The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggested reading for Q/A (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I've seen Banachek do his Q&A live. It was very good . . .

He was so bold, working right under my nose!

I have not seen many Q&A performances.

Best,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
P.S. I use the Final Answer.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
Glenn Falkenstein performs and teaches his blindfold Q&A on his video. I've seen several performances of Q&A and it can be either very powerful or very boring. It depends on the performers personality. Also Lee Earl has a Q&A teach in.

Steved
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Duh. How could I forget F&W?

Best,
J.
adgnyc
View Profile
Loyal user
New York City
293 Posts

Profile of adgnyc
Bob Cassidy has many incisive thoughts about -- and full routines for -- Q&A. I particularly commend his Jazz Q&A in "The Artful Mentalism of Bob Cassidy," which, to me, remains the nonpareil of effective mentalism. (This is not intended as a slight to other mentalists.)
Adam Green
New York, NY
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
I saw Kreskin do his act live, including the Q & A.

He struggled but it was a very senior audience.

During the contact mind reading he got five people on stage to hide the object. Two of them changed their minds and just weren't there when Kreskin returned.

When he was doing a card divination effect audience members were calling the cards out...for some reason the method was well known to these seniors and they knew what card came next.

Tough crowd...Kreskin did real good.
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 18:36, jaymon59 wrote:
TJ,
Could you please share with the rest of us what that book is?
Thanks,
Jaymon59

It was Invisible Tarot
TJ
teejay
View Profile
Inner circle
Liverpool, UK
1831 Posts

Profile of teejay
Hi Bev
Your question seems to have hit the nail on the head LOL

Quote:
On 2007-02-27 18:55, bevbevvybev wrote:
You know what's funny is that this question keeps popping up time and time again
But no one ever asks the question 'Does anyone know where I can SEE a Q&A routine being PERFORMED?'
Which is crazy really. For something that is so rarely even witnessed Q&A sure does grab a lot of attention.
So come on folks, which Q&A that you've seen performed either in person or on a dvd/video do you like the best?
The only one I can think of that's actually on dvd somewhere is Osterlind's.
Any others? Any Q&A on video ANYWHERE which is actually 'the real deal' (as in completely ungaffed question answering based on cold reading etc?)
There's lots of talk and questions about it, but do people even know what it is, or what it can be?
Malchat
View Profile
Special user
The Kingdom of Croiset and Wonder
885 Posts

Profile of Malchat
Quote:
On 2007-02-27 18:55, bevbevvybev wrote:
You know what's funny is that this question keeps popping up time and time again
But no one ever asks the question 'Does anyone know where I can SEE a Q&A routine being PERFORMED?'
Which is crazy really. For something that is so rarely even witnessed Q&A sure does grab a lot of attention.

Fair points, but I don't think it's so crazy considering the way many of us learn this art.

In fact, I'd go so far as to claim that you don't ever see most mentalism effects performed. Most of the good ones, the classics, the ones that really matter, are in old magazines, obscure booklets and limited manuscripts, and not captured on DVDs that you can conveniently fast-forward through. True performers are also scarce on the ground (at least where I live.)

I can honestly say I've never seen such a perfect Q&A performed, at least not according to the conditions Bev lays out... not even the psychics (not entertainers, psychics) I've witnessed do it completely cold - they always asked for the question or read it, no apologies.

But I still strive to emulate that kind of holy grail presentation to the best of my ability, based on what I believe it should look like, what I think is convincing and artistically pleasing. I use gimmicks, but I'm considering phasing them out as my experience grows.

I'm starting to realize that the theory only takes you so far. You just have to go out there and do it. Confidence is a greater asset than by-rote technique in this case.

As a side-note, not directly related to Bev's post: if you're not using some form of intuition or character reading in every effect you do, chances are you're not doing mentalism. After all, how can you claim to have all these incredible connections to people's minds if you can't even make the simplest observations about them?

Cold reading is not a cute technique to dress up a Q&A - it really should infuse everything you do.
“You are what you pretend to be.”
Lord Of The Horses
View Profile
Inner circle
5406 Posts

Profile of Lord Of The Horses
We should also open a thread "SUGGESTED PRACTICE FOR Q/A".

Reading as many books as you can, watch as many videos as you can, listen to the big names like Dewey, Webster, Martin on tape or CD... but then go out and go ahead and JUMP (as David Lee Roth would say! Smile )

Sooner or later this is a REQUIRED step!
Then you'll rise right before my eyes, on wings that fill the sky, like a phoenix rising!
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
If anyone's done a memory routine, you'll know that you have to first remember each item with a peg word/association, and then 'forget' it

This is kind of what I do with Q&A, as well as peeks. I don't take too close a look. I don't take too close a peek. Sometimes I miss-read the info. However, it means that there certianly is less than a glance to be 'found out' but also it means that sometimes I can struggle to even remember what I looked at, if I got it right at all.

My struggle is believeable, I can't flippin' remember the stuff I looked at! Comes across as looking like the real thing sometimes.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12967 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2007-03-12 14:33, bevbevvybev wrote:
If anyone's done a memory routine, you'll know that you have to first remember each item with a peg word/association, and then 'forget' it

This is kind of what I do with Q&A, as well as peeks. I don't take too close a look. I don't take too close a peek. Sometimes I miss-read the info. However, it means that there certianly is less than a glance to be 'found out' but also it means that sometimes I can struggle to even remember what I looked at, if I got it right at all.

My struggle is believeable, I can't flippin' remember the stuff I looked at! Comes across as looking like the real thing sometimes.

Ok, that's it. I told myself if I read one more of your posts -- bevbevvybev -- I was going to buy your COMBINED EBOOK + FLASH CARDS + TICK SHEET SYSTEM + TICK SHEET SYSTEM EBOOK.

I just did. Now I will be able to read Palms. 'Cause there's lots of those down here in Florida.

John
bevbevvybev
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
2674 Posts

Profile of bevbevvybev
Hehe
wish you luck
not that you'll need it!
you'll have fun and make money
roll on holiday season!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Suggested reading for Q/A (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL