The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Pendragons - Two Presentations - Same Illusion (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
I found this to be very interesting. Same Performers, Same Props, Same Effect - DIFFERENT Presentation. I for one love the Clearly Impossible Version but rather dislike the slow "dancy" version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3kBErEq1......;search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j95hjcHFD......;search=

Chris.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Loved the illusion but the music made the second version difficult to appreciate. I always thought till now that a live orchestra would be a huge plus.
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 11:49, plasticdestiny wrote:
Loved the illusion but the music made the second version difficult to appreciate. I always thought till now that a live orchestra would be a huge plus.

I totally agree about the music.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4571 Posts

Profile of Payne
The second clip looks to be a "Pops" concert of some sort so he may have not had too much choice in the selection of the music. I know that several of his television appearances has different music than he originally performed with applied to them.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
MCM
View Profile
Elite user
Minnesota
456 Posts

Profile of MCM
The second clip was from a "halloween" episode of the Boston Pops some years ago on PBS.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 14:59, usg353d wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 11:49, plasticdestiny wrote:

I totally agree about the music.

Me too. The funny thing is that orchestras wonder why they've been largely replaced with recorded music. A CD doesn't cop an attitude about playing something that isn't a "classic". I've heard from rock bands that play with orchestras. Some orchestras are full of jerks, who have pretentious notions of what art is.

I remember my last experience of working with a so-called musician. She said that my sheet music was unplayable. That's funny, I heard it played just fine, before I bought the sheet music. I hate working with musicians, because most don't have the skill to play what I want to use in my act.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A couple things strike me.

First off is the fitness level of both of the Pendragons. Absolutely astounding.

Second of all did anyone but me wonder why she had on shoes in the first place if he is just going to take them off?

Stuff like that bothers the heck out of me. I have seen shows where assistants get their shoes taken off 6 times!
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
There's so much beautiful classical music which would have suited that act, but that was a cheesey piece. It's a shame such talented performers got lumbered with it. I would agree with Payne on their not having a choice. Seen it happen frequently where something used in live performance cannot be licenced for broadcast.

Still, we all like the illusion - they are phenomenal performers.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Quote:
On 2006-12-14 11:54, Dannydoyle wrote:
Second of all did anyone but me wonder why she had on shoes in the first place if he is just going to take them off?

Stuff like that bothers the heck out of me. I have seen shows where assistants get their shoes taken off 6 times!

I think that's just done for the guys who are into feet. ROTFLMAO!!!! Doesn't do a thing for me, but it turns some guys' cranks.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
And I can never understand why they chop someone in half and then put them back together - makes the chopping/sawing/cleaving pointless.

Chop them in half - and leave them in half - and if you are into feet - just take that half home. (Not saying another word - I know where this will go - right to the heart of the matter, for want of another word.)
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have always wondered about this aspect of magic. The obvious mutiliation of the assistants. Seems weird alltogether.

Shove them in boxes, ram spikes through them, saw them in half, burn them and so on. It really makes one wonder.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
Back to the topic, I like the second one, so much more.

I have recently seen clearly impossible live and it was performed to the dc water leveitation music by peter gabriel.
-Matt
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
THe first was very bugs bunny which is probably why I liked it.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I liked the first one the best. To me it appeared more dramatic and graceful.
jwebyra
View Profile
Regular user
New Jersey
140 Posts

Profile of jwebyra
If I am not mistaken the second clip is from a 1996 P.B.S. Halloween special with the Cincinnati Pops. This was the second of 3 illusions they performed. First was the production of Mrs. Pendragon then the cutting in half of Mrs. Pendragon and then they did their incredible Metamorphosis.

Ron
Irish_matt
View Profile
Loyal user
St.Louis, MO
204 Posts

Profile of Irish_matt
Yeah, I believe it was from the Cincinnati Pops show. The other video was from a British tv show called the Magic Comedy Strip from I believe 1992 that featured David Williamson, Rudy Coby, Jeff Hobson and the Pendragons and ran for about 6-8 episodes. I may be wrong but that might have been the first tv broadcast of the clear sawing by the Pendragons.

Matt
Illucifer
View Profile
Inner circle
1403 Posts

Profile of Illucifer
I gotta say, I love the one with the Orchestra.
The other one with the dramatic music is the same kind of thing everyone does.
It's all in the reflexes.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Pendragons - Two Presentations - Same Illusion (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL