The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Where to go in Vegas... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Not sure which group to post this question in but I am curious to find out from the members here what would be the best places to go while in Vegas? My wife and I are going Jan. 11th - the 14th. What magic shows, shops, and events should I check out while I am there?
Darren Kidby
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
291 Posts

Profile of Darren Kidby
A must is Mac Kings show at Harrahs, great show.

Darren...
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
The shows aside, If you are there over a Wednesday, try a place called Boomers. I believe that's where the magicians hang out or get together during the week.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
I have heard that about Mac Kings show. It is also reasonable priced from what I hear. Any good magic shops?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Denny's of Denny & Lee's in Maryland opened up a shop in Vegas also.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Yup, Denny's and Lee's is on Industrial just off Tropicanna, go south on Industrial after crossing the interstate on Tropicanna it is in a small strip center just around the corner there on the right, watch carefully for it or you will miss the turn. Other magic shops are pretty blase. The two one at the Riveria and the other at the Stratosphere have a bit more general stuff, more than the houdini shops at the Venetian, and NYNY do. All of them tend to sell the pitch stuff more heavily. Mac King is a definite must, go to the following website to get some cheap cupons for cheaper tickets : http://www.billhere.com, as well as ome cupons that can save you a load in LV.
Too bad ur going in January, a month later is the World Magic Seminar, a pretty good sized convention, and full of top magic talent.
Lance's show is good (Monte Carlo), Amazing Jonathan is a must see as well (Saharah), Rick Thomas (Orleans), Penn and Teller (Rio), avoid Dirk Arthur at the Trop, not worth the money or time. Lance also has a magic shop at the Monte Carlo, mostly beginner and pitch stuff there.
A number of magi live there such as Jeff McBride and Johnny Thompson. Never know where you might run into them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Photius,

Thanks for the thorough reply. You have given me a lot to look into. I was hoping I might make it there when they would be a convention, but alas, it is not meant to be.

Thanks again
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Allan:

If you're planning on going to Denny and Lee's, the street they're on has been renamed "Dean Martin" blvd. It's not a bad walk from Excalibur - about 15 minutes.

I was a little bit shocked when I made my first visit to the shop this summer. It's definitely not meant for laymen or passersby as it's in a out-of-the-way area - I can't imagine anyone just stumbling into the shop. It's very small and not much to look at - just a small area with stained carpeting.

But, they have just about anything and everything you may need - really meant to be a resource for the professional. They man there was very nice and helpful - I can't remember his name, but his girlfriend got him interested in magic. I really enjoyed my time talking with him.

Ron
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Thanks Ron,

That definitely sounds like one of the places to go. I will tell everyone all about my experience when I get back.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Allan, I believe planet mirth is still across from Denny's magic so you can "kill two rabbits with one wand". Earl is a delight to talk magic with and clowning if you wish to. Also do not miss the Gerry McCambridge show if you can catch it out there. He will have you certainly mystified and who knows.... you may be selected to participate in one of his "experiments". Have fun but watch out for the pamplet peddlers on the streets. I saw them trying to do "street magic" and they got caught by the police for scamming/robbing the crowd there.

Snidini
Allan Olive
View Profile
Regular user
Charlotte
180 Posts

Profile of Allan Olive
Thanks for the tips Snidini.
BrainMagos
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of BrainMagos
Anybody knows where Armando Lucero performs in Vegas?

Thank you,

BM
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
The Greatest Magic Show put on by Kevin James is in Vegas. Plenty of top notch performers some through there.

Matt
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 01:38, Snidini wrote:
Allan, I believe planet mirth is still across from Denny's magic so you can "kill two rabbits with one wand".

Sadly, Earl closed up shop last year.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Dave, I didn't know that. I am sorry to hear he closed. Hopefully it wasn't for health reasons. Earl is one great guy and always, had time for you when you visited his store. Do you know if he ever got his miniture circus museum off the ground. He had said he had wanted to open that up and was a work in progress.

Snidini
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » So Happy together... » » Where to go in Vegas... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL