The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » "Endorsement" Query (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
I would like to join I.B.M., but the signatures of two current members are required as "endorsements."

If I don't know any exisiting members, does that mean I'm ineligible to join the organization?

I've noticed the Society of American Magicians does not make such a demand.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
119 Posts

Profile of docmagik
Some good comments on this here:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......96&7
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Thank you, docmagik. The ideas on that thread were somewhat helpful. But doesn't the range of solutions expressed -- from contacting total strangers to serve as "endorsers," to learning that IBM staff will occasionally sign for the applicant, all lead one to believe that the endorsement requirement is little more than an annoying frivolity?

Anyway, thanks again.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Mark,
So far every post here except one has been to complain about the requirements. IBM, as well as here, relies on contributions from its members to thrive. You'll still have to convince someone of your sincerity before they sign for you. From what I've seen so far, even if you went the Ring 2100 route, it'll take some convincing before I'd put my name on the line for you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
Dave,
What would constitute "sincerity"? It's a subjective qualification, perceived differently among members. Also (while not trying to split hairs too much on this issue), how would applicants prove that they'd be good "contributors" to the organization?

Does IBM have definitions for either term? If so, they should be made clear to all members. If not, seems to me the good folks in administration should either establish some...or drop the entire endorsement requirement.

As it stands now, potentially great members are getting turned away at the gate, while poseurs and exposers could be slipping in through the side door.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I can't tell from your message which group you belong to, great members or poseurs.

It seems you've already made your decision anyway so debating any further is simply a waste of time and energy. Good luck to you, and to the group who accepts you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Michael Taggert
View Profile
Special user
Fredericksburg Virginia
656 Posts

Profile of Michael Taggert
An excellent point Dave.
the basic purpose of the IBM is to promote fellowship and communication in the art form. This requires that there be interaction among oneself and other magicians in order for the association to benefit the member. This is why such entities exist as ring 2100. so people like marknem7 can find and communicate with others. I personally drive a long distance each month to attend meetings. because of my presence in the right five others in my area have started attending. our ring has members(myself Included) that drive more than an hour to get to a meeting. They benefit from the personal interaction that we get at the meeting. The officers of the ring ensure that each new person is meet at the door and is put in contact with someone who will act as a steward to bring the new member in and see that they begin to thrive in our ring. a lot of this mentoring has to do with personality. this is something that I cannot do over the internet or via mail. I have to get to know the person. we as magicians take great pride in our skill to read people. Meeting some one in person is important to knowing each other and shareing our craft.
remember this is not an open door. the honor is to be accepted. and to be able to share in a private closed door environment. We welcome new members but if they show up with a FOX news crew maybe not so much. even in many online forums you must "prove " yourself through what you write. This forum isn't a chat room for strry eyed teens looking for the latest gossip this is a place where we can go and do our work.
Thus the need to have two sponsors is a need that will stay. It is a mile stone that adds value to the acceptance into oue organization. it is an honor you have to work for.
Michael
leonardburton
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of leonardburton
I know this thread is dated but I am a new IBM member.

I knew an IBM member who would sign for me but he wasn't able to sign my form because of Logistical Issues (ie both of our schedules were busy).

At the first ring meeting I went to I got up and gave a performance. I wowed em and had several members wanting to sign my form, too bad they only had space for two Smile.

I think if you go to a meeting and give a good performance members will be wanting to give you an endorsement.

Take Care,

Leonard
- Leonard
leonardburton@gmail.com
[www.callingmrroberts.com/]
[www.snakeoilmagic.com/]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The International Brotherhood of Magicians! » » "Endorsement" Query (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL