is a presentation that a performer starts with words, props and presentation, then is concluded in the spectators mind and imagination. Why would you wish any of your above stated goals on someone?

You sound like your aware that this is over the line. I just worry that an unseasoned magician, eager to shock, will create more magic hating spectators that other magicians will later encounter. ( The Web anyone?)

Now having said all that, If this is a mental exercise that you are just puzzling out for your own amusement....go for it. I've practiced and scripted out things I have no intention of performing just because I enjoy the mental exercise.

Shock is easy, macabre is harder, wonder is very hard.

Trust me...There is an audience for it.
If you give it to them properly, they will love you for it.
Gwyd
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Effect Plot Too Grisly To talk About.. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL