The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in southeast Asia. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

travisb
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
548 Posts

Profile of travisb
Has anybody done this? Anything they care to share? Stuff they wish somebody had told them before they tried?

-Travis
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you work in a mountainous region, don't eat the yellow snow.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
.. otherwise it's ok to eat the yellow snow?
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
I've heard that yellow snow from the Himalayas will make you Yak.

Sorry, not South East Asia; Korea, Hong Kong, Japan, and the Philippines.

Tony
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Look out for your diet,,,Philippines, no dairy produce. don't expect fat hats the country is very poor,,,but their smiles and humanity are worth the trip.
Pics of their expressions on your publicity or website during performance will be priceless to you.

Ken
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hi,

I lived in Taiwan for 16 years and did a lot of busking there. Mostly found that a trickle worked better than doing a tip. I made balloons with my kids and we could make up to $500 a night. I did a small show out front and offered balloons instead of the hat, then ballyhooyed (sp) to keep a crowd at the table for hours at a time. I found that mostly Asians don't really have it in their culture to know how to part with their money when it comes to busking. I've seen mime/statues do ok. Main problem is the language, if they don't understand what your saying, they can't get the jokes, they then don't really understand what to do. Of course if you go to the Phillipines they all speak English, but are poor, India lots speak English but are poor. Japan was good for busking and the Japanese have big wallets.

All the best,

JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
It depends on the country
but in general the culture is just not there . . . .
Cards never lie
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I come from Singapore and have busked as a musician in a group before. (Not a magician, but I'll love to.) In general, those that are most generous with tips are actually the tourists or the foreigners around; the locals tend to tip less.

However, people here are more prone to tipping if your performance is done to raise money for charities. But that means you're doing charity work and not making a living.
Magic1
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles
408 Posts

Profile of Magic1
Thanks for the question. I've always wanted to check out this part of the world and we already have some excellent answers here. Anyone else with asian busking experience want to weigh in?

Thank you,
phillys
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of phillys
I've had the opportunity to 'busk' in one of the fairs held around here in MALAYSIA. I must say that I'm very disappointed with the general attitude of the Malaysians towards street workers because that look at us as 'beggers so to say. After standing around performing for 8 hours straight, I made a grand total of RM39 or USD$10.

I think I'm not a good street performer, heh.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » Busking in southeast Asia. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL