The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Prestige: 'The Secrets are disappointing!' (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
While it is certainly true that most magic secrets are disappointing, boring or too logical to be amazing, I think there are many effects wherein the method is more interesting than the effect itself.

Magic squares, Magic Inc's 'Transactions', and 'The Powers of Darkness' would be 3 for me, that I think have a more interesting method than effect.

Are there others?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Don't know. But I certainly don't want something that has a more interesting method than effect. I want the effect to be amazing. Maybe a method that's on par with the effect...
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4451 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
We all do, but sometimes that isn't the case.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Sean Macfarlane
View Profile
Special user
880 Posts

Profile of Sean Macfarlane
Fickle Nickel by John Cornelious is a great method and fun to perform too.

Sean
itsmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
middle earth
1117 Posts

Profile of itsmagic
I think the movie was speaking to the fact that once the secret is known, the magic is lost.

The whole movie wraps around Algiere trying to figure out the "real" secret to the Transported Man.
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4186 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
The secrets are simple -- and that is our biggest secret! If our audiences realize the simplicity of what we do -- we lose our "prestige" ;-)
xxx
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Right on, Icy Rabbit.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
tophatter
View Profile
Inner circle
connecticut
3341 Posts

Profile of tophatter
Well said Icy _ rabbit !!
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2006-10-23 15:39, itsmagic wrote:
I think the movie was speaking to the fact that once the secret is known, the magic is lost.

The whole movie wraps around Algiere trying to figure out the "real" secret to the Transported Man.

Not to mention obsession usually gets the best of you sooner or later. It was a good movie; I can't wait to get the DVD.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Did anyone see any magician's or familiar names in the credits?
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2290 Posts

Profile of Logan
Mine would have to be Die-Cipher and the Matchbox Penetration, very sneaky and unassuming.

Not to mention effective and examinable!
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Barrett_James
View Profile
Loyal user
Southern Arizona
242 Posts

Profile of Barrett_James
Quote:
On 2006-10-30 04:17, Mr. Muggle wrote:
Did anyone see any magician's or familiar names in the credits?

Wasn't that Ricky Jay performing in the opening sequences? Anyone recognize anyone else?!?

Regards,

Barrett James
"...let us now rejoin our foolish friends and commence the book properly." G.H.
markparker
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
350 Posts

Profile of markparker
Ricky Jay and Michael Weber provided the magic consultantcy and Ricky Jay played the Character 'Milton the Magician'
http://www.illusion-designer.com - Bespoke Illusion design - Publications -Show consultancy....Vivify a collection of stage illusions limited edition of 500 copies available now.
JohnWolf
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of JohnWolf
Icy_rabbit pointed out ...The secrets are simple -- and that is our biggest secret! If our audiences realize the simplicity of what we do -- we lose our "prestige" ;-)

He made a very good point. Recall the effect of having a spectator seated and showing him/her how to do a vanish of a rolled up napkin. Everyone in the audience will know the method except the one seated on stage. I used to do a little warm up to keep my hands busy before a show of just holding a silver dollar in my palm and tossing it from hand to hand as I turnd them over. A spectator caught a look at it and coundn't understand how I could do it. To them it dissapeared from one hand and appeared in the other. The speed at which the brain can process images is why movies caught on.
John
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Prestige: 'The Secrets are disappointing!' (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL