The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Gig that literally fell in my lap... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Just a short note to highlight the need for constant vigilance in your marketing of yourself...

Here's the scenario:

I'm sitting at work (Magic Shop)...Helping customers, working on card sleights, trying to stay awake, etc....Right?

My cell phone rings...It's the CEO of the biggest Dairy in this region....

He says he heard about me from a woman (who I have NEVER met) and that I'm an excellent juggler.

He wants to know if I'm available to work a parade in Dec....I'll be walking in front of an Antique Milk Truck in the Christmas Parade while juggling 3 balls...

My jaw drops when he tells me they will pay me $200 to juggle and walk for 1.25 miles in the Parade...

OBVIOUSLY I agree on the spot, right?

The point of this post?

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS stick to the way you promote/bill yourself...It truely DOES pay off! I have, since my arrival in Branson, made sure that folks KNOW that Professor Piper is a: Singing, Juggling, Fire-Eating, Magical, Ventriloquist...

They KNOW that Prof. Piper is a juggler...

Now I have to find a way to contact this woman and do some investigation as to how SHE heard of me so I can continue to play on this 'word of mouth' and to thank her profusely!

Keep pluggin!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Steve V
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1878 Posts

Profile of Steve V
Nice!
Steve V
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
Word of mouth is THE best way to get work. As a general principle talk to everybody, give out your card when they show the slightest interest and do a little but impressive trick for them (if they don't look interested then don't do anything, you don't want to give the impression of being boring). I find doing a coin trick or a juggle with 3 coins is enough to prove my bona fides without going over the top and looking big headed.

Getting calls from agents you have never sent your details to because other agents have told them about you is one of the nicer ways that word of mouth works. Getting known as a poor act through agents talking to each other can be a disaster. It's not happened to me but I know a clown who barely has any work now.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Terry
You were unhappy last Spring when you didn't get the job, so keep this job in the back of your mind for the upcoming Winter.
CONGRADULATIONS
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
BINGO Al....

I had to remind myself of this VERY issue!!

Time, it's a b@tch, but if you can stand it, it pays off...

I mean, the CEO of the largest Dairy in the area calls me personally...This is HUGE, seeing as he is interested in doing gigs 'outside the box'....

This could very well lead to other work, which I will SEIZE upon with gusto...

It's nice to be reminded of the lessons that I try to impart to others...

Patience...Determination...Patience....Practice....Patience....Keep on doing the right thing....

Patience.

Thanks again guys...I'm JAZZED!

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
busterjuggler
View Profile
Veteran user
Australia travelling worldwide now
352 Posts

Profile of busterjuggler
Wicked man!

James
James BuSTAR
Australia's Comedy Juggling Superstar
info@jamesbustar.com
http://www.jugglingsuperstar.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Catch this if you can! » » Gig that literally fell in my lap... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL