The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2007 entrée: Michael Close » » Creating a Worker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James Schwab
View Profile
New user
14 Posts

Profile of James Schwab
Hello Michael

One of my favorite things about your routines is how well thought out they are. In your writings you talk about how to find unworkable tricks and fix them. I like to try to apply that concept to my own magic. However, there are many routines that have problems that could be solved possibly through presentation or a new method. What criteria do you use to decide if an effect is worth spending the time on before you start working on it?
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
You are correct that there are many, many routines in the literature that are just waiting for someone to add the small fixes that will turn them into practical, real-world effects. For me, the first thing is this: is there something about the effect (or the method) that piques my interest. This is indefinable, and would be different for each person. The second, and biggest question, as I start to play with a trick is: can I think of something to say when I perform it? If I can't construct an engaging and entertaining presentation, I just let the trick go.

Close
Magicmatt1982
View Profile
Loyal user
Southeren IL
295 Posts

Profile of Magicmatt1982
IN my lecture micheal I talk about the why . Why did that card turn face up in the deck, why am I going to my pocket. I would like for you thoughts on this if you have any.
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
I have absolutely no idea why you are going to your pocket. Smile

All kidding aside, understanding why a performer has made certain decisions in the construction of a routine is very valuable information. This is why I am so interested when a pro tips a routine that has been part of their working repertoire. Often times this information can be applied to other tricks.

On the other hand, if you are talking about providing presentational explanations of why certain things happen during a routine, I think this is valuable as well. I think David Regal did a three-DVD set that discussed this very issue.

Close
One Man
View Profile
Elite user
Frederick, MD
491 Posts

Profile of One Man
Have you ever come across a trick that you loved but could not find a presentational hook for? No matter how hard you tried or how many times you came back to it?
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
Absolutely. This is why I have never done the Linking Rings, the Cups and Balls, or the Egg Bag professionally. I simply can't think of anything interesting to say as I'm doing the trick.

Close
JasonEngland
View Profile
V.I.P.
Las Vegas, NV
1729 Posts

Profile of JasonEngland
Michael,

I'm curious, do you mean that you can't think of anything interesting to say that hasn't been said by someone else already, or you can't think of anything to say about these tricks period?

I'm guessing it's the former?

Jason England

PS: Nice seeing you at the Castle a few weeks back.
Eternal damnation awaits anyone who questions God's unconditional love. --Bill Hicks
mclose
View Profile
V.I.P.
306 Posts

Profile of mclose
Hey Jason, good to see you too.

Yes, my problem is that I can't think of anything meaningful or original to say about these props. The rings, the egg bag, and the cups are such "pure" props that the people who do them best (Whit Haydn, Jeff Hobson, David Williamson, Gazzo for example) use them as ways to showcase their stage personas. I just haven't figured out how to make that work for me.

Close
Scott Fridinger
View Profile
Special user
Gloucester Pt, VA
893 Posts

Profile of Scott Fridinger
I saw you perform Dean's Box at Houdini's when it first came out. It was great and I bought it due to your performance. However, I have not used it yet. This is because I haven't figured out what to do with it. I have bought everything which contains a routine of the Box, hoping that something would hit me, but as of yet, nothing.

Also, I recently purchased David Regal's There and Back, another case where I love the effect, but his routine is just not for me. I think I have figured that one out, we will see.

As far as the Rings and Cups, have you ever put them to any of your own music? That would indeed be wonderful to see. I know you may not use it professionally, but many would appreciate such a routine I think.
www.JustGreatMagic.com
Sleight of Hand, Sleight of Mind
Martino
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, UK
928 Posts

Profile of Martino
Mike,

D*mn! You mean that Cups and Balls routine on your "Workers" video wasn't for real! Smile

Martin.
"There's a difference between not knowing how something is done and knowing it can't be done!" - Simon Aronson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The January 2007 entrée: Michael Close » » Creating a Worker » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL