The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Chicago & Oak Lawn: Open Heart Magic seeks two candidates for magic training & hospital service (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Folks,
If you're interested in close-up magic and sleight of hand and would like to take it to the next level by being able to perform as a volunteer on a regular basis and help kids and teens in hospitals, then please read on.

We're adding one to two volunteers to the hospital where Open Heart Magic started in Chicago, where I personally volunteer. This is the location where we work on new routines and modify what's out there to make it more visual, engaging and hopefully, magical.

Additionally, because of a larger than expected patient census in Oak Lawn, Illinois, we're adding one to two volunteers to the program there as well.

Chicago info:
http://www.volunteermatch.org/results/op......d=195762

Oak Lawn info:
http://www.volunteermatch.org/results/op......d=295347

You can be a pro, a long time study of magic, someone who is doing street magic, or just someone who has always been interested in performing. You can have experience or have no experience at all – either way, you’ll find your level and be able to work on magic and get better. No matter where you start, you'll go through our intense training in sleight of hand, you'll learn our interactive routines, learn performance skills through actual performances every training session, and also how to work in a hospital, how to engage children and teens and adapt the magic for those who have physical or other restrictions based on their medical situation. Because of this investment in training, introductory and on-going, you’ll need to commit to a year of service with visits approximately twice a month.

No matter who you are, the chance to do magic on a more regular basis will make your performance better. If you have the heart, character and sense of humor to want to do this for kids, the experience of seeing a drastic change in patient's mood, many times helping a patient go from isolation to engaged laughter, because of the magic you've created with the patient, is tremendsouly rewarding and extremely beneficial to the patients and families. So your work will have a strong impact.

We have an amazing group of volunteers, men and women, and we'll crank on close-up collectively and come together to do larger hospital gigs and celebrate the spirit of what we're all doing at Goose Island or Hopleaf or wherever. We grow very slowly as we're building community support but also to ensure our folks are the best prepared to perform and engage through the use of magic. We experience very low turn-over amongst our volunteer magicians. You’ll be equipped with solid close-up routines for kids, teens and adults, hospital magician clothing, supplies, introductory and on-going training.

Both programs are sponsored meaning that not only will you create magic but you'll also have the supplies to be able teach a quick trick and provide one of the Secret Lessons that we've created. Think learning magic in comic book format with tricks that are easily yet visually amazing for the patient.

To give you an idea of the caliber of the magic taught, we get contacted regularly by those who see us at special events where we’ll table hop for a selected charity or hospital festival. Because of our focus on interaction and personal engagement (which any good table hopper will tell you is what magic is about), we’ve been offered long standing gigs because guests remember that our magicians are focused on people having a good time, on having a memorable engagement. Know that these magicians are brand new – many have NO experience in magic; they've passed our training and they have a sense of humor and the ability to ham it up and perform. This is not child party magic – it’s a mixture of visual street magic and classic magic plots and routines.

Please PM me or shoot me an email at mwalton@openheartmagic.com if you’re interested. Happy Holidays! Thanks for looking.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Hey that's a great thing that you do! If I lived anywhere within an hour or two of Chicago I would volunteer in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I am out in Oneonta, New York during the academic year, and in Buffalo during Winters and Summers. I already spend nearly every weekend travelling up to 5 hours from wherever I am to perform gigs throughout Central New York. Hopefully you find some people that live closer that are willing to help! Best of luck with everything.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Thanks for the kind words Brian.
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Quick clarification point to answer some emails I've received:

This is NOT child party magic. We utilize and perform classic close-up and sleight of hand.

There is NO clowning nor balloon twisting involved.

Please PM me if you have questions. Thanks all!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The tricks are on me! » » Chicago & Oak Lawn: Open Heart Magic seeks two candidates for magic training & hospital service (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL