The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Giuseppe
View Profile
New user
Atlanta
70 Posts

Profile of Giuseppe
I just bought a TT to vanish a silk at a talent show. The problem is that it doesn't look like my hand (color is too dark)
Is there a way to make it look more like my hand color.
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Giuseppe,

This has been discussed a lot at the Magic Café. I will summarize for you:

1) you COULD use makeup to change the color of your hand;
2) you COULD mix up paint and change the color of your TT.

However, it simply doesn't matter that the TT doesn't match your hand. The spectators should never see the tip. There are true stories of magicians using bright orange or red thumbtips to prove the point. "Magician's guilt" will cause the tip to be seen much faster than any color discrepancy. Just relax, and use the thing as it is.

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Giuseppe,
John is absolutely correct in his post, above.
The biggest problem most magicians have with the tip is not the color but in acting natural when using it.
A (now-deceased) magician I knew when I was much younger used to wear his tip all the time, even when not performing.
That way, when it came time to use it, he was perfectly comfortable with it.
Learn (and it WILL take learning) to ignore the tip and don't try to "over-prove" that your hands are empty. A very casual movement of the hand will get that message across.

"Only the guilty flee when no man pursueth."
-- The Bible

"Don't run if you ain't bein' chased."
-- Satchel Paige.

"Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana."
-- Groucho Marx.

(That last one has nothing to do with the use of a thumb tip; I just like it. Smile )
John Clarkson
View Profile
Special user
Santa Barbara, CA
749 Posts

Profile of John Clarkson
Quote:
On 2003-01-01 13:01, Peter Marucci wrote:

"Time flies like an arrow but fruit flies like a banana."
-- Groucho Marx.

(That last one has nothing to do with the use of a thumb tip; I just like it. Smile )

Or, as one one pig said to the other, "Time's fun when you're having flies."

Smile
John D. Clarkson, S.O.B. (Sacred Omphaloskeptic Brotherhood)
Cozener

"There is nothing more important to a magician than keeping secrets. Probably because so many of them are Gay."
—Peggy, from King of the Hill (Sleight of Hank)
myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
On the subject of TT's. Are there different versions for different effects? Are some TT's better then others? Quality-wise!!
I recently purchased a small lot of magic items and it came with a TT which is too small for me or so it seems ( It extends my THUMB length by about 3/4" because I can't fit it over my thumb very far ) I have seen some ads for different sizes but how does one actually know which is the right size.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
Chris
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Chris,

The TT , when worn, should not extend beyond the first knuckle of your thumb. It only needs to be on far enough that it won't fall off!

Some materials work better for certain effects than others. To some extent, material is also a matter of preference. The size you need is related to the size of the load.

If you don't have any, I'd recommend purchasing a booklet or video on the topic. Most are fairly inexpensive and will provide "tip" tips and tricks.
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I second the comment that the TT should fit over as litle of your thumb as is possible. That makes more room for whats inside.

You might want to take a look at Gary Darwins booklet "101 tricks with a thumb tip" It costs less than $5.00 and he shows the basic moves and explains some easy to do tricks.
Magic is fun!!!
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
Quote:
On 2003-01-02 01:18, myname1960 wrote:
On the subject of TT's. Are there different versions for different effects?

Yes, there are different versions. You can get tt's for every one of your fingers. they are great for producing a lot of different things, you just have to protect your angles that much more. Good luck!
myname1960
View Profile
Regular user
Chris from Ohio
111 Posts

Profile of myname1960
Thanks guys on your input on the TT . What had concerned me was that it wouldn't go on very far and was very tight to the point of discomfort. I think it's too small for me.
I will get some info on them and just see what I can do with one.
Thanks again,
Chris
Al Kazam the Magic Man
View Profile
Inner circle
Living in Perth Western Australia
1042 Posts

Profile of Al Kazam the Magic Man
Hello there Myname,
When I got my first tip, I couldn't get the darn thing to stay on my thumb at all either. I was really worried about it. I then discovered that they can be put into boiling water and you can change the shape of the opening. I forced a nail polish bottle into the end that opened it enough so that it fitted comfortably, and didn't change the overall appearance of the tip at all really. I then re-boiled it and then left the end of the bottle in there until it cooled and it then held the shape. Has worked for me for several years now.
Hope this may help you a little.
JoJo
Magic guy in Perth Australia
Just4Fun
View Profile
New user
Dallas
49 Posts

Profile of Just4Fun
I've bought several, and I have big hands, and have had to 'fit' most of them. I kept looking for better quality, soft-vs.hard, more 'realistic' looking, better color match.

Turns out my favorite was my first. Hard plastic, fits nice, not a very good match for skin color, not the best quality (I can see the seam down the side) and you know what? No one notices. It's light, holds a good sized load, and it's comfortable.

***, I could've saved enough to buy 2 more DVDs...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » TT (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL