The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Know What the Word "Schadenfreude" Means? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
Schadenfreude: (noun) Enjoyment obtained from the trouble of others.

The woman in this video on YouTube is a pretty good example of this word in action! Click here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzS-OdWVpHo

I hate to admit it, but I felt schadenfreude, too, while watching this! Smile

What about you?
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
I'm normally fairly aggressive with my humor, but I have to say I don't like that one. The very first time I saw it (and the darned thing keeps popping up) it was clear that the girl is about to fall out of the safety restraints (maybe she didn't heed her mom's "keep your feet on the rail") and genuinely fears for her life, possibly with good reason. It was just a little too much "misfortune" to take dark glee in, for me.
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Not funny at all.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Sorry,

I took no humor from that at all. I felt really bad for the kid, who was in a serious, potentially life threatening situation. I wanted to slap the woman for laughing so hard. I wonder how hard she would have laughed if the kid had been catapulted from the car?
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Schadenfreude would be if that sick laughing person got up and got the crap whacked out of her....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Man, that lady was the devil! I could never find anything funny about another person's genuine pain or terror. It looked like the poor kid was being CHOKED by the safety straps. Definitely not funny.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
In defense of the (probably) mother, she, like many of us, assumed that the ride had adequate safety provisions, and she never once looked at the kid ... I'm certain she thought the kid's screams were the usual "thrill ride screams".

I remember going on "The Mind Eraser" coaster at the local 6 flags - and I distinctly recall that throughout the ride I was shouting "OMIGOD LET ME OFF PLEASE MAKE IT STOP FERTHELUVAGOD..." - not that much different.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have a better word for taking pleasure in the discomfort of others.

Can't say it here though.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
She keeps calling the laughing woman "Janice." Unless it's some "new age" family, I don't think that's her mother.

When the ride ended, I would have reached over and <slapped> her hard! And <never> gotten on another ride that person recommended!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Nobody has yet mentioned ... are the rides at this asmusement park all this deadly?

ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
"Potentially" deadly, since no one died. And in fact "Janice" didn't seem to be having any problems with <her> safety harness at all. I don't know why the other girl was sliding out like that!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
388 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I assumed the kid who was having difficulty with the safety harness was a boy and not a girl. Someone on YouTube made the comment that the kid was never in danger of falling out due to the arrangement of the safety harness' straps.

Perhaps he had problems with his harness becauses he failed to follow Janice's directions about keeping his head back and his feet on the rail before the ride started.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
I'm proud of my disgust thanks.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
No comment.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Do You Know What the Word "Schadenfreude" Means? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL