The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Ash on Arm? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

fallingblood
View Profile
New user
North Dakota
98 Posts

Profile of fallingblood
I've been trying to find the creator of the ash on arm effect (also called Voodoo ash, and Satan's ashes. It's the effect in which a spectators selected card appears in ash on the magicians arm). I've found that Frank Garcia had it as Satan's Ashes. But then I'm told that John White had it in a book (White's Hocus Pocus published in 1715). So I was wondering if anyone knew exactly where this effect comes from?

The reason I want to know is because I created effect that is similiar (as in the spectators card, or other object is revealed on the magicians arm) and I want to give credit where credit is due. So any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If it goes back to White's Hocus Pocus, you are safe in saying "the very old ashes on the arm trick."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Clay Shevlin
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of Clay Shevlin
This effect is indeed old. In the recent issue of Gibeciere, an article on Japanese magic suggests that this trick also existed for centuries in Japan. I admire your desire to give credit, but doubt that you will be able to indentify the originator. Most, if not all, of the tricks documented in "ancient" magic books, did not credit the creator, in part because the creator was unknown, but perhaps more because the "author" wanted to claim credit for himself. There is very little in White's book that was not previously published.

Clay
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
I wouldn't mind knowing also. But it is pretty old.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » For the record » » Ash on Arm? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL