The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Snapping loudly and clearly. (How to?) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MOTO42
View Profile
Loyal user
Whitehouse Texas
225 Posts

Profile of MOTO42
This didn't seem to fit into any other forum.

How does one develop the ability to snap one's fingers loudly and clearly?

I like to use a snapping of the fingers to indicate the "magic moment" in a routine. It is such an enjoyable sound, and the tools necessary are always close at hand. Thus, I have been ever envious of performers capable of summoning forth a veritable thunderclap from their fingertips.

So I come to The Magic Café, in search of enlightenment, and thank those magi that contribute to the discussion.

Currently, I can get a clean sounding crack from my left hand, however my right will only produce a dull, thumping noise.
"One man's miracle is another man's warm-up"
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
No easy answer, practice, practice, practice, the more you practice the stronger your fingers will become, then the more pressure you can apply and more strength you can exert to make the snap.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Dry fingers are important. You might try rubbing your fingers on an alcohol pad (secretly hidden) and giving the alcohol time to dry before snapping your fingers and see if that helps.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
It's as similar to riding a bike as you can get. You can only practice. My finger position is thumb and middle finger together, with the index finger giving it an extra push. Make sure that the middle finger and the thumb do not meet right at the tips, but more like the flesh of the thumb contacting the first bend of the finger.
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Ahem... excuse me, but I personally found out that it works better with really wet fingers (the surface of the fingertip gets bigger, making more sound therefore).
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
I'll put in my 2 cents on the snap.
My experiments show that while the pressure of the thumb to middle finger is important, equally if not more important is the position of the ring finger. If you hold the ring finger too far back there is no hollow portion of the hand cavity for the pop to resonate in. Try moving the position of the ring finger up gradually toward the base of the thumb. You will find that the pitch of the snap will go higher and the cavity will enhance the sound of the pop. I have always had a very loud pop, both snapping and clapping. Yes, I am a percussive person, happy snapping!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I think Jerrines advice is good. I also can snap my fingers pretty loudly. I always could, but it got even louder a few years back when I got a...don't laugh... A CLAPPER!! You know those goofy things that you use to turn on and off lights?

I got one a while back for a light that was a pain to get to. I always felt like a schmuck standing there clapping my hands. Until I found that I could activate it by snapping my fingers. Pretty soon I could put the thing on the setting that requires the most noise and still work it by snapping.

So like everything, I believe it starts with good mechanics and practice helps. Maybe you should go buy a clapper. LOL.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I'll make this simple for you.....have children! You'll get PLENTY of practice with snapping your fingers. I find that my snap can work miracles now that I've had 2 children.
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
And, of course, just like magic.....PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! Smile
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Quote:
For me, it's the opposite. If I apply some moisture to the finger tip, than lots of pressure, the sound is louder than without. It must be just me Smile

no, no, me too! read my post above.
magicalaurie
View Profile
Inner circle
Ontario, Canada
2962 Posts

Profile of magicalaurie
What an interesting question. Smile Anyone see the "snapper" on "America's Got Talent" ? Bet he'd have some tips. Smile
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
I'll bet he has a few children! Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Snapping loudly and clearly. (How to?) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL