The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need help (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mark334
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mark334
Hey I'm new to magic and was just seeing what people think I should start with ie slights and things like that?. I just never seem to know the best place to get started has there is so much to learn and I'm not the brightess of people. cheers for any help
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Fundamentals before any tricks. I mean you can learn tricks, but fundamentals, such as cuts, palms, passes, DLs, fans will make your effects professional looking instead of the "hey look what I did over the weekend" type of magic you see on youtube. A book that will be recommended over and over will be Royal Road to Card Magic, a series of books that are invaluable, if not a bit pricey. I got started on my fundamentals with books I got from my library, and bought effects from there. For DVDs, I would choose Michael Ammar's Easy to Master Card Magic. That is, if you are into card magic.

Oh, and always remember to practice patter before performing. Impromptu is good, but a script allows you to improvise better, and give a better handling of the "flow" of the effect.

If you're really into performing right away, I would learn some self-workers or gimmicked effects so you can work on presentation, and how you act to an audience without worrying if you will mess up that difficult move you just picked up. Remember, it's not below yourself to perform self-workers. Even professionals, with years of experience on their belts, sometimes rely on them to produce spectacular effects.

Enjoy.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
Aha Mark I see you found the beginner's section already! In that case disregard half of my post over in the "Our New Arrivals" forum.

Great advice ToasterofDoom. Starting with self-working or gimmicked effects is a good way to build confidence and become comfortable performing at the start. Pick up some books such as Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and The Royal Road to Card Magic. If you're interested I have a list on my website of suggested materials for the beginning magician. You can find the page by clicking "Magicians Click Here" at the bottom of the main page of my website.

Always remember to practice, practice, practice! You must be prepared to spend a great deal of time on your own or in front of a mirror learning the ins and outs of every move and routine, in order to sell the magic to an audience.

So pick up some books, start basic, practice and rehearse, and then when you feel confident enough start performing for friends and family to build some experience.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mark's complete course in magic is a great start, as Royal Road, and Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, all above recommended are good, best is to try to find a local magic club and get involved in it, there you will have access to magicians who can show you moves you are having trouble with, and give you good constructive criticism on your technique. Check the websites of the International Brotherhood of Magicians and the Society of American Magicians for area rings or assemblies.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Mark,

please also use the search engine. There is a ton full of advice for beginners in the archive . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2006-12-08 18:56, ToasterofDoom wrote:

If you're really into performing right away, I would learn some self-workers or gimmicked effects so you can work on presentation, and how you act to an audience without worrying if you will mess up that difficult move you just picked up. Remember, it's not below yourself to perform self-workers. Even professionals, with years of experience on their belts, sometimes rely on them to produce spectacular effects.

Enjoy.

That may be the best advice anyone will ever give you. By using gimmicks or self-workers you can concentrate on the PRESENTATION and not the moves. After getting great reactions from these types of effects you can decide what kind of magic you want to start focusing on. Good luck!
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
Brian Caswell
View Profile
New user
36 Posts

Profile of Brian Caswell
I often rehearse what I am going to say to an audience before doing anything else in the rehearsal room. (Assuming you're not working silent!)

I consider how I can make it crytal clear to the audience what the effect is. How can I make this interesting, how can I sell it to the audience?

When I pick up the props and rehearse the routine, naturally the timing of the physical actions means I have to modify the patter here and there, but personally I find what you say has a profound effect on what an audience perceives.

Brian Caswell http://www.unearthlymagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Need help (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL