The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Coin Matrix (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Shoot takes his one hand matrix even a step further when he does double one handed matrixes. Two close up pads each with four coins and 2 cards. One hand is on one pad, the other hand on the other pad. One pad's coins all assemble under one corner, the other pad's coins start to assemble but then backfire at the end.

Its pretty crazy.

If you have a high speed connection you can view him doing this HERE. This is a very large file size.
Click to visit:
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
An astute observation, Mr. Baker, and one which Mr. Schneider might well endorse. He has always insisted that the effect is that the coins pass, (without being touched) and THEN the cards are lifted. This is certainly consistent with a "no touch" premise.

But if we make this distinction, what will we call routines in which there are four cards and four covers, but the performer does touch the coins? (i.e. Shigeo Takagi's Matrix, my "Inverted Matrix" and indeed, most reverse matrixes)

And does that make Roth's "Chink-a-Chink" actually a "matrix" since the illusion (and it is a strong one) is that the performer never actually touches the coins? But the "Chink-a-Chink" with anything but coins would still be an assembly? Smile

And what do we make of the versions (that may predate Yank Hoe) involving two hats and four corks, or cigarettes, that either vanish in the hands or penetrate up through the table?

No matter the trouble it causes, I think it is still an enlightening observation, and one I shall enjoy playing with.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Thanks for that link Dan. I have been wanting to see him perform. All I can say is what he did looked very very very good, as many of you have already said. If I ever get to see him perform in person that will be even better.
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
http://www.magic-notes.com/th
sifo
View Profile
New user
brazil
36 Posts

Profile of sifo
Twenty by Gaston Quieto
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Also, I was curious about the last coin vanish he did. It made me take a double take. Do you guys know what vanish that is?

Thanks,
Ben
Check out my new effect "As Good As It Gets" a gimmickles pencil or pen through bill effect. It closely mimmicks the slow motion phase of "Misled." About "As Good AS It Gets" for no gimmicks and everything being borrowed.
Dan Watkins
View Profile
Inner circle
PA
3028 Posts

Profile of Dan Watkins
Ben I assume you are talking about the concealment Shoot used in that Matrix routine? It is an underutilized concealment that is attributed to both Robert Fitch and Mike Gallo.

HERE is a video clip of Apollo Robbins using the concealment as well. This video is a bit slower and closer so you can get a better look at his hands.

As to where the palm is taught, the only place I have seen it thus far in print is in Apollo's lecture notes - I have reviewed these notes on my website.

I don't think Bob Fitch has it in print, and Mike Gallo was supposed to have it in print in his book that has been in the works for quite some time now from Paul Cummins. Garrett Thomas teaches the concealment on his new video "Any Questions", but unfortunately does not provide any credits for the move.
Click to visit:
Ben721
View Profile
Veteran user
314 Posts

Profile of Ben721
Thanks Dan very imformitive. I actually have Any Questions and I can't believe that I didn't guess it.
Thanks
DaveM
View Profile
Special user
Germany
788 Posts

Profile of DaveM
Thanks Dan for the link to Shoot's routine. I saw him at the close-up competition in London in November and he absolutely blew everyone away. I just HAD to buy his lecture notes and video to figure out that concealment method. I'm standing five feet from him most of the time and I didn't catch anything out of the ordinary.

What I really appreciated about Shoot is that through-out the weekend he was performing in the vendors' parlor, selling his notes and videos. His routine was SOOOO tight that he would repeat the routines over and over and consistently kill the crowd. Until I saw him I hated coin work. Now I can't leave his study material alone.
Masilon
View Profile
New user
Milan-Italy
53 Posts

Profile of Masilon
I think the underutilized concealment used by Shoot and Apollo in their videos is beautiful and I'd like to learn it. What you think about it ? Do you use it?

Thanks,
Luca
Axman
View Profile
Elite user
402 Posts

Profile of Axman
I'd also check out John Kennedys Impossible matrix. I think its an absolute Killer.
have a look and see what you think...
Click Here!
Masilon
View Profile
New user
Milan-Italy
53 Posts

Profile of Masilon
Alan, does Paul Harris teach the sleight in his videos ?
shanla
View Profile
Loyal user
Japan, Tokyo
285 Posts

Profile of shanla
I think no one has mentioned Mark Lefler's "Reversi". I believe it is original of reverse coin assemblies that use two cards and four coins. It is described in "Collected Almanac".
Magicusa
View Profile
Elite user
478 Posts

Profile of Magicusa
Paul Harris is the MAN!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » The Coin Matrix (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL