The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls Info Wanted (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Somehow, Morrissey has managed to keep up with the Asian imports. They have done some of this by using slightly thinner copper. However, I think they have come to a stopping point.

There are interesting things in the works, though.

BTW, the cup market is such now that good cups are maintaining their value if not increasing in value.

If you have any of the Sherwood silver cups, including their engraved series, you can sell those for basically what you paid for them. Some have actually increased in value, such as the smooth silver cups. There are only 10 sets of those.

But they are also good workers.

Some of Jake's cups are already worth more than they were when they were made.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
walid ahumada
View Profile
Special user
sinaloa, mexico
892 Posts

Profile of walid ahumada
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 00:47, Mad Jake wrote:
ROTFLOLSTC

I only used Duh because I have flexed the language filter on the board so hard that I think I have covered just about every word you can't say on the Café`. Kudos to Steve for keeping up with me Smile

Everyone knows enough about MM to know they shouldn't refer them. That would be like you visiting the US and me sending you into the Desire Housing Project in New Orleans after dark, it's just not right. We try to keep people informed, but alas I've seen you win MM cups on ebay Walid, so you're supporting their business and the practices. Just to let you know, the cups you have from MM are about 58% Copper and 42% Alloy scrap. This is one reason they will flex out of round easily.

thanks for the lesson again, I thought the copper was softer than alloy scrap, but you are the expert so I belive you
“Magic becomes art when it has nothing to hide.” BEN OKRI quote
Mad Jake
View Profile
Inner circle
All the voices in my head helped me make
2202 Posts

Profile of Mad Jake
Mr Muggle, working on it, working on it Smile we've backed off of cups with the exception of some client projects and a beginners line of cups in several styles and metal.
Licensed Steve Dusheck Manufacturer and distributor visit www.airshipmagic.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 13:12, walid ahumada wrote:
thanks for the lesson again, I thought the copper was softer than alloy scrap, but you are the expert so I belive you

The hardness of a copper alloy depends on a couple of factors. One of them is whether it has been work hardened. This happens during the spinning process. It can also happen to some degree during the part of the process where it is made into sheet copper.

The other factor has to do with the exact components of the additional metals. Some bronzes are very hard and stiff, but these are done by intent, not accident.

The worst part of the accidental alloys is that sometimes they are very brittle. Then you have real problems.

Brass, which is also a copper alloy, has a tendency to become even harder when worked. So it must be annealed much more carefully. This is why a lot of the brass PF candy dishes have split rims.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mr. Muggle
View Profile
Special user
999 Posts

Profile of Mr. Muggle
Quote:
On 2006-12-06 09:31, MagiUlysses wrote:
[...] The Morrisey's are still in good shape and are perfect for a young magi who doesn't always stick to, well, anything, the fortunes of being 14, I suppose. But all this is besides the point. Joe Zeman aka
The Mage Ulysses

I agree with your comments but really don't care for the Morrissey cups even though they are a good starter cup. I'm still searching for a better starter cup and don't want to purchase any MM Paul Faux cups. (The young magician's I'm buying for like my PF cups) Smile

Quote:
On 2006-12-06 13:50, Mad Jake wrote:
Mr Muggle, working on it, working on it Smile we've backed off of cups with the exception of some client projects and a beginners line of cups in several styles and metal.

I'm following your posts Jake...just thought I'd throw out a comment or two in support of a potential project.
"Now you're looking for the secret... but you won't find it because you're not really looking. You don't really want to know the secret... You want to be fooled." - The Prestige (2006)
bkp007
View Profile
New user
Longview, Texas
63 Posts

Profile of bkp007
I am fairly new to the C & B scene but I've read many of the posts and learned alot. In my opinion I would rather have a set that a) looks good to me and b) functions well.

To me chop cup is very important, almost essential, since you can still use a combo set as normal cups

Covering part a first: The paul fox, johnsons, and penguin/magic makers look the "coolest to me" as far as design. Now I know that MM is terrible and Penguin magic is evil but for a cheaper price to get a cup that looks like what I want is enticing.

Now, dealing with part b: I would have already bought a set of copper Bazar de Magia for way less than the previously mentioned cups (excluding MM) but the design of the chop cup doesn't allow me to do a specific move that I think looks very convincing for penetrations (either the rib is too high or the gimmick is not strong enough) when the chop cup is placed on top of a cup with the "hot" ball on it, making the "hot" ball disappear.

(wow, that sounds kinda stupid, but maybe you all understand what I mean)

With that being said bazar is out for me, I bought uday until I can afford johnson's.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Cups & Balls Info Wanted (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL