The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The injog (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

mark334
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mark334
Hey I'm working my way through the royal road to card magic,Iv just found my way to the injog and I'm having some problems with this I seem to struggle to get my little finger under the joged card. And also getting the injog its self so any tip's or advice would be great.
Jonathan P.
View Profile
Inner circle
Belgium
1484 Posts

Profile of Jonathan P.
Use your thumb to lift the jogged card while squaring and keep the separation with the pinky.
I don't have the Royal Road at hand, but I guess, if it talks about the injog; that it teaches some ways to get into it, no? If yes, which one causes problem to you?
Jonathan.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think you place your pinky under the injog card and then your right hand would go over and lift up all the cards above your pinky. So your pinky finger serves a function to enable you to pick up the cards from where ever you set your pinky to be.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
mark334
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mark334
It says, In the course of the shuffle ,when the card is to be jogged,move the right hand towards the body , draw off one card with the left thumb then move the hand back to its former position and continue the shuffle in the usual way. the card thurs jogged should rest on the little finger tip, I'm just struggling with this.
xformer7
View Profile
Veteran user
Central NJ
309 Posts

Profile of xformer7
Your left pinky does not "get under" the injogged card. It is already in position to start with. Your left hand grip should have the pinky behind the pack during the shuffle, and it then feels the injogged card when it is placed.

I think your trouble rests with your normal grip.

Hope that helps.
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Xformer is correct. Look at the description of how Royal Road recommends holding the deck in the left hand before the shuffle begins. The pinky helps keep the left hand packet square as cards are peeled on to it.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
The one trick that I've learned was to keep the bottom stack squared up, and the top "shuffled" portions just a bit messy. That allows a clear distinction of the two halves, and also hides the injog really well. The method to that is, as mentioned, using your pinky and thumb to hold the cards squared up.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
You might want to read this as there is some excellent advice given here by scorch...
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......;forum=2

Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
381 Posts

Profile of atucci
Mark - KRaZy4KaRdz has provided you with a wonderful link on the detail one could get into on a single sleight.

Don't get confused or intimidated by the variety of opinions. Scorch's thinking is sound and with all due respect to Mr. Ortiz, I have heard many do not enjoy his style of presentation. That being said, Mr. Ortiz' advice is also sound.

Since I've just returned to magic and am concentrating on cards, I'm using the Card College series as my primary textbooks but supplement them with other classics like Royal Road to Card Magic, Expert Card Technique, some of the Vernon/Ganson books, Harry Lorayne, etc.

KRaZy4KaRdz has advised me on several occasions to use any book as a guide, but ultimately I need to find the technique which works best for me.

In my own online documentation of my return to card magic (The Beginners Diary @ http://www.cc-magic.co.uk) I am posting today on how getting the pinky break to work consistently for me took over a month. I couldn't believe how a 'simple' utility sleight took me so long to learn but once I accepted there would be some moves that would feel and look natural almost immediately and some that will take forever, I was at peace every time I practiced.

Hope this helps and good luck

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Tony, sometimes the simple things in life are the biggest stumbling blocks. Glad to hear you are progressing in your re-entry in card magic. That same block is just another piece to be used in your reconstuction. Without a strong foundation the building will not be solid and longlasting. The break is a difficult sleight to do deceptively and practice is necesasry to make it look natural. Giobbi gives excellent advice in C.C. vol I and I know you have been digesting this as we speak. Keep up the good work and the rewards will be reaped when the time has come. Time is the one commodity that cannot be retrieved, so make the best of your time. Have a great Christmas Holiday and stay in touch my friend.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
mark334
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of mark334
Cheers for the great advice
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The injog (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL