The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you like Ted Lesley? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Regalfan, I don't think the mentalists in this part of the forum will answer that question, mostly because they don't know themselves. Try asking in the Pick a Card section. If I knew I would tell you. Let me know what you find out.
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Actually CardGuy, the mentalists in this section do know card in envelope, and the card in envelope that Ted has in his book is NOT a typical signed card in envelope effect. It IS a mental card effect instead and is expanded from the original effect that was published in a seperate manuscript before the book was out. If you want a knock out card effect from Ted, there are several although not available from his book but must be purchased seperatly. His card stb routine is one you can close a show with, and "Powers of Suggestion" will draw gasps from your unbeleiving audience. He also has several others on his web site that are knock-outs.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/Abstagecraft
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Ted Lesley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Berlin / Germany
421 Posts

Profile of Ted Lesley
Hello Friends:
Firstly I want to thank everybody for his opinion on my DVDïs and Videoïs "Cabaret Magic" and "Cabaret Mentalism" produced by "L & L". To me, the good and the bad reviews also are very important! One of the critics, Mr. David Malek from California had the the following to say (quote):

"Both Cabaret Magic and Cabaret Mind Reading video and DVD contain excellent tricks just one of the worst performers the world has ever seen. Ted Lesley (in English) to put it mildly SUCKS as a performer"!

A couple of years ago I was hired by the Prince and the Princess of Schaumburg-Lippe,
to entertain the guests at their 25th. wedding anniversary.

As I was waiting to perform, the well known German/European actor Mr. Curd Juergens came accidentally in the room and we started a conversation about reviews, showmanship and stage presence. He noticed immediately, that I was a victim of stage fright and said, that this kind of "nervousness" is good for the performer. As long as he has it before he has to go on, so he said, is it a good sign, because if it is gone, you should not step on a stage anymore. Guess why?

Later, after the show as I met him again in the big hall of the Schaumburg castle. we continued to talk and he was kind enough to give me the following advice:

1.)
"Greet all the people on your way to the top, because you could met them again on your way down!"

2.)
"Nothing is as old as yesterdays newspaper!"

3.)
"A critic can write what he wants about you, but make sure, that he spells your name right!"

These three sentences/statements I wrote on a piece of stationary and framed it. They`re still on my desk.

So I don`t care about reviews anymore, and for this reason I will shortly put Mr. Malek`s review in my publicity, but I have to ask him for permission first. I want to give all my clients, the old and the new ones, something to laugh. I have not much publicity, I am booked more or less "by worth of mouth" and that since over 20 years!

What I do not like are amateurs, who write a bad review on a proïs work only for the reason, that they didn`t see any new move on the video or DVD. Also they write that the particular performer shows "run-of-the-mill-" or "aged" stuff only.

LET THOSE PEOPLE WRITE WHAT THEY WANT, because they usually do not pay you. Let the audience be your judge. As long as you work constantly for high fees you can`t be bad, canït you?

Any questions?
Feel free to ask!

TED
Ted Lesley

( The "Victor Borge" of Mentalism )
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24314 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I'm going to have to add my two dollars' worth to this discussion. I probably know more about Paramiracles than anyone else who has posted to this topic, except Ted, himself, because I translated it. Unlike the material that you may find in books by some other mentalists, everything that Ted has published in Paramiracles is thoroughly tested and absolutely sure-fire. Nothing in it is difficult at all, with the possible exception of "Pro-monition," which will require some minor mental gymnastics. Everything is calculated for maximum audience impact.

Regarding the videos, I must disagree with the people who say that they are bumbling and boring. Those who have that opinion missed the boat completely. First of all, the mentalism video is the second half of a larger performance, so the "bang-up" opener simply isn't there. If you have both videos, this will become clear to you.

While the performance may not be your style, it works. I would challenge anyone who has criticized the act harshly to try to perform his own act in German. I have serious doubts that any of them would be able to do well at all.

Regarding the explanations -- they are quite clear to me. I didn't have any difficulty understanding any of the explanations on the videos. There were a couple of spots where Charles Reynolds added some clarifications. I'm sure Ted would have liked to go into more detail on a couple of items, but these videos have a finite length. There has to be a choice of omitting material or omitting explanations.

I have seen Ted perform his act in Berlin. There is absolutely nothing left to chance in his act. Even the choice of spectator to help him with certain items is done simply to enhance the visual aspect of the ending of the effect. The man's level of thinking is extremely clever and diabolical.

It is very easy to criticize that which you don't understand. It is much better to learn from it.

And the card in the envelope is very clean.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
jw_2101
View Profile
New user
Singapore
76 Posts

Profile of jw_2101
Yes i give his cabaret show videos a thumbs up!!

regds
Jonathan
He is no fool who would give what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
cardguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, New York
1171 Posts

Profile of cardguy
Quote:
On 2003-01-02 11:50, Thoughtreader wrote:
Actually CardGuy, the mentalists in this section do know card in envelope, and the card in envelope that Ted has in his book is NOT a typical signed card in envelope effect. It IS a mental card effect instead and is expanded from the original effect that was published in a seperate manuscript before the book was out. If you want a knock out card effect from Ted, there are several although not available from his book but must be purchased seperatly. His card stb routine is one you can close a show with, and "Powers of Suggestion" will draw gasps from your unbeleiving audience. He also has several others on his web site that are knock-outs.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
http://www.stores.ebay.ca/Abstagecraft

Sorry Paul, I guess I misunderstood the question. I was thinking more of "card to impossible location". Thanks for clearing it up. Smile
Frank G. a.k.a. Cardguy
johne
View Profile
Special user
960 Posts

Profile of johne
Good advice Mr. Leviss. When you said, "I'd much prefer in-depth explanations of a few pieces than brief explanations of many." I had the same video's in mind. Although the PK is short, I still find myself watching again and again, seeing if I left out and gems.

John
Dr. TORA
View Profile
Inner circle
TURKEY
1439 Posts

Profile of Dr. TORA
Card Guy,
If you think that the people here do not know anything about card magic, you are terribly mistaken...Many guys like myself are fine card workers and they also do magic as well as mentalism. To be a mentalist does not mean that we only know about mentalism. Paul had given a very polite answer. We should not exceed the limits we want to say or we may hurt the others. Only my opinion...
All the best.

About Ted Lesley, Although I have not seen his works on tapes, I can say a few words about the "Paramiracles" : it is a miracle book. It is really wonderfull and you can ask about anything about the book to Mr.Lesley privately, he gladly answers. There is a wine glass bending effect in the book and it woths more than the book itself. Every minute you are without this book is a loss. I highly recommend it.
Magically Yours,

OZLEN TUNCER /Dr.TORA

Have you visited my new Website in English, yet?

www.magictora.com or www.torasmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » How do you like Ted Lesley? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL