The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Parade (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Am I the only person here who actually *likes* the Macy's Parade?

I seem to be the only one on the broadwayworld board who doesn't sneer at it.

How about this place? Anybody here watch the parade, and what did they think of it.

Oh, and happy Thanksgiving everybody!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I love a parade. Glad the wind didn't completely ground the balloons! The lip syncing this year was not as good as I've seen in the past, but what are you going to do.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I wish the parade was not used as a platform to pitch everyone's latest hit song, album, TV or movie project. Hall and Oates sounded better in the parade than they did on the TODAY show, probably the lip synch (everyone should take a lesson from Milli-Vanilli).

JMHO

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
All parade vocals are lip sync.

And I haven't missed a Macy's parade in my life time. Went to many of hem live as well.

Thought this years Santa was bogus, ugly and way over the top. Meh.

The cost of the Prade dictates it being a marketing platform...the way it's been for ever. Sadly these days the Talent to tout is missing with a bunch of squeaky punks filling in for real performers.

NBC coverage sucked though big time this year. BAD sound on the bands and terrible camera angles and poor direction.

Still a great Parade since I was a young'un.

See my Christmas page for another great Holiday Parade and a MUCH better Santa!

D.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Thanksgiving parade, Christmas parade ... every one of them is one giant commercial.

Parades used to be the locals, plus a few celebrities & politicos.

Now it's "Here's Ronald McDonald, and that hamburger is made of over 2 tons of flowers! And here comes Disney's Little Mermaid, and if you look past that high school marching band you can see the stars of CSI:Miami coming!"
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
My wife watches this one and the Rose Parade every year. She likes to sleep late, but for these, she gets up!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Any parade shown on television is going to be reduced to so and so making a pitch for their latest whatever. Didn't bother me.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Columbus day, St Patricks day, Gay pride, New Years Eve, and Thanksgiving day are not for me. We go to New York city several times a year. We go to Monday Night magic, we get discount tickets for broadway shows, we eat in Chinatown, little Italy. We get subway passes, and go to the Zoo, soho, central park, museums, shoping, the statue of liberty, and Coney Island. New Your City is like a Disneyland for adults, and contrary to popular belief native New Yorkers are both friendly and helpful. The big events are too much for me, and who wants to stand in line to get a table at a fine restaurant.
I LOVE NY
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-11-23 21:55, Doug Higley wrote:
All parade vocals are lip sync.

And I haven't missed a Macy's parade in my life time. Went to many of hem live as well.
</quote>

I went to <one> live Macy's parade. (Some point in the 80's, don't remember the exact year!) We got there early and just before the parade starts some clown tries to push through. We called an officer who was patrolling and he seemed to think the easiest route would be to get this guy where he wanted to be so he helped him cut in front of us. Then, after the cop had gone, the guy turned around to his friends and yelled; "I got a good spot, come on over here!"

Second thing that happened was that there'd been a temperature inversion that morning and it was actually <colder> during the parade than it had been when they filled the balloons, thus the helium in the balloons actually <shrank> in volume and the balloons were riding mighty low! Snoopy was actually dragging his feet on the ground and almost fell on us. We left. I'll take the television where I get to see the performances and can eat nachos while I watch!

<quote>
Thought this years Santa was bogus, ugly and way over the top. Meh.

I thought he was fine. I liked his energy and felt he looked more like a "realistic" Santa a la "Miracle on 34th Street."

I didn't see the link to your page to see "other" Santas.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Ah, New York ... what's left of it.

"There came a time—no one in old New York, no one, would have believed it — when you could not find a firecracker, let alone an opium den, in Chinatown; a time when you could not find sin in Times Square, save for the mortal sin of mediocrity; a time when you could not find an ashtray in a bar; a time when real life and real freedom, replaced by lip service to them, became the vice that New York, like the vast dying nothingness of America itself, was ashamed to mention."
— Nick Tosches

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
So, "real" freedom only exists if there's sin and squalor?

I lived in NYC back in the seventies, I think it's a better place now. Especially Times Square!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
First, those low flying baloons were odd. The one of Ronald MacDonald was really creepy so close to the ground.

Quote:
On 2006-11-30 17:43, rossmacrae wrote:
Ah, New York ... what's left of it.

"There came a time—no one in old New York, no one, would have believed it — when you could not find a firecracker, let alone an opium den, in Chinatown; ...

wow that bit about the opium den is racist.

The it occurs that if the Disney characters were allowed to work the streets things might be better than they were in the Times Square to the west side of the 42nd street area. Smile

And yes, there is much lost with those cheap theaters and replaced by a traffic problem streching from 34th street to 50th street and bounded on the west side by a highway that like our dignity, did not make it into the 1990s.

Oh look it's the GAP float.

Just my humble opinion this morning.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Well, on a positive note (yes, I do occasionally post something positive!) I'm a lot fonder of events a little more accessible in size.

Here in the Northern Virginia area we have the annual first-Sunday-in-December "Scottish Christmas Walk" with bagpipe bands from near and far, local politicos, and such delightful contingents as "people with dogs in tartan doggie-jackets" and "anybody who is wearing anything that looks Scottish and some people who aren't". No floats at all. One year someone dragged my mother-in-law off the curb and into the parade because her skirt was, just by chance, authentic Clan Black tartan. The best part is that after the parade you can drop into any restaurant and find it full of happy people with beers and at least two or three pipers.

You know - "people-sized."

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 07:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
First, those low flying baloons were odd. The one of Ronald MacDonald was really creepy so close to the ground.

Oh, you weren't there the year there was a temperature inversion and the helium in the balloons actually <shrank> rather than expand as it's expected to do!

(This of course, would be the only year I ever tried to attend the parade *live*)

The one that sticks in my mind was Snoopy. His head and body were off the ground but his feet were dragging, literally! As they reached my corner, the balloon swayed through inertia and loomed over with the nose maybe 10 or 15 feet off the ground! (Right over <me> and my family!)

I'll stick with the televised production from now on!

The "commerciallization" doesn't bother me. I mean the whole thing is a big commercial for Macy*s anyway! And something like that doesn't get put together without a lot of commercial money tying it together!

Smaller venues can be more fun. But even the local police parade in Newport, RI has the Budweiser wagon and various local businesses supporting floats or at least cars with their names on them.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » The Parade (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL