The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any thoughts on my new routine? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

dave_cane
View Profile
New user
England
34 Posts

Profile of dave_cane
I've worked out a new mentalism routine, and I would appreciate any comments on it. So here goes...

'A member of the audience is called up and is asked to name any card in the pack.

They are then asked to name a colour and a balloon of their chosen colour is popped. Inside is the card they thought of.'

How does that sound to you?
Any comments would be great,
Thanks,
Dave.
AllThumbs
View Profile
Veteran user
UK
375 Posts

Profile of AllThumbs
Why Balloons? I'd personally stay clear of the use of balloons within mentalism although I know some performers have been known to use them on occaision...

Sounds like a great magic trick though.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova
The above is all rubbish, except that which you chose to believe
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Sounds like an interesting, and different, idea. I'd suggest making sure the balloons are semi-opaque. Indicate that there is a card in each one, but the opaque quality of the balloon prevents anyone from seeing the value of the card.

Just an idea.
Happy New Year!
Joe L. Smile
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
Sid Mayer
View Profile
Special user
Santa Fe, NM
656 Posts

Profile of Sid Mayer
I had a similar idea but I found that wearing fiftytwo balloons in pocket indexes tended to make me look fat.

I hope that your idea is more practical than mine.

Sid Smile
All the world's a stage ... and everybody on it is overacting.
saglaser
View Profile
Loyal user
Champaign, IL
248 Posts

Profile of saglaser
I agree with Kris. It seems too tricky looking to be mentalism. But it sounds worth developing as a good magic trick.
dave_cane
View Profile
New user
England
34 Posts

Profile of dave_cane
Well with the balloon, I was thinking that it could already have been blown up and put up at the side of the stage with other, and empty balloons.

Even though it does sound quite tricky as a mentalism trick it's not. It's actually quite simple.
The balloon was an idea I had as it was a way to hide the card and if my prediction was wrong, then I could just move on to another trick (the choice of a card is more accurate than you would think).

P.S. To clear up any confusion, only one card is needed and it should be put up by the stage as though it were a 'decoration' along with other balloons.

Happy New Year!!!
Agathon
View Profile
Regular user
161 Posts

Profile of Agathon
It all depends on your stage persona. And yes, it is a simple, and complicated as that.

Charles Spector Smile
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
card index? seems weak.
dave_cane
View Profile
New user
England
34 Posts

Profile of dave_cane
Ok sorry for asking but what are you talking about, card index?
jlibby
View Profile
Inner circle
1044 Posts

Profile of jlibby
Dave, the real test will be to try it out in front of living, breathing people.

Break a leg!
Joe L. Smile
My new FREE ebook on the classic Mismade Bill trick is ready for you:
https://funnybirthdayshow.com/mismadebill/
dave_cane
View Profile
New user
England
34 Posts

Profile of dave_cane
Thnx for that I will and I'll tell how it goes,

Dave
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
Sid, your response gave me a good laugh this morning (52 inflated balloons in an index! Where else can you tell a joke like that?). Thanks!
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
Lee Davies
View Profile
Regular user
Derby, England
136 Posts

Profile of Lee Davies
Quote:
On 2002-12-31 17:03, AllThumbs wrote:
Why Balloons? I'd personally stay clear of the use of balloons
Sounds like a great magic trick though.

Regards,

Kris Sheglova

I agree with Kris on this one. Could you not substitute the balloons with people holding the cards? This may add to the overall impact of the effect.
I will not cease from mental fight,
Nor shall my sword sleep in my hand...
spiral-stares
View Profile
New user
New York City
90 Posts

Profile of spiral-stares
I don't get why the person is choosing a color and then a balloon of that color is popped. That seems convoluted to me. My guess is that the methodology behind the trick requires the "choosing a color" portion.

The simple and straightforward trick (so to my mind the more powerful trick) is: There is only one balloon, the spectator names any card, the balloon is popped and inside is their card.
dave_cane
View Profile
New user
England
34 Posts

Profile of dave_cane
Thanks for that spiral I performed it like you said for some friends and it went very well indeed, thanx everyone!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Any thoughts on my new routine? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL