The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How many answer the phone when it rings? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Chris you have a sure fire method for them thinking you are very busy.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
I may be the only business person on the planet without a cell phone, I hate them.

That said, if either of my lines ring and I’m there I pick it up always, and on the second ring if possible, hopefully they don’t think I’m out doing shows 24/7!!!

I am often around during business hours, because business hours are usually the opposite of show hours, and because my rates are fairly significant I don’t need to do 300 shows a year to make a living.

If I am not around, I return the call (or email often these days) as fast as I possibly can, usually between two and four hours….. and if it’s four hours often the gig is not going to go to me, but the early-bird.

The client is always FIRST, the customer is always RIGHT, and personalized Customer CARE is what I sell, not “I’m too busy to talk to you”.

I hope a lot of magicians take the advice of not picking up the phone, it means I’ll have their show booked before they can dial back the potential client.

Magically,
Walt
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3171 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Walt, I’m so glad you said that, I thought I was the only one that didn’t have a cell phone. You made my day, thanks. Smile

I think I’ve always viewed them as personal phones and not business.

But hey, if I had one, I would be answering it every time it rings. Smile

Tom
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
My wife, and daughter are the only ones that have my cell phone number, so I had better answer it on the first ring.
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Technically I have 2 cell phones. One here in Mexico one in Branson.

about 10 people have the number. Only 3 people have both.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
I never answer my Phone. And when people ask why? I tell them ! When they start paying the Phone bill Than I will answer all thare calls. I will be a slave to no one. If you don't like it than don't call back ...
On 2006-11-28 20:39, todd75 wrote:
I was just listening to a Eric Paul lecture where he says that he NEVER EVER answers the phone. Interesting! I like his thinking behind it. If you are soooo busy, then why are you answering your phone?

Many, many years ago, before the big cellphone era hit, I went to a local paging company and bought a beeper. I had voice mail put on it, and every time someone left a message, it paged me. I had to dial in to get the message and call them back. Of course, that was way before I went full-time. It worked great, but it makes me wonder how many calls I lost with people who hung up. I think that some people, no matter who they are, just simply will not leave a message under any circumstances.

So...how many of you answer the phone every time it rings? I will admit that I do most of the time, but I usually will let it ring 3 times before picking it up. Is it just me, or have others noticed that when a person calls and does not leave a message, if you have caller ID and you call them back, they are 9 times out of 10 not a serious call anyway?

B-day party moms will usually hang up unless they are serious. Schools will almost always leave a message. What are your experiences?
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For years I owned a professional entertainment personal management and booking agency. Just so you'll know that I was not restricted to recording artists and nightclub acts, my company also handled all the live entertainment for 542 shopping centers and malls in the USA (making us the nation's largest).

While the details of working with talent buyers, agents and booking contracts I reserve for lecture material, I do understand why misuse of telephones causes so many problems for entertainers wanting to become professionals. Professionals use a multi-line system. And there is a system indeed.

Remember, everytime a phone ring does or does not get answered, a message is sent!

As a booking agent, an unanswered phone simply meant I had called the wrong act. The show contract went to someone else within the hour as a rule. Success was measured in dollars and shows contracted. I never found an act that was more important than getting a talent buyer contracted as easily as I could make it for them. Talent buyers are not "ego involved" about which act. To them, it's like getting the oil changed in the car. NEXT!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
itshim
View Profile
Elite user
Milton Keynes
417 Posts

Profile of itshim
And that comment by Bob is why I try to always answer the phone. I don't know if the next call is a kids party for $150 or 4 weeks in Lapland for $10,000. I do know that the big agents have a list of people very like me and will go with the first one who fits job spec. They want to get back to their clients as quickly as possible. I am just a possible means to an end.

Nigel
I knew a man who kept saying "pliers, pincers, scissors". He was speaking in tongs.

www.itshim.co.uk
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 12:17, Bob Sanders wrote:

For years I owned a professional entertainment personal management and booking agency. Just so you'll know that I was not restricted to recording artists and nightclub acts, my company also handled all the live entertainment for 542 shopping centers and malls in the USA (making us the nation's largest).

While the details of working with talent buyers, agents and booking contracts I reserve for lecture material, I do understand why misuse of telephones causes so many problems for entertainers wanting to become professionals. Professionals use a multi-line system. And there is a system indeed.

Remember, everytime a phone ring does or does not get answered, a message is sent!

As a booking agent, an unanswered phone simply meant I had called the wrong act. The show contract went to someone else within the hour as a rule. Success was measured in dollars and shows contracted. I never found an act that was more important than getting a talent buyer contracted as easily as I could make it for them. Talent buyers are not "ego involved" about which act. To them, it's like getting the oil changed in the car. NEXT!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

THIS pretty much says it all. The less the buyer has to work or worry, the happier they are. That is not an insult, it is an absolute fact.

Bob thank you for putting it in such a concice form.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
Doug Arden
View Profile
Special user
886 Posts

Profile of Doug Arden
I answer the phone whenever I can. If for some reason I can't, I have voicemail. This works very well for me.

My clients are primarily corporate and they always leave a message for me. I call them back as quickly as I can, usually within the hour. You snooze, you lose.

I have been complimented many times about how quickly I got back to the person who left the message. They almost always booked a show. In my mind, that's not a bad thing.

Doug
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
My coporate clients all understand I'm busy and will get back to them ASAP, just as Doug stated above. The only calls I miss are for birthday parties and, since I don't do them, I don't care. I also have caller ID; so I can see if I want to pick up the phone or not. If I'm in and the Caller ID indicates a corporate number, I'll pick up. Otherwise, I don't.
Coram Deo
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
This topic really doesn't deserve three pages. There are far more important issues relating the business of magic.

The more you answer your phone the more gigs you'll get but the less private time you'll get.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 23:57, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
This topic really doesn't deserve three pages. There are far more important issues relating the business of magic.

The more you answer your phone the more gigs you'll get but the less private time you'll get.

We certainly don't agree on this one. The better professional talent buyers are interested in solutions, not games. Giving more attention to magic than customers is the fast route to making performing magic a hobby rather than a profession.

In my forty-eight years in the professional entertainment industry, I can assure you that more time and money has been invested in the customers than in props, magic practice and other production costs. Looking back, my estimate is that 70% of productive effort in the business of magic is about customers. Only about 30% really has anything to do with the other areas of the business of magic. Frankly, the most replaceable part is the magician. Professional talent buyers will do it before the coffee gets cool enough to drink.

Professional entertainers work (gigs) for paid audiences. Hobbyists (privately) entertain themselves. There is a difference! It is a choice. Focus is majoring in the majors and minoring in the minors.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1634 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
SIMPLE.....If you don't pick up your phone, they will just turn around and call the next guy. Pick up your darn phone. Smile
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Someone please listen to Bob. He knows of what he speaks. If he is generous enough to post and lend his time, it is worth reading!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
All I can say is Bob is 100% correct in what he stated. I absolutely agree. Nicely stated.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Yes - Bob is correct. Answer the phone when it rings if you want to book gigs.

It's not complicated and doesn't require three pages of posts of people discussing there own personal way of answering the phone. It's just plain silly.

Imagine if the three pages was instead full of people discussing what they say or what they asked a potential client. Or if we discussed dealing with the difficult phone conversations.
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Nicholas: Thank you. This is exactly where I think we should try and steer this thread if we can. Let us learn from each other and tackle some of the problems people face when answering the phone and talking with prospects and or clients. THIS is information that can come in handy and that we can share and learn from each other. This is the type of stuff that can grow our magic and ourselves.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Nick it is funny.

How many threads on the Café' are absolutly USELESS. So what? If others want to read and write them then stop reading and contributing.

Do you want me to list the # of threads here that are unproductive? Come on. Heck has EVERY thread and post you have done really been necessary? If someone has the question, and by the way the "counterpoint" here was made by a relativly well known person, then others are allowed to answer it. Even if you don't like it.

How and when were you elected "necessary police"? I missed the promotion. Everyone was a beginner at some point. IF it takes 3 pages to help one person, then to me at least, it is worth it in spades.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6437 Posts

Profile of NJJ
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » How many answer the phone when it rings? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL